Who Will Follow Mcghee To Aberdeen ?

EastStandWellFan

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nah, 'Flow's a Well man through-and-through. He'd never sell himself out at the detriment of our club!

He tells me that Aberdeen have offered to triple his salary, will give him a company car and will even throw in Jimmy Calderwood's old sunbed ( one careful owner ) and that, whilst he's enjoyed his time at Fir Park enormously, it's now time for his career to take a step up ( copyright M McGhee ). Don't shoot the messanger :lol:

Guest 'Flow
I wonder if they'll put a bid in for Flow? He's the SPL's best Media Man (as voted for by the hacks) and is a general web wizard. Will Flow follow in McGhee and Leitchy's footsteps?

Will the lure of a top end Vauxhall Corsa and free mutton pies for life sway the boy away from the Chapman Building????

He tells me that Aberdeen have offered to triple his salary, will give him a company car and will even throw in Jimmy Calderwood's old sunbed ( one careful owner ) and that, whilst he's enjoyed his time at Fir Park enormously, it's now time for his career to take a step up ( copyright M McGhee ). Don't shoot the messanger :D

Whilst mutton pies ( :D ), a Corsa ( :huh: ) and Jimmy Calderwood's old sunbed ( :lol::( ) may seem tempting, I'll very much pass! :P Malcolm, the guy that does my job at the Dons, is a really good guy and very good at his job too....

Nah, 'Flow's a Well man through-and-through. He'd never sell himself out at the detriment of our club!

Yea, that's the one mate! I don't begrudge anyone a chance to improve themselves if that is what they choose but I'll be at 'Well for as long as they'll have me! For me, I feel privileged every morning when I wake up and as I am working for the club I love, I've already reached my pinnacle...

'Mon the Steelmen

'Flow

Just read THIS interview with McGhee.........

However the new Aberdeen boss said he has no intentions of attempting to lure any more of his former playing staff from Fir Park to the Granite City.

He said: "I'm not going to go back there and start pillaging Motherwell. I have too much respect for what they are trying to do. Stephen Hughes is a different kettle of fish as he is out of contract and available.

"There are some great players at Motherwell who are going to go on and become even better. But at this moment in time they would be out of our price range."

McGhee admits he is not going to be given a huge amount of money to splash during the summer but is hopeful of bringing new faces to Pittodrie.

But McGhee said: "Stephen knows I would like to bring him to Aberdeen. Scott Leitch (McGhee's assistant) is meeting with Stephen in Glasgow this weekend where we will talk to him about it further. Apparently he has been offered a very attractive contract from Hearts so there is competition for people like Stephen Hughes."

McGhee admits the Dons may struggle financially to offer Hughes as much as the other clubs who are chasing the signature of the former Rangers player.

"I hope the fact I am here is a factor for Stephen," McGhee said. "But young players like Stephen Hughes, who have a young family, are entitled to try to provide for their family and therefore try to get the best deal possible.

"Working with me again won't be at the top of his list of reasons for choosing a club but if there comes a point where we are neck and neck with someone else then hopefully because it is me that will sway it."

i know it's keevins but at least it has "quotes"

Mark McGhee: I'd have been a rat if I left Motherwell for Hearts.. but Dons job is different

Jun 13 2009 By Hugh Keevins

MARK McGHEE last night denied he could be cast in the role of the rat who deserted a sinking ship at Motherwell.

The new Aberdeen boss pitched up at Pittodrie after leaving his old club in Europe and £200,000 better off after the completion of talks over compensation.

But Fir Park supporters refused to bid him and his assistant Scott Leitch a generous farewell and highlighted a depleted squad which has left McGhee's successor with a major reconstruction job to do.

But the man who two years ago took a club who had only narrowly avoided relegation into the UEFA Cup in the space of 12 months wasn't having his name tarnished.

McGhee said: "If I'd left Motherwell for Hearts when the opportunity was there for me to do so a year ago I might called a rat deserting a sinking ship. But not now.

"I know I put in a good shift at Motherwell and I'm the first to acknowledge that I got fantastic support from the chairman, John Boyle. I would hope the fans could respect that.

"The truth of the matter was that I couldn't expect to continue the progress I'd made at the club because of mitigating circumstances.

