Goalkeepers

punk_in_drublic

Tonight was one of those matches where we lost a couple of bad goals.

What's been obvious since the start of last season has been the goalkeeping situation. We've sort of cycled through keepers in that time.

Lee Hollis - not sure where he is now, given he was playing for ther 2nd best team in the country 12 months ago, is a massive halt in his career. I can't think of a 28 year old keeper who has had such a stint to their career.

Gunnar Nielsen - when we first signed him I thought it was a great bit of business. Physical attributes, big club past, international, a lot of things you'd look for on paper. Bit it didn't materialise.

Dan Twardzik - he's had his detractors, currently I'm 50/50 on his ability. He's ok but not spectacular. Not quite an SPFL first teamer, more of a back up.

George Long - not seen the guy play top much and as such I leave it for others to provide views.

We've had some solid keepers for a while and the contrast is pretty stark.

Part of me still thinks we should have went for Jamie MacDonal back in the summer, but it wasn't to be.

What is apparent is that having even an average SPFL first team keeper can grab you around an extra handful of points (6 - 9?).

For me, the whole issue seems to have coincided with Marshall having overall say on the goalkeepers. I hope Baraclough fixes that arrangement. I'd be interested to hear if it's just me who thinks this...

We've had some solid keepers for a while and the contrast is pretty stark.

That there, is the most pertinent point.

We were spoiled with Ruddy and Randy and with expectations so high, whoever came in was going to struggle in comparison to those two who were quite rightly fan favourites.

We were linked with Craig Samson when Randy left and I think if we had managed to get him he would still be our no 1 now. He's nothing spectacular but more than dependable, which is more than you can say about anyone who's played in goals for us since.

If we had dominant centre halfs, keepers like Hollis and Dan may have stood a chance but their lack of dominance in the box meant they were always going to get the blame for our defensive woes before the likes of McManus et al.

I think Long is a decent keeper, but his spectacular save to howler ratio is every bit as bad as Dan's which is worrying.

The Craig Samson signing has also jumped into my mind. It seemed like he was out first choice back yonder when we tried to sign him and then he changed his mind for Killie.

Only a rumour at time but I was told he decided to go to Killie as he was told he wasn't going to be a definite first choice and that Hollis would be given the chance also.

We were not meant to be looking at that Marian Kello of St Mirren at one point as well? He seems to be on the bench regularly these days for them.

Thomas Cerny sitting on the bench at Hibs as well, but Oxley is only on loan so he might be 1st choice next season.

We've got our own 'TREBLE' 3 PISH GOALIES!!! It's absolutely and totally the fault of Gordon Marshall who was a pish keeper himself. I'll never forget his abysmal performance in the 2005 League Cup Final, i know for a fact he was voted Celtic's WORST EVER KEEPER. We've gave him a free role to recruit our keepers according to Stuart McCall before he left. :wallbash: . We've got shot of Nielson 2 more to go... <_>

We've got our own 'TREBLE' 3 PISH GOALIES!!! It's absolutely and totally the fault of Gordon Marshall who was a pish keeper himself. I'll never forget his abysmal performance in the 2005 League Cup Final, i know for a fact he was voted Celtic's WORST EVER KEEPER. We've gave him a free role to recruit our keepers according to Stuart McCall before he left. :wallbash: . We've got shot of Nielson 2 more to go... <_>

YOU bore MY tits CLEAN off.

• Like 3

Does anyone really believe all this stuff about Marshall recruiting the goalkeepers. Goalkeeper is arguably the most important position on the field. No manager worth his salt is going to put out a team where the most important player on the pitch wasn't ultimately his choice.

we should never have been in a situation where we signed dundee's third choice keeper as our first choice, that should have had alarm bells ringing, especially as mcdonald was released by hearts!!!!!!!.

IB has been forced to sign another goalie and long was the best he could find in the january window and he looks on paper to have pedigree.

he imo is better than dan so must continue in goal.

• Like 3