Well Top Of The League

gullane

Other than the football authorities and the bans the bookings cost our team what does it really matter if we are top of the disciplinary table.

In the days of Joe Wark, McVie, McLaren, Miller, McAdam, Stevens and their like, bookings were more often than not justified but now far too many bookings are unwarranted.

Bookings don't necessarily mean a team is dirty, too many referees are quick to produce cards for challenges that in years gone wouldn't have seen a free-kick awarded. Maybe that's the refs fault or those officials sitting in judgement in the stands or at Hampden. The game has gone 'soft' like so many players in the game today.

Sorry for sounding like an old timer, but I am.

Hope that chancer Brines isn't in charge today v County.

Must be the first time since Butcher wis gaffer ?

I don't think we are a dirty team, I don't think there are really any dirty teams in the league like the teams of Airdrie or Hearts of old.

However we do have a few players who are likely to pick up bookings over the season, Ramsden, Hutchy, Lasley etc.

If players are getting three match suspensions for 18 yellows in a season perhaps some action is required but picking up bookings is inevitable, especially in certain positions.

Would you make Lasley a less combatative player to avoid a 1 match suspension over a season - don't think so.

The reason we won the fair play league under McGhee was he instilled proper discipline into the team. Not that we didn't get players booked for tackling and fouls etc but we never ever got a player booked for dissent, celebrating a goal etc. Amazing how things change if you cut out the nonsense bookings. I don't think there are any really dirty teams out there. Got to remember as well we only played eight games and we got five yellows against Aberdeen because we were frankly knackered and tackling late because the minds were too sleepy to do anything else.