Fitzpatrick Excited By Euro Qualification

numpty

http://sport.scotsman.com/spl/Fitzpatrick-...l39s.5304582.jp

Fitzpatrick excited by Motherwell's European qualification

Published Date: 27 May 2009

By Ronnie Esplin

MOTHERWELL midfielder Marc Fitzpatrick is already excited at the prospect of a return to Europe following their qualification for the Europa League.

The Fir Park club have been awarded a place in the competition by the Scottish Football Association through the Fair Play system.

Celtic topped the Fair Play table but with the Parkhead club already assured of a Champions League place for finishing second in the Clydesdale Bank Premier League, the place went to second-placed Fir Parkers.

Motherwell will enter the tournament in the first qualifying round which is scheduled to take place on 2 and 9 July, and although that means an early start to the campaign, with the first game in just five weeks, Fitzpatrick is itching to get his boots back on.

"It's great news for everyone involved with the club," he said. "The thought of European football again next season is very exciting and we're already looking forward to coming back.

"Yes, our holidays have been cut short now but we're not complaining. We have a few weeks off to relax and get away so it's not all that bad."

It will be the second year in succession Motherwell have played in European competition, having qualified for the Uefa Cup last season after finishing third.

The Steelmen lost 3-0 on aggregate to AS Nancy in the first round but Fitzpatrick hopes for an extended run in the inaugural competition this year.

"We had a terrific experience against Nancy last year and going to France was a great adventure," he said. "It was amazing to see so many fans make the journey with us and I'm sure they are looking forward to next season as much as we are now.

"If we can get through a couple of qualifying rounds we'll be amongst the big teams and that would be interesting. Fir Park was bouncing in the return leg last year and I've never seen it as busy as it was back then.

"We've been given an opportunity by the Fair Play League and I'm sure the rest of the lads, like me, will want to make the most of it.

"Our first game may be a trip into the unknown and who knows where it will take us but that's all part of the adventure."

Scotland will have six teams playing in Europe next season. Falkirk have already qualified for the Europa League after reaching the Homecoming Scottish Cup Final where they will play SPL champions Rangers.

Hearts and Aberdeen captured two other places through finishing third and fourth respectively in the SPL.

Celtic and Rangers will take part in the Champions League, with the Ibrox men going straight into the group stages.

Guest 'Flow

It is yea...

Clydesdale Bank sent us the Euro board prop (for pictures with Fizzy) so to get them (and us too of course) some more exposure, we sent out the story to the press via email and it has been picked up by the Press Association. They've put it out and it has been picked up by one or two of the papers.

'Flow

Will he feature in europe ????

I'm not wanting to start another fitzi debate here, i do like his effort, if more players in the team tried like him we might have not needed the fairplay wild card.

But I get the feeling if mcghee goes, Fitzi will have no chance.

I'm not wanting to start another fitzi debate here, i do like his effort, if more players in the team tried like him we might have not needed the fairplay wild card.

While not really wanting to get into another Fizzy debate either, he's been given contracts by 3 different managers in his time at Fir Park, which mabye suggests he must have something which the managers find to their liking otherwise he would likely have been bumped by now.

I don't know that any incoming manager wouldn't at least see what he had to offer them.

But the previous managers also rated him so who's to say the next one won't?

Just my opinion.

Might be the wrong one, but I just can't see what everyone else does.

best advice I can give is to open your eyes :) - best advice about not starting a debate is not to start a debate.

C'mon the Fitzy!

Plays better away from home these days - finds it easier when he doesn't have 500 well fans on his back for a humph!

Brilliant engine and will run any sub standard midfield into the ground.

best advice I can give is to open your eyes :) - best advice about not starting a debate is not to start a debate.

C'mon the Fitzy!

Plays better away from home these days - finds it easier when he doesn't have 500 well fans on his back for a humph!

Right'o :)

C'mon the Fitzy!

Agree 100% with that post Mr Diggle. I think Fitzy does a very decent job for the team and a lot of folk give him a hard time. He is a confidence player and I think we will see a big improvemnet in his perfomances next year.

All we have to do is look at Clarkson as an example, he fell away and was performing poorly for a few years and took a fair bit of abuse, look at him now. Really hope Fitzy can do the same and turnaround our boo boys.