Law

Dazzer

Law is there to create goals as his goal scoring record is awful. This is a point McCall himself addressed stating he needs to start scoring more. So i wouldn't expect him to turn into a goal machine just coz he's moved to Motherwell. And as for you can't take into account form at previous clubs that is probably the worst pish i've ever heard. How do you think clubs decide to sign a player? Do you think they say that guys really shite but we'll sign him & hope he turns into a player or do you think they say that guy is the dogs baws let's sign him & hope he keeps up that level? What's the point of having scouts if how someone is currently playing is irrelevant?

• Like 1

So why did we sign Scott McDonald? A guy so pish that he couldn't get a contract with a club with 13 players... Jutkiewicz had only scored 5 goals in 40 odd performances, and had a major attitude problem and would shirk away before joining us

You can't take what they have done for an argument like this without looking at the tactics of the clubs they were playing for, the guys around them, the teams they were playing and how they set-up and many, many more. Looking at wikipedia or soccerbase tells you fuck all about a player. Cause guess what Scouts certainly don't look at their stats and think good/bad.

• Like 2

Law is there to create goals as his goal scoring record is awful. This is a point McCall himself addressed stating he needs to start scoring more. So i wouldn't expect him to turn into a goal machine just coz he's moved to Motherwell. And as for you can't take into account form at previous clubs that is probably the worst pish i've ever heard. How do you think clubs decide to sign a player? Do you think they say that guys really shite but we'll sign him & hope he turns into a player or do you think they say that guy is the dogs baws let's sign him & hope he keeps up that level? What's the point of having scouts if how someone is currently playing is irrelevant?

Knowone said he would be a goal machine did they, 5-10 goals per season is hardly goal machine material do you think!

So why did we sign Scott McDonald? A guy so pish that he couldn't get a contract with a club with 13 players... Jutkiewicz had only scored 5 goals in 40 odd performances, and had a major attitude problem and would shirk away before joining us

You can't take what they have done for an argument like this without looking at the tactics of the clubs they were playing for, the guys around them, the teams they were playing and how they set-up and many, many more. Looking at wikipedia or soccerbase tells you fuck all about a player. Cause guess what Scouts certainly don't look at their stats and think good/bad.

Er isn't that exactly what i said? That they go and watch a player and form an opinion. That opinion is based on there performance for that team so how can you say how they played for another team is irrelevant?

Jutkiewicz wasn't good enough for Everton but id imagine he looked good in their reserves plus a good word from a manager like Moyes would be taken as an honest assessment of his abilities. And i pretty sure we didn't just find McDonald in a box of dolly mixtures im just having a stab in the dark here but im gonna say that he was watched and signed on the way he performed for whoever he was playing with.

The bottom line is how anyone can say when looking to sign a professional sportsman current form is irrelevant is utter tosh. Why don't we sign Jim Baxter he's utter pish now but hey he used to be good.

Scott mcdonald didnt have a club when we signed him and jim Baxter is dead.

Marty Ian was being sarcastic re Jim Baxter

As for Scott McDonald he played for Gippsland Falcons in the old Australian NSL, where he became the club's youngest ever making his first-team debut aged just fifteen. In the UK he started off as a trainee with Southampton in 2001 where he managed only three appearances (one first-team start and two as a substitute), being loaned to Huddersfield when reaching the end of his contract with Southampton he signed for Wimbledon on a rolling monthly contract. He had a trial with Dundee United before he signed for Motherwell.

Thanks steelman I was well aware that Ian was being sarcastic regarding jim Baxter however using a player that was alive would have helped to put his point across better.

Regarding McDonald, although he was on a month to month contract he was effectively without club as we got him for nothing. He had played 2 games in total for Wimbledon. So IMO I wouldn't say he was signed based on being watched and signed from his performances with his previous club. I'd say he was signed based on impressing while he was on trial.

I missed the Caley game as I was on holiday, but caught the Leeds game on my way to Prestwick and was seriously impressed with Law. Looked like he's got the ability to really take on players, which we've been missing since O'Brien or McCormack. Exciting times!

Thanks steelman I was well aware that Ian was being sarcastic regarding jim Baxter however using a player that was alive would have helped to put his point across better.

Regarding McDonald, although he was on a month to month contract he was effectively without club as we got him for nothing. He had played 2 games in total for Wimbledon. So IMO I wouldn't say he was signed based on being watched and signed from his performances with his previous club. I'd say he was signed based on impressing while he was on trial.

You can't get anyone with worse current form than i dead guy so it makes the point perfectly clear.

McDonald was given a trial by word of mouth or previous form but he was signed after being watched. Unless there was no members of the management team watching him when he was having his trial.

The point is unless you are Souness then all players are signed after being watched by management/scouting team so therefore current form with whoever you play for is the key factor in signing a player. Saying someones current form is irrelevent because it's with another club is tosh.

Tommy McLean shaped teams by buying players you wouldn't have touched in a million years.

For example - Brian Martin was honking in midfield for St.Mirren, signed him and turned him into a fantastic center-back.

However, I agree most signings are based on players current form and how they would fit into the team shape.

There's nothing better when a player off the radar makes a huge impact.

Nicky Law looks like he is going to be a major player individually and to the team, with players like Hammell getting a new lease of life.

Great signing - well done S.McCall.

I think the opposite tbh. I can't remember when Hammell had someone who would cover him like Law has. Just look where Law was when Hammell scored on Saturday.

I think Hammell be used to 2-on-1 now since it is basically always been the way for him

I think the opposite tbh. I can't remember when Hammell had someone who would cover him like Law has. Just look where Law was when Hammell scored on Saturday.

I think Hammell be used to 2-on-1 now since it is basically always been the way for him

Several times on sat jeno or las had to cover for him as he was in the middle or closers to humph, no having a go at him, over the moon we have a creative attaching mid fielder, just concerned that a good winger might give him a hard time

Here we go again, try being positive about the chances of scoring goals not negative, If your terrible in front of goal you dont score goals end of chat, Law and Humphrey have the ability to score goals, maybe not as many as i want but they have the ability to score goals.

Lets just stick to the positive points of our players not the OLD stats, onwards and upwards Ya Bezzer, not doom and gloom.

POSITIVE please Ya Bezzer!

I've been pretty positive this season. I said the Leeds performance was good, praised the team on Saturday and said that outside of the OF, Hearts and possibly Dundee Utd there is absolutely nothing for us to fear this season. I expect us to finish Top 6 this season and I'm usually much more cautious. I'm even going along to Kilmarnock this weekend, my first non Scottish Cup/League Cup away match for about 12 years. I wouldn't be doing that if I wasn't upbeat about the potential of the team this season, especially since I'm not exactly flush with money right now.

But if you are asking me if Humphrey and Law are going score 10 goals each, then, realistically that is not going to happen. They aren't going to score 10 goals between them most likely.