Sammy Reid

El Grew

Sad news today to hear that a member of the famous Ancell Babes side of the late 1950s Sammy Reid has passed away at his home in Wishaw aged 75. A tterrific player for us who went south to sign for Bill Shankly's Liverpool In 1960. It never quite worked out for him as it did for his team mate Ian St. John. Came back to Scotland and played for Berwick Rangers and in 1967 scored the goal to knock Rangers out the Scottish Cup. Arguably still the biggest Cup shock in Scottish football. .Thoughts are with Sammy's family at this sad time. RIP Sammy.

I remember watching Sammy and Billy in the late 50s. Bobby Ancel created one of the best football teams in our history, half of whom were internationals. They were a pure football team, and some of the best games were against Hearts. But they also had a great record in friendly games against some of the world's best. I remember Ian St John scoring six in a 9-3 win against a great Brazilian team. The commentator said it was the best thing since sliced bread. Weir , McSeveny, Holton, Aitken, Martis, McCann, Reid, Hunter, St John, Quinn, Weir.cheers.gifcheers.gif

I remember watching Sammy and Billy in the late 50s. Bobby Ancel created one of the best football teams in ourr history, half of whom were internationals. They were a pure football team, and some of the best games were against Hearts. But they also had a great record in friendly games against some of the world's best. I remember Ian St John scoring six in a 9-3 win against a great Brazilian team. The commentator said it was the best thing since sliced bread. Weir , McSeveny, Holton, Aitken, Martis, McCann, Reid, Hunter, St John, Quinn, Weir.cheers.gifcheers.gif

Was it not Flamenco?