St Mirren V Motherwell; League Game

WellTiliDie

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good result after being 3-1 down, I'll certainly take that. Well done to the team and especially Jutkiewicz for pulling us back into that.

And what a sickener that must have been for the Paisley muppets. Good to know that they'll be trudging away unhappily back to their Ferguslie Slums tonight. :D

Got to be delighted that, at the end of October, we are still unbeaten away from home. That's remarkable. I recall one or two folk slating Gannon for getting it wrong tactically earlier in the season, certainly got it spot-on today and wasn't afraid to change again when it wasn't going right. Tuesday's result will be important but not as crucial as a point today, however, you'd have to say we have the edge having fought back being 1-3 down.

Got to be delighted that, at the end of October, we are still unbeaten away from home. That's remarkable. I recall one or two folk slating Gannon for getting it wrong tactically earlier in the season, certainly got it spot-on today and wasn't afraid to change again when it wasn't going right. Tuesday's result will be important but not as crucial as a point today, however, you'd have to say we have the edge having fought back being 1-3 down.

Exactly, that's why I would have taken a point before the game. You've got to be pleased with what the manager has done. The Old Firm are as weak as I can remember, could be the time for someone to split them?

Exactly, that's why I would have taken a point before the game. You've got to be pleased with what the manager has done. The Old Firm are as weak as I can remember, could be the time for someone to split them?

Trouble is, that needs one team from the rest of the pack to be significantly better than the others. But there isn't one, so as happened today, everyone else keeps drawing when they need to be winning to catch up.

Tuesday should be a cracker now. However I await the comments from those who were at the game. How did the defence perform? Do you think we will be stronger for Tuesday or will it be more of the same?

Defence was garbage today. We tried passing the ball about at the back too much in the first half and St Mirren had done their homework closing us down quickly. Midfield wanted too long on the ball which led to them being caught in possession too often. On the plus the Boss identified the problems and more importantly changed players,shape and tactics at half time to counter the saints. Was the penalty a penalty the saints players seemed very upset and their fans were on the radio claiming it definately wasn't.

defense was pretty poor today.

gus clicked on to the fact that over the past few weeks, we have been comfortable passing the ball across the back 4.

whenever ruddy had the ball, st mirren players pressured the wide men, forcing ruddy to play the ball throught the middle to hately, who was instatnly closed down and we were put on the back foot throughout th first half.

gannon noticed this and made the appropriate changes, like taking coke of for huphrey.

on the evidence of todayy, tuesday night will be a crackin game now that both managers know what the opposition is all about.

Did well to claw it back and keep in there, but generally I thought we were fucking awful today. Passes were constantly either short, far too close to St Mirren players meaning we were always stretching to get the ball under control and couldnt string any moves together, or on at least 6 or 7 occasions...straight to a black and white shirt.

Sounds strange to say it in a game where we've scored 3 goals, but too often we've got nothing going forward to the point where it's hard to see where goals are going to come from. Thankfully the ball broke well for big Lukas and he bagged a couple, which can hopefully settle him and he can provide the goal threat we've been completely lacking.

Also, Ross Forbes' goal tally is completely overshadowing the fact that he constantly plays as if he's got 5 mins to decide what to do every time he gets the ball. I've rarely seen a player get caught in posession so frequently.

Glad we stuck in there, and it's a good sign that we've got enough fight to come back from 3-1 down away from home, but were playing very poorly up til that point...particularly first half.

Still, a point away from home is always a positive result especially given St Mirren's good form, and it keeps us there or thereabouts. We'll need to be a lot sharper and a lot more focused in the cup game though, if we want to progress further.

Glad I made the trip to Paisley today!

Not read the other posts yet, but I'd assume most will say that we were dreadful in the first half. Hateley was terrible IMO, Murphy kept wandering inside, and the defence was absolutely horrendous. Fair play to Gannon though, he changed things around at half-time and we looked a lot stronger in the second half, albeit still pretty poor.

Fair play to big Lucas. I posted on here slating him and offering to pay for his journey back to Everton, but I'll happily hold my hands up tonight - I thought he was great today. Won plenty of headers, looked comfortable with the ball at his feet, and obviously netted two goals - but the biggest thing I noticed today was his movement. For a young striker, his movement is absolutely outstanding - he dragged the St Mirren defence all over the place and was constantly making himself available for through balls from the midfield. He seems to be playing with a lot more confidence now, and long may it continue.

Oh, and I can't wait to see the "foul" on O'Brien again because it never, ever looked like a penalty! :doh:

i thought we were poor for long spells, we just seemed to struggle to get out our own half for ages especially in the first half, we just didn't seem up for it. i thought the st mirren defender got the ball for the penalty, but his studs were up high so that may be why it was a pen?

we never seemed to get into the game until they scored the third. the bbc radio said it was a great goal, surely a cross?

great comeback though can't wait for tuesday

Excellent result today considering how badly we played in the first half and coming back from 3-1 down. We were terrible in the first half and if you had said at half time we would of scored three you must of been on something.

As for all 3 goals we were pretty lucky; never a penalty(or a free kick), think Reynolds handled it on the build up to the 2nd goal and it should of been a goal kick instead of a corner for the third.

Anyway am no goin to complain we played far better when they scored their third and looked like the team that could have went on to win apart from the golden chance they had near the end.

As for the traffic that was fucking murder took over two hours going from Carluke :doh: .

Hopefully we can improve going into Tuesday nights game and take the performance from the last 15 minutes from today on to the park at the start of the game.

we looked much better in the second half when we were playing 4-4-2. hopefully we'll start that way on tuesday and attempt to put st mirren under pressure. we were a joke in the first half continually trying to pass the ball out the back and getting nowhere, st mirren clearly had us sussed out. the last 15 minutes showed how if you put teams in this league under pressure the chances will come, it's time to start our playing our football in the final third.

anybody else think big giles got the hook for diving when he gave the ball away in the lead up to their first goal? he did the exact same against hibs for their second.

Two hours!?!? Bit stupid having Rangers and Saint Mirren both at home and major roadworks in operation at the same time on the only real arterial route to both!! Could've easily had this or the game at Greyskull tomorrow to ease the problems. Once again, shi* planning.

Two hours!?!? Bit stupid having Rangers and Saint Mirren both at home and major roadworks in operation at the same time on the only real arterial route to both!! Could've easily had this or the game at Greyskull tomorrow to ease the problems. Once again, shi* planning.

Aye left at half 12 thinking that would be plenty of time but didn't get to Paisley till 2.45. We were crawling from before the Glasgow Fort to until we got by the Kingston Bridge. Was wishing we went via East Kilbride.

I thought we were poor in the first half today - apart from Forbes' long range effort offered little and seemed content to play the ball around our own half. Ironically when we did venture forward we then conceded on the break. Second half I thought we were the btetter team. A tad fortunate with the penalty seeing as the boy 1) won the ball and 2) was about a yard outside the box. However we didn't take advantage as we lost a stupi 2nd goal and then the third goal was either outstanding or jammy. But we battled on and scored two decent goals and we looked the more incisive team. I thought Humphrey changed the game. I know he scored a couple but for me Jutciewitz is too slow to play on his own up top - he needs someone closer to him. But best performance for us yet.

Good last 20 minutes. The team only seem to develop some bite when going behind.

The Juke was brilliant, won every other ball that was punted up the park.

Ruddy's passing was brilliant.

Saunders went off after headering Mehmet instead of the ball in the box. Hope he's ok.

Humphrey is a bit too blinkered.

All in all, considering how well Midden played, a draw was a great result.