Obrien And Sheridan

Rustic

Before obrien and sheridan had even touched a ball for us some people had already made up their minds that they were terrible,now obviously they've shown those people up by being brilliant.obriens gettin motm almost every week and sheridans had a brilliant start.obviously there's been comments about the irish thing but that's total narrow mindedness,why would you not want great young players to better the club?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cant see how Sheridan has showed 'us' up. He played a pretty average 45 mins so dont get where your getting this from. The point about O'brien - Last season and the start of this season we played a 4-3-3 formation, but yet Mcghee pays around a 100k and signs an ought and ought winger so at the time it seemed like a really strange move. Whereas now we are playing with 2 wingers O'brien has been superb and arguably been our top performer in recent weeks. To be honest its just the Celtic connection but i have not heard O'brien get much stick because he has signed fo us.

Cheers Chris...

Glad to hear the positive support for these players,obviously these fans are without the busfare,obrien didn't have a bad start to the season because he never got a bloody chance but was brilliant for the reserves,and people were on about sherridan even before he was on the pitch but now i admit that the fans like him now once he's shown his quality

Why so much resentment?

We have a large amount of closet Rangers fans, thats why. When Sheridan came on yesterday a comment was made behind me "fucksake, this f****n c**t can get tae fuck"

Says it all really.

Sorry, but I seriously doubt that that is the case.

There are plenty of Motherwell fans who resent - openly in some cases - the fact that Bob Malcolm plays for us and who were absolutely disgusted by his signing for the club last year, mainly because of his Rangers connections more than anything else. He he has since won over some of the support, but at the same time there are many who still hate him and don't applaud him and get on his back as soon as he makes a mistake etc.

I have no doubt that some people also resent O'Brien and Sheridan because they came from Celtic, and that, like those who resent Malcolm, is wrong IMO, because any player pulling on the Motherwell jersey should get every chance to prove themselves and Sheridan in particular could do very well for us once he gets up to full fitness.

It is completely wide of the mark to suggest that people who aren't completely supportive of these guys are automatically 'closet Rangers fans', likewise with the Malcolm haters being closet Celtic. They are just either extremely hard to please, or are too stubborn to see past the "Old Firm" connections. We've seen it all before in the past.

Why didnt you just call them bigots in your original post instead of fannying about ?

Id think it was after seeing O'Brien most folk wouldve asked questions about him, he's definately improved but is far from brilliant , if we are seeing him at his best i dont see that there's much between him and McGarry other than an extra wage and fee. Hopefully he will continue to improve though.

If Sheridan scores goals he'll be a hero , if he doesnt folk will moan about him getting a game , i think we'll give him more than 45 mins before deciding if he's brilliant or not though eh ?

BTW I watched the reserves often . We obviously have a different grasp on the word brilliant

Last season and the start of this season we played a 4-3-3 formation, but yet Mcghee pays around a 100k and signs an ought and ought winger so at the time it seemed like a really strange move.

No he never, we got him for free. The only player iv ever been against signing in Mcghee's time here is Bob Malcolm and i stand by it. The sooner he fucks off the better.

No he never, we got him for free. The only player iv ever been against signing in Mcghee's time here is Bob Malcolm and i stand by it. The sooner he fucks off the better.

It's unclear , Motherwell also told us we got over £400k for Porter .........

Bearing in mind United offered cash for O'Brien and Lawwell is the best in the business id be shocked of we got him free.

Personally, I thought Jim O'Brien was absolutely awful in his first few appearances for us. Thankfully he's been given a run in the team and he's proved to be a good player.

I was pleased with the signing of Sheridan and think he'll do a good job for us, and looked decent when he came on yesterday.

Nationality (or preferred nationality) has absolutely nothing to do with it when it comes to the large majority, although no doubt there will be one or two with leanings to either side of the Scum. You need to add Bob Malcolm to your list if you want a fair argument, instead of making it look as though it is a Celtic/Irish thing.

I don't resent either of them. I have no respect for O'Brien as I see no reason, other than bigoted roots, that he mouth's off in the press about wanting to play for Ireland. He's never in a million years gonna get an international cap so why he chooses to bring this up I will never know. This lack of respect is extended to Aiden McGeady, James McCarthy and even Brian McClean.

Why anyone would resent Sheridan is beyond me also. The boy is born and bread Irish so anyone who resents him would be doing so for bigoted reasons.

The point is a really good one.

I personally believe that it's the underlying anti-catholic viepoint that pervade an element of our support. Has been there for years and turns my stomach.

Chris Porter took time to get going for us pre-season last year and he was moaned and groaned about but nothing like what we've seen for o'brien and sheridan before they even kicked a ball.

Sheridan will be a good test - because he came on yesterday, slotted in to the team and performed pretty well. It's hard to see where the critics can go from here. Him coming on and the associated change in formation saved the game for us yesterday. Still while walking out at the end of the game heard people saying he was 'pish'. They either were watching the seagulls or something else entirely is going on.

We can go into denial all we want, this element is part of our support (and steelmenonline membership).

Bob Malcolm's behaviour in the past on and off the field cannot be compared in any way to that of Sheridan and O'Brien - if Bob Malcolm gets criticism, then to a certian extent he's brought it on himself

Did Owen Coyle and Tommy Coyne suffer the stomach churning anti catholic stuff ? I dont really recall . I remember the support chanting their names though. Thats what good performances and goals do

Sheridan was an underwhelming signing , when he was playing for Celtic id have said by the look of him i wouldnt welcome him at Fir Park , he's here now , ill give him the chance to make me eat my words , i mustve missed the effigies being burned of him though.

