Bring Back The SPL Reserve League

East_Stand_Al

I was reflecting on the news today that a couple of our young players are going out on loan clicky It struck me that if we had regular properly competitive football for guys who are too old for the U19s and not quite ready to make the step up to first team football it would ensure that when these guys are needed to play in first team games then they are ready.

As an example (put's tin hat on ) Ross Forbes has shown some really good flashes of ability in his time here but doesn't appear to be able to break into the regular first team, bounce games and closed door games such as Fleetwood recently are all well and good but they are no substitute for competitive matches every week.

I know it's down to money but what's the point of investing in "grass roots" football when these boys get to a certain level and there careers just stall.

What do you think ?

I was reflecting on the news today that a couple of our young players are going out on loan clicky It struck me that if we had regular properly competitive football for guys who are too old for the U19s and not quite ready to make the step up to first team football it would ensure that when these guys are needed to play in first team games then they are ready.

As an example (put's tin hat on ) Ross Forbes has shown some really good flashes of ability in his time here but doesn't appear to be able to break into the regular first team, bounce games and closed door games such as Fleetwood recently are all well and good but they are no substitute for competitive matches every week.

I know it's down to money but what's the point of investing in "grass roots" football when these boys get to a certain level and there careers just stall.

What do you think ?

A great idea. I remember going to those games. They were great

What do you think ?

I think you have hit the nail on the head twice in one post. Yes it should be here and sadly we can't afford it.

I think you have hit the nail on the head twice in one post. Yes it should be here and sadly we can't afford it.

Actually I think you've hit the nail on the head Tweed with your answer.

Finance is the killer. Much as I think many people are coming around to the idea that perhaps football wise the scrapping of the reserve leagues wasn't the best idea I think it's going to be something of a struggle to convince directors and administrators that the costs involved make it worthwhile.

From something as simple as being able to organise a bounce game off the cuff on your own terms such as on your own training ground, during the day, with the opponents of your choice as opposed to having to adhere to a fixture list, pay costs to use another team's ground etc. right through to the number of players you would have to carry in the squad or the potential impact on the set up of the youth sides, now that its gone I just can't see clubs re-instating the reserves.

Much as I am personally opposed to it, I could actually see the one or two clubs who have the resources pushing for B teams in the lower leagues before a full re-instatement of the reserves.

I got to quite a lot of reserve games in my youth and have some good memories. Like a 6-5 win over Rangers in the Reserve League Cup at Fir Park in 1991 for example or the Reserve League West campaign of a year or two later that saw us take six, seven, eight, nine and thirteen I think it was off the likes of East Stirling, Stenny and Stirling Albion. Good times!

One of my favourite games of all time was that 6-5 game, we were 3-0 down at half time and I'd missed the bookies to put a bet on the national, party politics was the horse i was gonna bet at 12-1 and the announcement came through that it had won so I was well cheesed off. Fortunately the final score cheered me up a lot! :cheers:I think the 13-0 game was against Dalbeattie Star, was there not an 11-0 win against them too?

would love to see the reserves brought back for most of the reasons stated previously. Although not a great deal of people turned up to watch it was always a chance to see what we had coming through the ranks. Perhaps a shorter version of the current first team fixtures (1 home and 1 away ) at the start and end of the season would work? We definately need somewhere for the guys who are too old for the 19s to show their talent in real games.

Remember going to one, think it was against Rangers, or a team in blue anyways, and saw Faddy score one of the best solo goals I've ever seen! Must have taken on a good 5 or 6 players before troking it in with his right peg! Amazing moment!

I would be glad to see the reserves league restarted, I used to love watching them play on a Tuesday afternoon at firpark

but i recall the old scum killed it off as they didn't like it which isn't surprising as their far happier buying in players than developing young talent

It was far from just the Old Firm's doing delboy. There were lots of clubs in favour of scrapping the reserves, largely down to the financial aspect of carrying a larger squad.

Look at some of the Motherwell team photos from the past for example when the reserves were an established feature. I know there were season's where we had 44 league game seasons but some of those team photies have enough players for about 3 teams in them.

It was a competitive league competition.

the games i went to were not overly competitive.

and i don't think you could describe something where everyone playing would rather not be playing as competitive. no one cared who won.

we send 11 guys who we want to give game time out against 11 guys in the same situation from another club. it doens't matter what you call, the players will get as much out of it as they put in, it's up to them and the coaching staff.

the games i went to were not overly competitive.

and i don't think you could describe something where everyone playing would rather not be playing as competitive. no one cared who won.

we send 11 guys who we want to give game time out against 11 guys in the same situation from another club. it doens't matter what you call, the players will get as much out of it as they put in, it's up to them and the coaching staff.

Could not disagree more. These guys were playing in front of management most of the time and many were looking to step up to the first team.

I don't see any reason why they can't continue the U19 league but allow a number of over 19 players to take part.

It used to be the case with U21 international football and of course there is the Olympics.

Perhaps 3 players in each squad could be over 19 and that would give over age players a chance to get games.

Reserve football allowed players who should not be at this level to continue to be signed up to this level.

If you want competative football for players between Under 19 and Seniors then the only way to do it is bring in B/II/Amateur teams under the seniors umbrella like most European Leagues.

Although No reserves at all doesn't seem to have done much damage to the Italian system...

Stewart M. Regan @StewartRegan21 Jan

@Malloyal we are looking at a new U20 league for next season incl overseas players.

In reply to Alisdair Malloy

One of the things discussed at a national strategy planning meeting , in regards to the B team issue

Stewart M. Regan @StewartRegan21 Jan

@IainMcGill @malloyal not everyone can afford B teams unfortunately.

At least the SFA seem to recognise there is a need at this level.