Reality Check

Jacol

I'm usually an optimist, glass half full sort of person. I have expected for the last few seasons a dip in form but always envisioned the team being at worst top of the bottom 6. I can remember comfortablly back to the mid 70's in Motherwell sides, I've had my fair share of highs as well as lows in supporting Motherwell. The McCall years on a whole encapsulated that, the unparalleled achievement of constantly finishing "best of the rest" with the utter dismay of our cup form Since the start of this season I have felt that we were a result away from turning our season around, I was at Perth for ultimately McCall's last game and we dominated 1st half and conceded goal against run of play before calamitous individual errors in defence brought about defeat and McCall's resignation. I doubted that Black was the right appointment but his 1st game against Dundee United we showed a fight and passion which has been missing all season. Barraclough was the correct appointment his scouting knowledge of England and Ireland and his success in Ireland at least on paper look a logical appointment.

I constantly felt results would improve after we get some injured players back then I too bought into the optimism of transfer deadline day feeling now we can push up the table. Yesterday however was a sickner ok Ross County scored a couple of great goals that would have undone most teams but yet again we allowed them time and space to play the ball into our defence creating the opportunities for them, yet when we go forward our midfield never seem to have the time to dominate the game or provide the ammunition for Sutton to feed off of.

The reality is I can't now see us turning the season around every week on this forum we have all been "next week is crucial must win" yet we have lost (usually really badly) the feeling has been we are too strong to go down especially when we have a fit squad but no we just seem to be getting worse. St Mirren every season are in a relegation dogfight yet survive, Ross County too seem to have more of an appetite and experience of battling the drop than we have. Motherwell seem to be hurtling out of the league in a very similar style to Hibs last season.

I live in Fife now and yesterday I went to watch Raith v Falkirk game as I couldn't afford the trip to Dingwall. While watching that game but focusing on the score in Dingwall I couldn't help compare Falkirk and Raith with us. As football clubs they are of similar size without the limited success of Motherwell, both have a catchment area similar to Motherwell and they aren't impeded just as much as having the Old Firm on their doorstep, yet both these clubs are now destined to mid table championship clubs. If Motherwell continue to plummet towards the foot of the table and get relegated then we could be down there for the foreseeable future The truth is we have no right to expect Motherwell to be a top 6 SPL side we have to fully support all players, staff, and board members until the end of the season and trust that united as fans and club we can get out of this mess so we don't end up amongst the Falkirk's and Raith Rovers.

• Like 2

Struggled to worj mworky though that (never heard of a paragraph?) and wondering why you felt the need to start a new thread when this fits in perfectly with all the other naysayer chat on the match thread??

HOTD for this pontless thread!!

he was only making a valid point...what a fuckin cock you are.

• Like 3

The only saving grace is a game in hand over St Midden, although no Guarantees we'll win it.

Next week should be interesting Louis Laing back from suspension hopefully Pearo back from injury.

The gaffer is going to have to show balls and drop Lasley and McManus among others.

Threads like this appear when desperation sets in, so expect more to come over the next few weeks!

The OP makes some valid points. Arguably as a club we are no bigger than the likes of Falkirk, Raith Rovers, Dunfermline even QOS based on catchment area etc.

If we are not careful and we go down, we could be down for a few seasons but then so could Ross County and / or St Mirren.

I like most am just amazed that we could go from 2nd top to 2nd bottom in a season. We have had no luck with injuries, which is the polar opposite to when we finished top 2 or 3 last few seasons.

Also hoped that with Barra we would be harder to beat when the evidence is otherwise. I just cling to the hope that something will click and the combination of a couple of players back from injury, another week for the new boys to find their feet and finally dropping some more established players not performing and finally opting not to play Ainsworth when Dom T has shown just what he is capable of. The latter is what concerns me the most. How on earth can Ainsworth get game time when Dom came on v St J and helped us get a point blink.gif

• Like 1

he was only making a valid point...what a fuckin cock you are.

As was I...that was there really a need for ANOTHER thread discussing how pish we are and how doomed we are when his post (properly punctuated) would have been "valid" in one of the many other threads?!

So dry yer eyes and take yer pishy little tantrums and insults elsewhere!!