O'Brien's problems maybe werent entirely of his own making , DLS , McGarry and Murphy could all fill that position equally as well from what ive seen so he was a strange signing (buy?) when we are supposed to be really skint and would supposidly only bring in better than what we have. His early performances however were bordering on rotten , United fans say he was the same last season , he has improved but IMO im still not seeing the brilliance others are talking about or even him being better than what we already had on the payroll.

First of all to compare obrien, a skillful young winger to mcgarry a borin average stmirren reject is laughable!secondly you can't say that obriens never gonna get capped considerin he's only 21 and HAS been capped for the under 19's and under 21's! Theres also no comparison to bob malcolm because he was a scumbag on and off the field,people were gettin on his back footballing wise,whereas the obrien and sheridan thing was pure bigotry as there were people on this forum even admittin it was the irish thing! Anyone who knows football knows that this isn't the best obriens gonna be considerin his first start for us was DECEMBER the 27th!how can players like this improve if people automatically have made up their mind before he's stepped on the pitch?

Where and when did "Motherwell" ever announce that?

'Flow

Fair enough i apologise , Motherwell said no such thing , the fee was officialy undisclosed by the club , it the was the media that reported it as £425k (suited Motherwell ?) Was also the ever reliable media that carried the stories that we paid for JOB and got him free so what to believe.

Will "Motherwell" disclose to the fans how much Derby paid ? :P

Will "Motherwell" disclose to the fans how much Derby paid ? :P

I am not sure mate (if the figure will ever be officially announced). However, it will have to be in the clubs' accounts next year so I suppose it will become more clear then if not before.

Don't believe everything you read in the papers with regards to fee's and the likes....

For the record and brining things back on-topic, I thought Sheridan done really well yesterday and, coupled with our change in tactics, made a big difference in the second half. He'll be a good addition to the squad and will, eventually, work well with Clarky.

'Flow

Anyone who knows football knows that this isn't the best obriens gonna be considerin his first start for us was DECEMBER the 27th!how can players like this improve if people automatically have made up their mind before he's stepped on the pitch?

My early opinion of JOB was based on how he played/underperformed at utd. But as a confirmed happy clappy I'll back anyone in a well shirt. Then on his first chance with us at tynecastle he was awful. Since then he has got his head down in the reserves and played his way into the team. Remember he was our big summer signing and we all expected a little more from him than to not start until december. Now he has made his way into a starting role with us and our season has started to turn ok again and hopefully he can maintain his recent form, altho he like most of the team/management had a bit of a shocker, especially first half yesterday.

As for sheridan, I dont like us signing OF players on loan in principle and playing them before our own players. I know its narrow minded and even a bit silly and could cost us league places cos the boy played well when he came on and did look the business. But where does his signing leave murph or sutton? When sheridan cant play against celtic who will we turn to? So basically we are strengthening one of the OF at the expense of the future of our own team. Altho if wgs decides that cillian aint in his future plans I hope we get a chance to sign him either in the summer or next january. If thatb is teh case then his loan could be a masterstroke

A lot of the problem is just fitba fans in general. It doesn't matter what team you support, there will always be (in comparison to a cross-section of general society) a disproportionate percentage of fans who go out their way to find things to complain about, be outraged about or generally just find offence where none exists. How many people do we all know who are happy to spend 90 minutes calling a player a f****n wank/orange bastard/donkey-eared retard then shout for the polis when the player 'gestures' in retaliation?

If you dislike someone because you don't agree with his choice of national team then maybe you should find a fucking hobby because it really is no-ones business but his.

Too many people unable to think for theirselves unfortunately and just following the herd who say 'you shouldn't like a player for this reason' and then going

'oh aye that's right enough' while smacking the back of their left wrist with their right hand and dribbling slever down their cheek.

Please note that Aiden McGeady is the exception to this. Not because of his choosing ROI over Scotland but simply because he is a whining wee shite with a face you'd never tire of kicking.

Rant over.

Have to say Sheridan had a quite good game yesterday. I was unhappy about an interview he gave in the press where he seemed to consider his loan deal as a bit of a joke with him having a laugh with Caddis of Utd about whose going to be 3rd and how much he cant wait to get back to the San Giro to play for Celtic. Having said that if he does the business for us then ok but i'll never think the sun shines out his backside and i'd be the same if he was on loan from Rangers. As for O'Brian i have to say he's improving and will be a usefull player for us. I personally dont care if someone's kid on Irish as my biggest hero at the Ark was Tommy Coyne.So get behind them both everybody in our next two MASSIVE games against Accies and St.Mirren which could make or break our season. :P .

Have to say Sheridan had a quite good game yesterday. I was unhappy about an interview he gave in the press where he seemed to consider his loan deal as a bit of a joke with him having a laugh with Caddis of Utd about whose going to be 3rd and how much he cant wait to get back to the San Giro to play for Celtic.

I didn't read it like that.

I read that he was happy to come and improve under McGhee (who has a record of improving attacking players).

& I'd rather he joked with Caddis about who finishes 3rd as opposed to who finishes 10th.

Yesterday, to me, he didn't look to me like a player that is here purely to fanny about for a couple of months.

But we read and interpret things differently I suppose DEWELL