Backlash From Match Officials ?

East_Stand_Al

Today same as last week v Hibs we played against a very physical side who kicked and pushed our players up and down the pitch with little or no protection from the Ref.

Could this be a backlash to the criticism aimed at them by Jim Gannon during his tenure as 'Well boss ?

Scottish officials are among the most inept in european football, which makes it easy for the media + ref bosses to tag in the "only a mistake" line on occasions actual cheating does happen (ie halfbreed linesman + Forbes goal v h**s)

They have a very difficult job to do, something I know I could never do. The media spotlight and coverage is massive these days and every error is magnified and disected to the nth degree. However, when they make the most basic mistakes and get easy decisions wrong I lose any sympathy I had for them.

Scottish officials are among the most inept in european football, which makes it easy for the media + ref bosses to tag in the "only a mistake" line on occasions actual cheating does happen (ie halfbreed linesman + Forbes goal v h**s)

to be fair my first assumption was that forbes was offside and the linesman was right next to me , maybe that just proves i'm fickle enough to be a linesman :woop:

I try and be rational when talking about refs. I thought yesterday's was good as he let the game flow and actually helped it develop and as such there were lots of chances. Everyone moaned about Richmond a few weeks ago when he didn't stop blowing at the Accies game and as such it ended up being a turgid 0-0 battle. If Thomson had done that this game could have been the same. I would accept he missed a few but erring on the side of leniency as long as its done consistently is better than whistle happy cretins we get some weeks. And I thought the boy who did the Hibs game was the same.

As for Forbes' yellow card don't get me started! A joke of a decision.

As for Forbes' yellow card don't get me started! A joke of a decision.

It's the inconsistancy here that drives you mental. Forbes gets booked for kicking the ball away but earlier on Well get a free kick and some Saints player walks away with the ball and then throws it off the pitch . Under the laws of the game is that not the same thing ?

Do you remember the European games?

Most Scottish refs are better than most of the European refs that I've seen.

Probably the worst refereeing performance I've ever seen was Anders Frisk against Borussia, supposedly one of the top refs in Europe at the time!

The Forbes goal was a disgrace but you can't tar everyone with that brush.

My main problem with Scottish referees is things like the lack of accountability, not speaking to the media, the general incestuousness and aloofness of the refereeing fraternity, the ridiculous appeals system etc...

Do you remember the European games?

Most Scottish refs are better than most of the European refs that I've seen.

Probably the worst refereeing performance I've ever seen was Anders Frisk against Borussia, supposedly one of the top refs in Europe at the time!

The Forbes goal was a disgrace but you can't tar everyone with that brush.

My main problem with Scottish referees is things like the lack of accountability, not speaking to the media, the general incestuousness and aloofness of the refereeing fraternity, the ridiculous appeals system etc...

Thats why I said among the worst,yes theres other refs in europe as bad but as a whole group,Scottish ref`s are CONSISTENTLY shocking. Are they ever going to improve? Why should they? No accountability, pure arrogance, ability to judge their own mistakes on appeals, their pals + media at the ready to round the wagons when anything bad is said,

so they can turn up at 2pm,have a wee jog n blether with their pals,do whatever the fuck they want during the match in the knowledge that no matter how bad they are theyre bulletproof + drive home at 5pm with £800 in their pocket. its a joke

It's the inconsistancy here that drives you mental. Forbes gets booked for kicking the ball away but earlier on Well get a free kick and some Saints player walks away with the ball and then throws it off the pitch . Under the laws of the game is that not the same thing ?

Letter of the law or not, it's all about context... referees have always taken stronger action against timewasting antics towards the end of a game. Not just in Scotland, and not just recently.

Letter of the law or not, it's all about context... referees have always taken stronger action against timewasting antics towards the end of a game.

And thats where the ref got it horrendously wrong yesterday. Ross Forbes was not time wasting.

When Forbes received the ball at our end of the pitch there was a cacaphony of noise. The ref then blew his whistle which none of us heard and Rossco didn't either (you could tell by the expression on his face). He continued to play on in all ignorance. A yellow card? Not in my book just sheer refereeing incompetence.