Motherwell Quartet In Scotland B Squad

Frazzie

Cannot believe that Smith is not included!!!!

He's had a bit of a yo-yo Scotland career with him being included in the Scotland squad that went to Japan in 2006 then disappearing off the radar. Getting a call up and being named man of the match in the B International in Airdrie against the Republic, and promptly disappearing off the radar again.

Personally, with the two keepers selected both plying their trade in England, I don't know enough about their current form to compare them to Buzz and say whether he should be in or not.

What I do remember is Marshall being impressive when he broke through with Celtic and it seemed for a time that it might be a straight fight between him and Gordon to be Scotland no.1. But that's a good few years ago now. I suppose he's due his turn given he's in that 3rd choice keeper role which means he could be in 50 squads but hardly have a hope of ever playing.

Turner, I believe is viewed as having a good career ahead of him, but beyond a couple of outings for Everton I really couldn't say whether he's ahead of, behind or about the same in comparison with Smith.

Had a wee look at the story on the official site, which says Hammell was capped by Berti Vogts.

If memory serves correctly, wasn't it Tommy Burns who handed Hammell his single cap? Pretty sure it was a friendly against Sweden after Vogts had left, and Burns was caretaker.

Not moaning at the official site or anything, just wondering if anyone remembers!

Had a wee look at the story on the official site, which says Hammell was capped by Berti Vogts.

If memory serves correctly, wasn't it Tommy Burns who handed Hammell his single cap? Pretty sure it was a friendly against Sweden after Vogts had left, and Burns was caretaker.

Not moaning at the official site or anything, just wondering if anyone remembers!

aye it definetly was burns that gave hammell his only cap, in a friendly against sweden back in 2004 :lol:

Christ, was it that long ago?! I mind it now though, we got humped 4-1 (at Easter Road I believe). :lol:

Was talking about thr Sweden and Trinidad games when driving by Easter Road today. Can't believe it was that long ago. I mind Brian Kerr coming on in the Trinidad game. That was a fine day with Fletch and Quashie running the show.

Given the quality of Scottish football these days its good to see four Motherwell players in ANY Scotland squad. Well done to all four of our guys. They are probably our four best, most consistent, and most reliable players. Also our most saleable assets.