St.mirren V Motherwell 14/9/13

Yabba's Turd

Personally dont see a problem with smoke bombs but rules are rules and yes one was thrown on the pitch. There were a couple of occasions where the police were heavy handed but there were a few lads doing their damn best to

wind up the police and as we all seen they got a reacreaction. On the other hand, a guy that had been on my train and was quite clearly blitzed was wrestled out by the police, I have no idea what he said to them but the force used by the police was uncalled for.

Ye could see the point of the police tactics if it was a group of 40-50 lads 20+ years old who are wearing the casual clobber acting aggressively but it was young lads with banners and a drum ! Sorry but its the police and stewards who are the w*nks here not the well bois. Keep it up lads best support in the league if not the country !!

Ye could see the point of the police tactics if it was a group of 40-50 lads 20+ years old who are wearing the casual clobber

Quite a lot of them wear casual clobber and don't seem to have any Motherwell colours. Might be unfair profiling, but if you're a big group dressed like that, the police are going to take notice of you.

Just leave the smoke bombs at home and don't give the authorities an excuse.

Quite a lot of them wear casual clobber and don't seem to have any Motherwell colours. Might be unfair profiling, but if you're a big group dressed like that, the police are going to take notice of you.

Just leave the smoke bombs at home and don't give the authorities an excuse.

This line doesn't work for me. I was at the game yesterday and didn't even know there were smokebombs there never mind take one in with me and I ended up coming home with a £40 fine for "Breaching the peace". My ejection from the ground was for asking an officer if she wasn't embarrassed at how heavy handed they had been with a group of 15/16 year old boys.

Imagine walking down the stairs of a stand, steep ones like at the old love street and some idiot lets off a smoke bomb completely obstructing any vision you had... This would be an example of why smoke bombs are as frowned upon.

As for mob handed coppers? These arseholes have been called in to deal with a public order situation and had no clue to what they were walking into. In their eyes the heavy handed approach is justified as they at that point don't know what they were dealing with.

• Like 1

IMO the positives the Bois bring to games far outway any negatives and if a few smoke bombs is all we have to worry about then I for one am prepared to put up with them.

The very nature of these groups mean they sail close to the wind and will inevitably cross the line at times. They are young guys full of the drink and expecting impeccable behaviour at every game is just being unrealistic.

I have read many fans say we have the best away support in the league with regards to atmosphere and they are a form of entertainment in their own right. The time, money and effort these guys put in to what they do is nothing short of fantastic. You really do notice when they are not there.

In saying all that I don't think smoke bombs add anything to the atmosphere. It seems to me using them is just sticking two fingers up to the authorities. A you can't tell us what to do gesture if you like.

Oh, Big... John.... Sutton... Motherwell's no. 9!

Agree with just about every word of this.

Unfortunately for the Bois, if you stick two fingers up to the authorities you have to expect you are gonna cop some flak so the response from the stewards and police should have been no surprise.

From where I was sat yesterday most of the behaviour from the Bois could be described as good natured high jinx, however the smoke bombs ARE banned items and once the polis had decided that enough was enough, there were one or two enjoying getting in the faces of the stewards and the polis a little too much.

Its a fine line between pushing boundaries to effect change and making yourself a target for the authorities. Some calm reflection required to ensure the Bois remain a positve force for change.

Imagine walking down the stairs of a stand, steep ones like at the old love street and some idiot lets off a smoke bomb completely obstructing any vision you had... This would be an example of why smoke bombs are as frowned upon.

As for mob handed coppers? These arseholes have been called in to deal with a public order situation and had no clue to what they were walking into. In their eyes the heavy handed approach is justified as they at that point don't know what they were dealing with.

Smoke bombs don't obstruct all your vision, and I've also never seen them set off in a stairwell.

Probably better to just set the whole place on fire, eh?

Presumably from that comment you were not at the game and did not see the gradual build up of police personnel or that they could see exactly what they were getting in to.

There was clearly no public order situation it was fans inside a football stadium doing exactly what they have been doing for some time, being animated and vocal singing and supporting their team.

This was either a pre planned strategy or a gross over reaction and lack of judgement from the Match Commander.

What there saying over on FPC

re: Heavy Hands Empty Stands ?... Yip our fans have been fantastic last few seasons but today some were an absolute embarrassment to MFC! Hang your head in shame! You throw smoke bombs and then plead with the police to not go in heavy handed – REALLY?? Get away from MFC if that is your target! NOT WANTED GTF!!!

• Like 1

If watching the sportscene highlights is anything to go by i really don't know how some saints fans are saying they deserved at least a draw, think the smack was flowing freely in Paisley last night !

