You'll Never Walk Alone

Last post by:

Okay, so Liverpool started singing it from the 50's or 60's if Internet forums are to be believed.

Been watching highlights from our Division 1 league win in 1980/81. Noticed a rather vocal Motherwell crowd belting ynwa at full time as part of the celebrations.

So how did this come about? found it curious that Celtic fans seem to have started singing it around the same time when you read up on it. Did they hear a small group of Well fans and nick it for themselves? Or was it more a copycat thing by our lot at the time.

So any of the auld yins on here know how long we were singing it before then or able to give any more details?

Adopted by Liverpool in early sixties after Gerry & the Pacemakers (from Liverpool) released it as a single.

Stolen and sung by nearly every club at some point thereafter (I'm almost certain even Rangers sung it). Definitely NOT a Celtic song originally - eventually most clubs moved on to other songs/chants, Celtic continued to sing it and 'adopted' it as their own.

Another copycat - 'the Poznan' (though that might be the Huddle "something else" refers to).

Also Everton's "it's a grand old team to play for"

Don't think so cambo - that, I'm certain has always been one of the few original Celtic songs - recorded by Glen Daly at the Ashfield Club circa 1961'ish.

Some digging around Everton sites suggests only being sung since the middle to late eighties.

Don't think so cambo - that, I'm certain has always been one of the few original Celtic songs - recorded by Glen Daly at the Ashfield Club circa 1961'ish.

Some digging around Everton sites suggests only being sung since the middle to late eighties.

Reading some of the forums etc Everton say they sang it in the 60s and probably before but it went out of favour and was revived in the 80s.

I also found a reference from a Glentoran fan saying they've sang for at least 50 years and it was an adaption from the Pirates of Penzance.

It's probably another one of these that's been stolen so many times nobody really knows who sang it first.

Reading some of the forums etc Everton say they sang it in the 60s and probably before but it went out of favour and was revived in the 80s.

I also found a reference from a Glentoran fan saying they've sang for at least 50 years and it was an adaption from the Pirates of Penzance.

It's probably another one of these that's been stolen so many times nobody really knows who sang it first.

I believe it was originally a German song called 'Fritz, a grand old team to play for'

• Like 2