Champions League

TheLip69

Duscussing this in the pub last night after the Celtic game.

With the distinct probability of Rangers being docked points for going into administration, and the fact that we have two representatives in the Champions League next year, does anyone feel it would be a worthwhile gamble for the likes of us, we are in the driving seat, Dundee Utd and Hearts to go into debt and splash a bit of cash in January to try and nick second place. Specualting to accumulate in other words.

My own view, I'm a cynical bastard at the best of times, if Rangers are docked points they will get them back tenfold in penalties, and opponents having goals disallowed and men sent off.

The Football establishment in Scotland will do all they can to get Rangers into that second Champions league spot, if not the first.

Duscussing this in the pub last night after the Celtic game.

With the distinct probability of Rangers being docked points for going into administration, and the fact that we have two representatives in the Champions League next year, does anyone feel it would be a worthwhile gamble for the likes of us, we are in the driving seat, Dundee Utd and Hearts to go into debt and splash a bit of cash in January to try and nick second place. Specualting to accumulate in other words.

My own view, I'm a cynical bastard at the best of times, if Rangers are docked points they will get them back tenfold in penalties, and opponents having goals disallowed and men sent off.

The Football establishment in Scotland will do all they can to get Rangers into that second Champions league spot, if not the first.

IF and I still believe it's a big IF Rangers do go into administration, I'll believe it when I see it, then first of all if they are not docked at least ten points which the current penalty for clubs going into administration is then we can all just pack up, go home and forget about Scottish Football as the credibilty of the game up here would be completely and utterly destroyed. There is no doubt in my view that Rangers, as part of the 'Old Firm' package are highly important to Scottish Football in terms of television coverage and sponsorships but that should not exclude them from the standard penalties of clubs entering administration and if it does then there really would be no credibility left in the game in Scotland.

However, in my own view, and I'm a negative dour bastard at the best of times, I reckon that even if Rangers were docked 10 points then they would still in all probabilty be able to finish 2nd in the SPL. Let's face it, had this happened last season when they finished THIRTY points ahead of Hearts in third place then they would still have comfortably secured second place. Obviously it would open the window a little bit more for non 'Old Firm' clubs to finish second but even then, there is such a substantial gap between them and the rest of Scottish football that it would take a brave man to bet on it happening.

And oh aye, we still wouldny be able to beat Rangers, no matter how much shit they get into off the park. :rolleyes:

No Rangers would be banned from Europe unless they can prove to UEFA they are not in Administration by the end of March. Going into administration after this date (even during the close season) will also not protect them from banishment, even if the SFA sign their UEFA Certificate and say they can play in Europe.

This has already been shown when Mallorca were banned from Europe despite the Spanish Football Association given them the UEFA Certificate. Mallorca even offered to put up a bond of £5m to cover all travel, wages, security costs and it was rejected. Rangers would be no different.

Pompey were denied access into the Europa two years ago due to being in administration, were they not? Could be interesting this season. I can see Rangers going into administration but they could make up necessary funds in an instance. However, should they fall into administration and not make up funds (within a certain period of time = Point deduction?) and not be eligible for Champions League or even Europa, we could see ourselves in the Champions league next season which would be.... Wrong. Just saying, I'd be embarrassed to get into that competition due to a technicality.

Although My pride would by far over weigh my embarrassment thumbup.gif

Aye, it would be a right beamer playing Juventus or Real Madrid in the Champions League at Fir Park, not to mention the added riddy i'd get from the return leg at the Bernabeau or the new Juve stadium.

I dunno how i'd be able to look my Falkirk supporting mates in the eye.

Aye, it would be a right beamer playing Juventus or Real Madrid in the Champions League at Fir Park, not to mention the added riddy i'd get from the return leg at the Bernabeau or the new Juve stadium.

Or we'd get a Malmo, get pumped oot none the less and still not get a bigger crowd than we would in a game against Aalesunds :rolleyes:

But if we some how ended up in the Camp Nou watching the Well I think I'd be nursing a semi the full match.

If we finished Second due to Rangers' point deduction, I'd be ecstatic however If we finish third and get it because rangers aren't allowed in, I'd be a little embarrassed.

However, to go out against a team like Juventus would be an honour, but only if we deserve to be there in the first place.

I think if Rangers are forced into administration, and that is not something I'd bet on, they would time it so they would be able to get out of administration before the Euro deadline.

The potential cash bonanza from Champions League is so large that missing out on it could negate the benefit of going into administration in the first place so I reckon Rangers would pull out every stop to make sure that Champions League qualification wasn't effected.