That's because there were no cops around to stop the dealers, they were all inside St Mirren Park dealing with the "Raucous" Motherwell Support

evilgrin.gif

What there saying over on FPC

re: Heavy Hands Empty Stands ?... Yip our fans have been fantastic last few seasons but today some were an absolute embarrassment to MFC! Hang your head in shame! You throw smoke bombs and then plead with the police to not go in heavy handed – REALLY?? Get away from MFC if that is your target! NOT WANTED GTF!!!

I wouldn't worry too much what tadgers like that say

• Like 1

It does seem to be the tactic of the authorities- divide and conquer, the same thing happened at Parkhead with the GB. Fans need solidarity.

Fans do need solidarity but I don't think standing beside GB will help. They have caused lots of damage to stadiums up and down the SPL including our own

Were any smoke bombs actually thrown? A few were set off in the crowd and some streamers / till rolls were thrown on the park but I didn't see any smoke bombs get thrown.

Whether it was thrown or not is irrelevant. As already stated the offence was committed as soon as they entered the ground with it no matter if their intention was to throw it, set it off or keep it in their pocket to keep their baws warm. Plenty people have complained that the police don't take action against OF supporters for sectarian chants but are quite happy to have the police turn a blind eye to Motherwell fans offences.Yes they should take action against OF supporters but two wrongs don't make a right. The simple fact is the law was broken and the police acted as they are supposed to. Where they heavy handed? I don't know i wasn't there but no smoke bomb means no police action simple as that. You can't knowingly break the law then complain about the actions of police. Go to the game have fun, support the team and entertain the rest of the supporters with your fantastic routines but no need to attract the attention of the police by bringing banned items to the games.

• Like 3

Whether it was thrown or not is irrelevant. As already stated the offence was committed as soon as they entered the ground with it no matter if their intention was to throw it, set it off or keep it in their pocket to keep their baws warm. Plenty people have complained that the police don't take action against OF supporters for sectarian chants but are quite happy to have the police turn a blind eye to Motherwell fans offences.Yes they should take action against OF supporters but two wrongs don't make a right. The simple fact is the law was broken and the police acted as they are supposed to. Where they heavy handed? I don't know i wasn't there but no smoke bomb means no police action simple as that. You can't knowingly break the law then complain about the actions of police. Go to the game have fun, support the team and entertain the rest of the supporters with your fantastic routines but no need to attract the attention of the police by bringing banned items to the games.

The police acted as they were supposed to?

In what way was that?

That must have been the bit where they kept a calm head, examined the cctv, pointed out who the perpetrators were then arrested them at the scene or with a chap at the door later on.

In fact no, the way you deal with a crime is get every on duty officer in surround the area where the person might have been then take everybody in there,tell them that they can't leave the area, take all their details, threaten to arrest,actually arrest or then fine those who have a problem with that.

It's the equivalent of catching a shoplifter up asda then surrounding the place whilst the police make sure nobody else is stealing.

I can safely say I never broke the law on Saturday but was subjected to this kind of treatment.

Also, nobody is asking anybody to stand beside the Green Brigade or what ever, sure there set list might not be to most peoples taste but the point was more that Motherwell fans should stick together though, back the bois.

Why give the Police any reason at all to be "heavy handed"? If there are no smoke bombs there is no issue. Don't take them to the game it's not clever and it's not fair on the surrounding supporters who are innocent bystanders and are herded by the Police as they were in the same area.

The Bois are a credit and well liked by other supporters due to the atmosphere they create. Don't let them become an embarrassment.

• Like 2

Why give the Police any reason at all to be "heavy handed"? If there are no smoke bombs there is no issue. Don't take them to the game it's not clever and it's not fair on the surrounding supporters who are innocent bystanders and are herded by the Police as they were in the same area.

The Bois are a credit and well liked by other supporters due to the atmosphere they create. Don't let them become an embarrassment.

agree with that and we run the risk of undoing all the good work and special relationship we have with MFC and spoiling it all. thats not what I want. until smoke pellets become legal its time to leave them at home me thinks

Only embarrassment I see in all this is Police Scotland 'sledgehammer to crack a nut' tactics and the number of our own fans ready to turn on the Bois at the first opportunity. That's embarrassing.

Sure the lads will remember the backing they were given in all this, thankfully only a small minority are negative as most fans are generally appreciative of the massive improvements made to the enjoyment of following Motherwell. It cannot be overstated what a difference they've made and small matters like smoke bombs don't take away from that, no matter how much the authorities try to dress it up as 'major' it really is fuck all in the bigger scheme of things. And certainly doesn't warrant treatment like that shown on Saturday, that is nothing more than an abuse of power.

• Like 3