Hammell Or Reynolds

TAM

Interested to hear other 'Well fans views on this one.

I think Stevie is the better left back. He is much better at making over-lapping runs and delivering balls into the box. He does make the odd defensive mistake but is also good at covering across when other teams break forward.

Reynolds is good in the air and calm under pressure but I just feel that JG doesn't quite know where to play him. I know he likes players who can play various positions but at the moment to me it looks like Reynolds must play no matter where. Take Saturday as an example with Hutch injured was JG saying that Saunders was a better centre back than Reynolds surely not - we should have gone Saunders-Craggs-Reynolds-Hammell.

I think Stevie has been hard done to so far this season but still has tonnes to offer us!

I don't think it possible to have this discussion at this time. Hammell has hundreds of game to show what he capable of and at his best that is a very good full back with ability to influence the game further up the park. Sadly as I commented elsewhere I don't think he is playing anything like his best these days.

Reynolds has only a handful of games at left back, I think he has some of the tools to do a job there but it to early to really say.

Lets start uncluttering the ins and outs, and leave it for, ins and outs.

As said, its hard to compare both due to senior games played in that position. Must rememeber though that Reynolds burst onto the scene with scotland as a left back. Anytime i've seen him in that position he always looks more than capable and after his average season last year maybe a wee change is what the boy needs.

Trying to think what games Reynolds has played competatively for us at left back as I also shared the opinion that is was a position he might be better suited to based on seeing him play in a Scotland shirt.

He looked fine at home to Flamurtari but that game really hardly one for taking much serious conclusions from. There was a league cup game at home to Raith Rovers season before last I think and he look dreadful there. Did he play there the away leg in Steaua also, my connection was awful and not sure where he played afte Hammell came on after half hour or so, presumed he was moved into midfield role he played in the second leg.

Reynolds defensively, mainly due to his reluctance to dive in, certainly makes it awkward for wingers that want to go past him and deliver a cross. Certainly not liable to commit himself and let the winger with a clear space to provide a quality delivery. His pace also is a good factor for the LB position, he can simply out-run the winger. And also when play is down our right hand side, his aerial presence (well compared to Hammell) will certainly be to our advantage. As we know the amount of times Hammell was exposed at the back-stick due to his height deficiency (Hartson being the main benefactor throughout the years).

Offensively it is clearly Hammell, we know that he doesn't hit the goal-line since his return from Southend and has a reluctance to cut inside at any opportunity. But, he has a good engine to support, and his crossing ability is of a very good standard. As he was one of the top 5 assists throughout the league last season, and as a result was our most creative player as a result - going by this fact. With the emergence of Forbes as well this season to take over the set pieces, again there is less of a requirement for Hammell to take these. So, his main attribute is taken away from him.

Got to be Reynolds for me, younger, more potential, better sell-on value.

Really is a case of how long can we continue "If only Hammell could re-discover his form before he left" - we can't hold off on this in the hope that he does come good again.

Don't get me wrong, it is a good option to have, and by no means should Hammell be shown the door. Would much prefer both to add to squad depth.

Regardless of who is better than who, just fantastic to have a manager that is ballsy enough to make these snap judgements on players from a game-to-game basis. Far better than Malpas, Butcher, McGhee - where the team would more or less pick itself and pretty much the team that started the game would finish the game. The fact that the previous 3 were quite content having several of the playing stuff to just coast along (not mentioning names) and be assured of there starting berth. At least now you will need to earn your shirt at 3pm on Saturday. Very impressive. It could be very harsh on Stevie if he is shown the door this early, but at the end of the day there is no sentiment in football anymore..

I think each can do specific jobs throughout the season. For example, stick Hammell in when we're going out to attack and Reynolds when we need a more defensive option? No?

I dont know. Ive been impressed with how far up the pitch reynolds gets when he's playing left back, and I don't just mean when he's got the ball and coming forward. He seems to have more of a license to get up there and make himself available to join in the play. I would expect to see him score a couple of goals this season if he plays that role on a more regular basis.

on saturday hammell had been solid defensively and jim o'brien was running riot down the left. then hammell goes off and we remain solid at the back but o'brien falls out the game as reynolds doesn't particularly want the ball when we're playing it out of defence and isn't very effective when he gets it. reynolds' are his athleticism and intelligence, not his skill with his feet.

as someone else said if we want to shut up shop against a particular winger then shove reynolds to left back. but for our average game we need some creativity from at least one fullback and hammell is far more likely to provide it than saunders, hateley or reynolds.

I think the last time Hammell did anything creative migt have been the season he first broke through. That might be the last time he hit the byline too. Don't get me wrong, I am glad Hammell has stayed but, man, he is frustrating. Someone said somewhere earlier that it seemed like he is going through the motions and I'd have to agree with that - even from 5 years ago!! Hopefully Gannon is the man to get the best out of him.