Is The Season Over?

Burn_Broomfield

I personally think that the season is over, I think we are just to far back from 3rd and 4th and our best chances of success was the Cup. I couldn't guve a fuck if we get top six our not as(financially its better to be 6) it doesn't matter a jot where you finish as long as relegation isn't an issue. From a personal perspective this really finishes my interest in the season when we play Inverness away as it is the only game worth going to. Oh Scottish football really is pants

Top six at best I'm afraid! Blame the pitch if you like but in my opinion Fitzpatrick brings nothing to our side :O . Dont get me wrong Im not pointing the blame at him alone but he offers nothing to the side at all. Surely if he is playing on the left hand side as hes the only natural left sided player he should be able to put a ball in the box?

I have to be honest and say that i do not rate marc the way i should for a well player, however i get the impression that mcghee tells him to go in to the middle ov the park when we dont have the ball to help the middle ov the park and the fans dont realise what he is doing for the team,because he is playing a position that we disagree with? ie playing to much like a centre midfielder when we think he should be playing on the left?

Is our season over? Not yet IMO.

If we manage to put together another good - winning, not drawing - run then we could still be in with a shout of challenging for the European place. It's a long shot, but it's still technically possible as I honestly don't think that there is much difference between the majority of the sides outwith the OF clubs. On the other hand, if we were to hit the slumps now and go on another run like we did pre-Christmas, then we could very easily be sucked right back into the relegation issue. Again at the moment that looks like a long shot, but when you consider that Inverness under new management may well start to pick up their confidence and therefore their form then that might not yet be a foregone conclusion as yet.

We have some extremely testing fixtures coming up, with Celtic at home and then away up at Inverness next weekend, it's very possible that we could lose both games. Inverness, meanwhile have Hibs at home this weekend and would anyone bet against them getting all three points from that one considering how hit and miss Hibs are? It's all ifs buts and maybes of course, but after 2007 when we were 16 clear at the beginning of March and only survived relegation by the skins of our teeth, I'm taking nothing for granted yet. I don't think we will be relegated at the moment, but we all know that Terry Butcher will get his sides fired up to give anyone as good as they get, so don't count out Inverness just yet.

On the relegation issue, as I was reminded last night, we were only ahead of two teams in the Malpas year. This time we are ahead of five. I don't see us, no matter how poor a run we go on, being overtaken by all of them. Problem for me is we are not scoring enough. THe unbeaten run were all 1-0, 1-1, 0-0 games except United away, Inverurie away and Inverness at home. The positive from that is we are defending effectively. The problem is we are not scoring enough at the other end. Our lack of a final ball will be the undoing of us. I think we Hibs and us will scrap it out for sixth. If we make it, as Aberdeen showed last season, even if you are a wee bit back you can still be in the Euro race. They were one result away. So not over yet.

It is still possible that we can reach 5th place. That would be enough for European football next season. All we need to garauntee that is an old firm final or at least the winner already being in the top 4.

It's already been shown this season that any team outwith the old firm can beat the rest. The league and each club it's to tight to call at the moment.

We need to make sure that after Sunday we get on awinning run of 4 or 5 games. If we win on Sunday even better but I'm not feeling that confident about it at the minute.

Getting put out of the Scottish Cup is always a sore one to take. The most frustrating thing is last nights performance pretty much summed up our season so far - to many games we've had plenty of possesion yet have failed to capitalise by not creating enough good enough chances that our strikers can score from. We're not that far away from 3rd or 4th points wise but anyone having those dreams this season is a little deluded as we're a long way off last seasons performances in which we quite rightly deserved European football.

It's no where near over yet. If by the split we are stil 7th then ask me again.

Totally agree - lets rack up as many points as we can before the split then take it from there. Anything is possible...

Who would have thought that this time two yeasr ago we'd have acheived what we had?!

Have a little faith...

Just a little mind - it is Motherwell we are talking about!

Correct Mon_da_well, we do have a good squad. Some arses are needing booted, players dropped and some told where to go but if we can find a wee bit of form starting on saturday the top 4 or 5 is not entirely out of our reach. My team for saturday would be...

Smith

Quinn Reynolds Craigan Hammell

O'Brien Lasley Klimpl Fitzpatrick

Murphy Sutton

A strange lineup you probably think but in my opinion Clarkson needs a rest, Hughes has been terrible for weeks and if Fitzpatrick was turning in performances like that he would have been publicly lynched by the boo boys by now. I think our defence has to stay like it is, they havent been playing too badly and we dont really have much scope for change. On the subject of Fitzpatrick i personally think he has played well for the last few games, i used to be a big critic of him and im certainly not part of the happy clappy brigade but he works hard and generally made it difficult for St Mirren last night until he was taken off, we really have nobody else to play out on that left side althogh id be tempted to put Boab in the middle and shunt Lasley out to left mid, dropping fitzy and see how it works. Murphy and Sutton both deserve their chances regardless of Sheridan being elidgble to play or not on Saturday id still give Sutton the nod and Murphy has been left out of first team affairs for a wee while now so i think he will be raring to go. Its easy to forget after last night that we are on a good wee run in the league at present. Hopefully a shuffle of the playing staff and a rocket up their arses from McGhee and the team can start making amends for last night, lets get behind the boys for the rest of the season and show them they have our support.

'Mon the well!

Lose on Sunday and the season is all but dead.

Then we can look forward to watching Motherwell focus their attentions on improving a very raw 'talent' from Parkhead at the expense of players dedicated to the club such as Sutton and Murphy.

I'd fucking love Sutton to score the winner on Sunday. Stick it right up McGhee.

We have only lost 1 game in 2009 - ok last night was a sore one but live TV and the 'well just don't go. Our defence has looked much better in recent weeks and we don't look likley to ship a load of goals.