"Players like Stephen Hughes, Maros Klimpl and Graeme Smith have now gone from Motherwell under freedom of contract. My feeling is the club will also come under financial pressure to offload another couple of players on top of that before the new season begins.

"I've gone to Aberdeen because when I started out in management I had an ambition to take charge of some of the teams I'd played for.

"That was one of the main reasons why I stayed at Fir Park and rejected the chance to go to Hearts when it was there on a plate for me this time last year.

"Hearts were a cold option for me because I had no previous link with the club or any particular depth of affection for them. It's obviously different with Aberdeen."

McGhee arrived at Pittodrie after a protracted discussion over compensation while being hailed as the Dons fans' unanimous choice to succeed Jimmy Calderwood.

But he denies that having been a part of the club's greatest days, culminating in the European Cup Winners' Cup Final triumph in 1983, could be a burden to him.

McGhee said: "What happened in Gothenburg is now an irrelevance.

"What percentage of the fans who will turn up to see our first game of next season at Pittodrie will be old enough to clearly remember something that happened 26years ago? It might as well be a lifetime away.

"The only dream I have to hold on to is the one where we build on what Jimmy, Sandy Clark and Jimmy Nicholl have left us here.

"I think we have the senior professionals and the youth set-up to be the third best team in Scotland.

"Aberdeen have finished in fourth position in the SPL table at the end of the last two seasons and that's a great base to work from for me.

"I understood the process that delayed my arrival and I'm just thrilled to be Aberdeen manager. It's a fresh challenge and one that I'm taking on with both eyes open."

McGhee was alluding to the financial uncertainty that currently grips the SPL in the wake of Setanta's inability to honour their contract for television coverage of the SPL.

Harking back to the glory days of Gothenburg is one luxury the new manager won't permit himself on a regular basis.

But he allowed himself to dip into Aberdeen's illustrious history to take a crumb of comfort where matters of high finance were concerned.

McGhee said: "You have to understand there wasn't an abundance of resources available to this club when Alex Ferguson was the manager and we were carrying all before us on a domestic level.

"We simply had a man at the helm who was more than able to make the best of what he had at his disposal.

"I understand the concerns that have been created by Setanta's position but I also know I'm joining a stable club and that was part of the reason why I agreed to leave Motherwell.

"I can honestly say I feel hugely motivated by the position I've been given."

Leitch sat beside McGhee at yesterday's press conference to unveil the pair having turned down the offer to manage the club he had played for and followed since boyhood in Motherwell.

It's the first time McGhee has taken staff with him from a previous club when moving on to a new job.

He said: "I didn't know Scott at all before I came up from England to take over at Fir Park. But I quickly discovered he had a lot in his locker that was useful to me.

"Scott could have been the new Motherwell manager but he wanted to join me on our new adventure at Aberdeen.

"He's hard working and ambitious and it's testimony to the working relationship we've formed in a short space of time that we've carried our partnership on to Pittodrie."

Reviled by some at the club he left behind, revered by the supporters of the team he's rejoined, McGhee will go forward rather than look back for any reason.

And without feeling as if he's left anybody in the lurch to get what he wanted.

Although it is the Daily Record, Easy Target has quoted from a couple of things worry me about it.

"If I'd left Motherwell for Hearts when the opportunity was there for me to do so a year ago I might called a rat deserting a sinking ship. But not now"

"(Motherwell would be) under financial pressure to offload another couple of players on top of that before the new season begins".

:O

The first one is a truly DISGRACEFUL comment to make imo. The second could be garbage and a forewarning of a move for Clarky, but if it isn't.......we are in serious trouble as it DOESN'T include Malcolm, Hughes, Klimpl or Hughes.

I heard McGhee on the radio yesterday talking about going for 3rd place in the league with

Aberdeen, he mentioned there would be strong competition from Hearts, Dundee Utd and Hibs,

not even a mention for the so called "Best team outwith the Old-Firm" that he said recently about us.

What a fucking clown he is. A total cocksocket, a horrible little man.

Then again he has depleted our squad so much he might have a point...... :O:O

And this patter about deserting a sinking ship last season and how he didn;t do it - we were THIRD and had players under contract. A new man could have came in and offered these guys new deals. NOW we are a 'sinking ship' because that degenerate refuced to offer anyone a contract?