As for us, we shouldn't go into debt ever again and as far as I know we have nowhere to borrow the money anyway since the banks won't lend to football clubs anymore.

As for us, we shouldn't go into debt ever again and as far as I know we have nowhere to borrow the money anyway since the banks won't lend to football clubs anymore.

Aye but I bet there are more fans would part with £150 for a highlights DVD and basic open day if the club said they were looking to raise £1.5M not for a rainy day but to bring in two more 'big' players for the season on loan and run for a CL spot. :whistling:

If we finished Second due to Rangers' point deduction, I'd be ecstatic however If we finish third and get it because rangers aren't allowed in, I'd be a little embarrassed.

Pish!

Rules are rules, and they may break these rules by going into admin. Exactly the same as if they played a match with 12 players. Pretty sure no-one would be embarassed if the shoe was on the other foot...

Aye but I bet there are more fans would part with £150 for a highlights DVD and basic open day if the club said they were looking to raise £1.5M not for a rainy day but to bring in two more 'big' players for the season on loan and run for a CL spot. :whistling:

Any 'Well fan that agreed to finance a couple 'big players' should be seen as a mental not have their cash taken off them. Any sensible fan would not want us to go down the road of big money because that road lead almost to the death of the club.

As for the Well Society, I'm sure there's a thread elsewhere to dicuss that...

Pish!

Any 'Well fan that agreed to finance a couple 'big players' should be seen as a mental not have their cash taken off them. Any sensible fan would not want us to go down the road of big money because that road lead almost to the death of the club.

As for the Well Society, I'm sure there's a thread elsewhere to discuss that...

Here c*nto, stop climbing the steps of your ivory tower, I'm taking the piss. Not everything you read on the internet is serious talk.

And the unnecessary punctuation at the end of your comment in reference to the well society topic does not make you look right.

EDIT: What? My posts are being edited to remove childish banter aimed at others just because I'm acting like a bit of a dick? I am fairly sure no one on here would get their feels hurt over silly slagging. Well I never. :laugh:

No, Pompey were rejected Europe because they failed to apply for a UEFA Certificate. The fact their Admin within the club did not believe they'd either a) be in the FA Cup Final or b) would not be given it due to administration is neither here nor there. Pompey lost their appeal due to UEFA having strict rules. Officially Mallorca were the first to fall under the new Financial Fair Play rewards. Although other clubs have fell foul too, although most are in other leagues.

Also, if we take Rangers' place in the Champions Quals, it wouldn't be Malmo we'd be getting, it would be the fourth best teams in Spain, England or 3rd best teams in nations like Germany...

Here c*nto, stop climbing the steps of your ivory tower, I'm taking the piss. Not everything you read on the internet is serious talk.

And the unnecessary punctuation at the end of your comment in reference to the well society topic does not make you look right.

EDIT: What? My posts are being edited to remove childish banter aimed at others just because I'm acting like a bit of a dick? I am fairly sure no one on here would get their feels hurt over silly slagging. Well I never. :laugh:

Aye, me either.

agreed :lol:

Even if Rangers did get a 10 point penalty deduction, they'd still beat us in the league and we widnae qualify for that tournament anyway :doh:

What? No-ones talking about us making it through finishing above them as a result of a points deduction.

If they are in Admin, they are in eligible for European competition even if they win the league.

What? Somebody on the Internet thinks I'm a 'c***o'

Aw naw!!! :lol:

Think I'll give this place a miss if I've been bevvying though...

:laugh:

I think if Rangers are forced into administration, and that is not something I'd bet on, they would time it so they would be able to get out of administration before the Euro deadline.

The potential cash bonanza from Champions League is so large that missing out on it could negate the benefit of going into administration in the first place so I reckon Rangers would pull out every stop to make sure that Champions League qualification wasn't effected.

From what I read of the Rangers situation it is extremely difficult to see how they can avoid going into administration. Whyte refuses to say they wont be taken into administration, he also continues to claim that there will still be a Rangers Football Club and it will still be playing at Ibrox. Administration would certainly be a way of ensuring that was the case, in the immediate term at least, whereas allowing the club to be wound up might not.

I think it's a timing thing with Rangers, do they bide their time hoping to get a points cushion before accepting the inevitable, or do they go into administration quickly giving themselves time to rebuild the points deduction.

Rangers annual turnover, circa £60m, is comfortably more than the potential debt to the taxman, so allowing them to continue to trade is the smart thing to do.