We need to play Clarky and Hughes as they are still our best players.

Looking forward to Sunday for many reasons ....

1> A live TV game that we're not expected to take anything from

2> Canny wait to see Klimpl against Scott Brown

3> Real chance for Sutton to show that he shouldn't have made way for Sheridan

4> The pre-match excuses from Celtic about the state of our pitch

Correct Mon_da_well, we do have a good squad. Some arses are needing booted, players dropped and some told where to go but if we can find a wee bit of form starting on saturday the top 4 or 5 is not entirely out of our reach. My team for saturday would be...

Smith

Quinn Reynolds Craigan Hammell

O'Brien Lasley Klimpl Fitzpatrick

Murphy Sutton

A strange lineup you probably think but in my opinion Clarkson needs a rest, Hughes has been terrible for weeks and if Fitzpatrick was turning in performances like that he would have been publicly lynched by the boo boys by now. I think our defence has to stay like it is, they havent been playing too badly and we dont really have much scope for change. On the subject of Fitzpatrick i personally think he has played well for the last few games, i used to be a big critic of him and im certainly not part of the happy clappy brigade but he works hard and generally made it difficult for St Mirren last night until he was taken off, we really have nobody else to play out on that left side althogh id be tempted to put Boab in the middle and shunt Lasley out to left mid, dropping fitzy and see how it works. Murphy and Sutton both deserve their chances regardless of Sheridan being elidgble to play or not on Saturday id still give Sutton the nod and Murphy has been left out of first team affairs for a wee while now so i think he will be raring to go. Its easy to forget after last night that we are on a good wee run in the league at present. Hopefully a shuffle of the playing staff and a rocket up their arses from McGhee and the team can start making amends for last night, lets get behind the boys for the rest of the season and show them they have our support.

'Mon the well!

Interesting lineup but seems like the right thing to do. Even if we are beaten a goal from either Sutton or Murphy would hopefully give them a boost.

After checking the history books, it would appear that limping badly out of the cup with not much fight has been rife every year since the year we won it!! Only the following year as holders when we got beat 2-1 at Ibrox with O'Donnell scoring a cracker could we say we gave everything we got before getting put out.

1993 - Rangers 2-0 at Fir Park. Opening of the south stand and out played. At least it was a "big team".

1994 - Dundee Utd 1-0 at Fir Park. After going to the trouble of beating Celtic in the 3rd round and taking

the first Utd game to a replay thanks to a Philliben last minute equaliser, we couldn't come up with

the goods on what was the last time the Cooper end terracing with packed with Well fans.

1995 - Hibs 2-0 at Easter Road. Another disapointment as a decent Well team go out in a year we felt we

could go further. At least Hibs were half decent that season and we did have 2 men sent off!

1996 - Aberdeen 2-0 at Fir Park. This was a poor Motherwell team and even although Aberdeen weren't

any better, I didn't get my hopes up.

1997 - Dundee Utd 4-1 at Tannadice. After a good win over Thistle and Accies taking us to a replay we were

hammered by a decent Utd side in the quarters.

1998 - Rangers 3-0 at Ibrox. The last time we met either of the big two in the earlier rounds, which makes

our non existant cup runs even more galling. We would've beat them aswell if Woods hadn't chosen

the first game to make his worst ever mistake in a Motherwell jersey to help Durie make it 2-2.

Pumped in the replay but no disgrace really. Dumbarton took us to a replay in the 3rd round also!

1999 St Johnstone 2-0 at Fir Park. We beat Hearts 3-1 in what was one of the best games I've ever been

too and after 2 or 3 false starts got past Stirling Albion only to be undone in a very disapointing game.

2000 Ayr Utd 4-3 at Fir Park. A game that still gives me nightmares!! Our highly paid team couldn't even

negotiate past a 1st Division Ayr side with a then 2nd Division Partick Thistle awaiting the winners in

the quarters. Simply awful.

2001 Dundee Utd 2-0 at Fir Park. I think we only had 1 center half available for this game due to injury and

suspension. At least we managed to beat St Mirren in the previous round!

2002 Dumfermline 3-0 at East End Park. Nuff said.

2003 - Rangers 4-3 at Hampden. The exception to every other year. A glorious run and fanstastic

performance on the day meant we could leave Hampden gutted but with our heads held high.

2004 - Inverness 1-0 at Fir Park. Gorodn Marshall beaten with a speculative shot from 40 yards. very

disapointing.

2005 - Kilmarnock 2-0 at Rugby Park. Just didn't turn up.

2006 - St Mirren 3- 0 at Love Street. An embarrassing gubbing by a then 1st Division team.

2007 - 2-1 St Johnstone at Fir Park. One of the worst performances I can remember seeing from a

Motherwell team. With the semi finals at stake aswell.

2008 - Dundee 2-1 at Fir Park. Out to another 1st Division team. I think we blamed the pitch for this one.

2009 - St Mirren 1-0. Don't have to explain this one....

Not over.

We are 9 points behind Hearts with Aberdeen, Dundee United (on Beeb Alba), Hearts, ICT and both sides of the Old Firm to play before the split.

Hearts have us, United, Aberdeen, Old Firm, St Midden, Kilmarnock and Hibs to play before the split.

United have us, Falkirk, Aberdeen, Hearts, Celtic, Hibs and Accies before the split

Aberdeen have us, United, Hearts, Midden, Celtic, Hibs and ICT.

Now, if we make the top six we then have to play Aberdeen, Hearts, Dundee Utd and the Old Firm again. So by god the league is no where near over. United and Aberdeen are beginning to crumble, Hearts could explode any minute!

9 points or even better 7 is nothing to make up if we keep on going and keep on backing the team. Anyone who says it is over are being very defeatist. Not realistic, but defeatist to be fair.