Gate Receipts Split

middleeastdave

I agree completely that the television money should be split more evenly, but it's all too easy to say that we want a share of the gate money when our average attendance sees us ranked seventh in a league of twelve.

Even if this was brought up for a vote under a new democratic system I doubt we'd see positive responses from the likes of Celtic, Aberdeen, Hearts, Hibs or Dundee United.

I reckon FC Dundee can stay around for a while they'd fancy their chances of drawing a big enough support to make them think twice about gate sharing too.

does anyone know which year split gates were abolished?

Think it was when the SFL Premier division was formed 75/76.

Was it not still split gates early 90s...

It definetly didn't last that long.

Only thing I can find which backs up my memory is the first article here.

The abolition of the maximum wage enabled the Old Firm to take advantage of their financial clout and offer bigger pay packets than their provincial competitors. Following the formation of the Scottish Premier Division in 1975, home sides retained all league gate monies instead of having to share them with visiting clubs, as was previously the case. Again, the Old Firm, by virtue of their bigger grounds and supports, were the prime beneficiaries, and the gap between the wages they could offer and what other sides could pay became a chasm. The Bosman ruling in 1995 then gave players the right to leave almost at will for bigger teams and for even bigger money. In Scotland, this inevitably meant to either Rangers or Celtic.

Somewhere in between I think Roly. Memory may be going but I thought it may have been around the time of the formation of the SPL, though nothing to confirm.

The SPL was formed in '98. I'm still certain it didn't reach the ninties.

Was there a time when teams kept gate reciepts from their travelling support? Or am I imagining that?