Family Experience

GD123

Alright folks,

I am conducting some research for my uni dissertation in conjunction with Motherwell and the SPL. The SPL were looking for a few folk to conduct some research for various clubs and luckily I ended up with Motherwell. There should be something appearing on the official site soon but I thought I would give you lot a heads up.

I’m looking at how the club can make various aspects of the match day experience more family orientated and look to build relationships with young supporters.

Nowadays people (especially families) who are just turning to football are looking for more than just a game but a cohesive, hassle free, family experience which can be enjoyed by both parents and kids. Price is obviously a big issue but this is only one of the issues I will be looking at.

As part of the research I will be conducting various focus groups after the Well home games to try and gain insight into the current experience and try to work out where the club can make alterations. The club has been kind enough to allow use of an area in the Davie Cooper stand before and after upcoming home games.

I am looking for a variety of participants to take part in these focus groups and reflect on the experience they’ve just had at the match, previous matches and other stuff!

Firstly, I am looking for season ticket holders or regulars who take their kids to the game on a regular basis

Secondly, I am looking for regulars who attend Fir Park often but do not usually take their kids with them but could be willing to for this research at one game (the cost of the kids tickets will be covered).

Thirdly, I am looking for families who have rarely (or never) visited Fir Park.

I use the term family loosely – This could mean 2 parents and 2 kids, 1 guardian and 1 kid, grandparents and kids etc etc.

I am also keen to get a mix of both genders (mothers and fathers for eg.) to get varying opinions on their match day experience.

Ideally, the kids should be under 12 (although not strictly speaking).

Fans who are not season ticket holders will have the cost of their ticket repaid at the end of the day.

It is still to be confirmed but if there is enough interest I would like to conduct the first of the focus groups at Dundee Utd on the 28th of November. There are still some small things to iron out but if anyone would like to declare some early interest it would get the ball rolling for me. Also, if anyone has another family in mind who fits the bill in anyway please let them know.

The focus groups should last no longer than an hour and the kids will be catered for in this time (more info on that soon).

Any questions, please just ask! I’m not sure if my PM’s will be activated yet.

SPL clubs constantly pandering to this family club image is in my eyes a major reason its going down the swanny.

Why? In 20 years time these kids are going to be the adults attending games and supporting the club and hopefully bringing their kids along too. If the club doesn't do anything to try and make the football exciting for youngsters then what's going to happen to it in future generations?

How many kids, if left out of going to the football would end up supporting one of the old firm like their mates instead of their local team?

Youngsters are the future of the club and of football in general, the club should be doing everything they can to entice more of them along IMO.

It's possible that if clubs focussed more on getting adults into games than Kids

and crowds are once again healthy with kids watching their Parents, uncles, aunts, big cousins attending matches then these same kids that might not attend as children will have an asspiration to attend to see why all the adults go 'up by' every other week

they then attend in adult family groups

Kids don't have to be hooked into attending in early years they can easily get hooked later in life

after all what does a teenager want most?, something they've not been handed on a plate all through childhood.

I tend to slightly agree with Rocky that clubs have too long focussed on getting families in through gates as I don't see crowds growing with the strategy.

Look to the old firm who for years had full houses and never once chased families, only now they are grasping at families to fill half empty stadiums.

Families should not be discouraged, but nor should any group/individual by tagging the club in one demographic.

Apologies for continuing the thread off topic

SPL clubs constantly pandering to this family club image is in my eyes a major reason its going down the swanny.

What age did you start going to games at, 18? What other image would you rather they promoted? The way I see it, Fir Park has a family section, and those who want to enjoy the game as a family can sit there and I can't see how it affects those who sit in the East.

First point i have no problem with familys at football or family sections whatever.

so will kids only go if they are there with thier family? :lol:

You can still attract a young support, a support for the future without pushing this family image in your face. Infact id say Motherwell attract the majority of thier young fan base through the school incentives cheap season tickets etc.

This family idea isnt going increase the match day attendance maybe im a bit young but im sure theres alot more on parents minds than have to shell out a fortune on tickets, shirts strips etc.

They are perhaps targeting a group of society who have the least disposable income, great business sense?

The things that have gave football a base to build its fame on was the fans the crowd and the camaraderie. and i feel thats whats missing the most in scottish football.

When you go to Fir Park or any game in scotland, what age group is in the majority? or to put it better what age group is in the minority?

Too me it would be 16-25 arguably the age group with the most disposable income, no house no bills that go with it no dependable children. More moeny to go to the football more money to hand over to the clubs charging disproportionate fees for stadium entry, merchandise and confectionary.

Sorry big man, mistook what you said a bit there, still don't totally agree however. A family image can never do a club any harm in my opinion, families may come or not but I can't the youngsters who may go to games independent of their families being put off.

Too me it would be 16-25 arguably the age group with the most disposable income, no house no bills that go with it no dependable children. More moeny to go to the football more money to hand over to the clubs charging disproportionate fees for stadium entry, merchandise and confectionary.

:lol: Surely you should be arguing for the family approach by pointing out the club could add more choice of chocolate behind the kiosks to entice families thus increasing clubs Mars bar revenues.

I hardly think the club are pushing the family image in folks faces. The group you speak of above aren't the only group with large disposable income. I'm sure a dad taking his wean will spend just as much as, if not more than, two 16-25 year olds. Everyone has different priorities when it comes to spending cash. Just because some folk have bills to pay doesn't mean they don't have money for the fitba. My dad took me to the fitba when I was a boy, I spend cash at the fitba and I'm sure I'll take any kids I have to the fitba. The club benefit from this chain continuing so where's the harm in them promoting this image? Its not as if promoting this image is having any detrimental affect to anyone else is it?

I welcome the authorities trying attract new people to the game but their focus should not be solely on families and shouldn't be at the exclusion of others.

I said in the programme the other week that I supported the SPL's family initiative - not only in the hope that we do get a boost in numbers - but that their secret families might stumble across some of the the frustrations that existing fans encounter on a regular basis - hassles buying ticket, stewarding, policing, catering and admission prices to name but a few.

I suspect families have been targeted first as they are going to draw in more revenue - you get the image of 2 parents and 2 kids in freshly purchased scarves, eating overpriced hotdogs and watered down Smartprice Diet Kola - than the average bloke.

As Rocky alludes to as well, I think they authorities believe if they can get the grounds full of above stereotype then it gets crowds further and further away from those who enjoyed standing or creating a hostile atmosphere.

I also said that I hoped that the SPL's initiative wouldn't start and stop with families and that they might want to find out why people have fallen away and see what would bring them back. That to me is as equally important as getting fresh blood in.

Just to confirm, there will be a free bar in the Cooper VIP bar where it is held and some kind of entertainment for the kids!

For non-season ticket holders the price of the ticket will be refunded at the end of the day.

If anyone is considering getting in touch, please don't hesitate!

For those reading that aren't signed up to the forum you can reach me by e-mail: gordon.dyett@strath.ac.uk

• 3 weeks later...

Hello all,

Appealing for several more volunteers for upcoming home games (Hamilton and St Johnstone). I'm looking to speak to regulars who do not take their kids along but would be willing to for one game and also families who have rarely (or never) been to Fir Park.

Once again, those who are not season ticket holders will be given complimentary tickets to the game! A free family day out!

If you would be keen to take part or know anyone who would be please get in touch. If you are unsure if you would fit the bill please still get in touch as I'm sure all well fans will have valid points to make.

More details and contact information are on the official site HERE!

mon the well

• 2 weeks later...