Steven Saunders

postiejim

MOTHERWELL are set to offer Rutherglen defender Steven Saunders an extension on his current contract.

The 18-year-old has impressed during his time at Fir Park with 10 first team starts for The Steelmen this season.

The young star - the current Cambuslang and Rutherglen junior sportspersonality of the year - has impressed new Well boss Jim Gannon since he arrived at the club in the summer, resulting in his appearances for the first team.

Steven said: “Talks are going well, we just need to get everything finalised before I sign it.

“I’ll be staying at Motherwell for a while definitely.”

The former Stonelaw High pupil is enjoying life in the first tier of Scottish football and admits he has already surpassed his personal target for this season: “I set myself a target of 10 first team games this season and I think I’ve surpassed that already! So now it’s just as many games as possible until the end of the season.”

It was back in early December 2008 when Steven was unexpectedly handed his first team debut.

Many questioned Mark McGhee’s team sheet when he named a very youthful and inexperienced substitute bench for that match against Aberdeen at Pittodrie.

What wasn’t questioned however was Steven’s performance. The youngster put in a defensive shift beyond his years, helping the Well to limit their defeat to only two goals.

He added: “Last year I made my debut and it was a big surprise. I wasn’t expecting to be on the bench or anything and this year, with the size of the squad, I was given a chance.”

The starlet has also been enjoying a taste of European football with the Well, having played in their Europa League ties earlier in the campaign: “I’m playing a lot more and enjoying it so I want to keep it going.

“It’s a whole different level. Getting a sample of European football is a step up as well.

“It was an experience playing in Albania and Bucharest and I enjoyed every bit of it.”

Settling in so quickly has no doubt helped Steven perform as highly as he has for the first time and one of the main reasons is his familiarity with others promoted from the youth system :“There’s a lot of young boys at the club. I got to know a lot of the boys last year from playing with the under-19s and a lot of them have progressed into the first team as well.”

Steven is also enjoying learning from established first team stars such as Mark Reynolds and captain Stephen Craigan.

He concluded: “Mark Reynolds and Stephen Craigan have been great and always give you tips in training.

“Mark Reynolds is still young, but he’s be in and about the Scotland under-21s and Scotland B squad so he’s got lots of experience.”

Great news. Shows the effect Gannon is having on these young lads. Means they will continue to be allowed to develop whilst the club will get a good fee if and when they leave.

Would love Slane and Hateley to follow suit soon too.

Saunders has been quietly going about his business without the fanfare some of the other young players are getting so it's nice to see him getting some proper recognition.

He's arguably played a more important role than Forbes, Slane, Murphy, Hutchinson or Hately however I don't think he's appreciated the same because he isny skinning folk or scoring goals. Either way he's doin the job so far, keep it up Steven!