I wonder why :P

I hope those 2 son of a bitches crash and burn.

2 years ago he was on the bru and found it hard to find an employer. Since day dot it he was wanting away. If he suceeds at dons I give him a year before he wants away, if he fails i hope him and Leech never find another job again.

I had great respect foe McGhee but it's the way he has conducted himself over the last wee while thats made me so bitter.

"If I'd left Motherwell for Hearts when the opportunity was there for me to do so a year ago I might called a rat deserting a sinking ship. But not now"

There is clearly a problem with the reproduction of that quote because it doesn't make grammatical sense. But he's not saying he believed Well was a sinking ship a year ago, he is saying this would have been the view of malign critics. Worth highlighting that just before this "sinking ship" thing gets too stuck to him by those critics thowing mud at him on here and becomes a chinese-whispered accepted fact.

He was out a job we took him on.

He had a foot on the plane last summer but decided to stay after renegotiating his contract. A handsome rise , especially as he was aware of the financial state of the club. He tried for the Scotland job. He applied for the Celtic job and then sent a text to Willie Miller telling him he wanted the Aberdeen job.

All in the two years he was here. Now we'll ignore his tendency to remark more on Celtic than his employers when in the media or the squad that he has left behind and just concentrate on the above.

Do you believe London Irish that you Mark McGhee showed the club maximum commitment and respect in the short time he was here ?

PS He was also still under contract when he decided him and Leech were leaving at the end of the season.

Yea, that's the one mate! I don't begrudge anyone a chance to improve themselves if that is what they choose but I'll be at 'Well for as long as they'll have me! For me, I feel privileged every morning when I wake up and as I am working for the club I love, I've already reached my pinnacle...

'Mon the Steelmen

'Flow

There's the difference between a fan and an employee, mate. You are indeed lucky to work at the club you support, we'd all love to be in that position.

By the way, what's this award you've won as best guy in your job etc, as quoted above?

Just read THIS interview with McGhee.........

However the new Aberdeen boss said he has no intentions of attempting to lure any more of his former playing staff from Fir Park to the Granite City.

He said: "I'm not going to go back there and start pillaging Motherwell. I have too much respect for what they are trying to do. Stephen Hughes is a different kettle of fish as he is out of contract and available.

"There are some great players at Motherwell who are going to go on and become even better. But at this moment in time they would be out of our price range."

McGhee admits he is not going to be given a huge amount of money to splash during the summer but is hopeful of bringing new faces to Pittodrie.

Just a couple of comments that can, if people want to, show McGhee talking about Motherwell in a positive way.

The fact is, it does not matter what he says, people are going to pick holes in it to suit there own agenda.

He has talked up the club, John Boyle, the player and surprisingly the supporters. As a support we have given him little credit for what he has achieved and at times very little support with what has been a very tight budget.

I happen to think he says too much. He is too open and honest with the press, almost niavely so, but at least it is honest and positive regarding Motherwell.

What he is effectively saying is that he could do no more with Motherwell. If he could he may have stayed. It would be interesting to see if he would have stayed had Hughes, Porter. Smith, Klimpl signed on for another term.

I don't want to put words into Flow's mouth but based on some of his comments on this site, I get the feeling that those who have worked directly with McGhee offer him no ill will and in fact have respect for the man.

Let's get the new man in and look to the future.

Whilst mutton pies ( :D ), a Corsa ( :lol: ) and Jimmy Calderwood's old sunbed ( :lol::( ) may seem tempting, I'll very much pass! :lol: Malcolm, the guy that does my job at the Dons, is a really good guy and very good at his job too....

'Mon the Steelmen

'Flow

Read between the lines folks! He's after that boy Malcolm's job! He's heard about Thain's the Bakers on George Street (they open early doors on a Friday but don't close until noon on Sunday) and he's dreaming about spending his Dons salary on butteries, steak pies, pineapple cakes and scones at 3am on a Sunday....

So, who are we gonna get to replace Flow? I'd see if the Stockport County webmaster is wanting a change of scenery.....

Was talking to Steph Hughes only a few minutes ago and from him he doesn't know whats happening next season but it don't look like like he sees himself at Aberdeen.

Said every chance he could still be at Fir Park and didn't say no so to see you next season!