Motherwell V Dundee United

Rickoza

Is everyone forgetting that we beat them in their home ground not long ago!?!

I know i was there that day and expected a win. As Levein said that day they were missing Gomis and Robertson (no sure if he's back yet) and he would have been worried if they had lost with them two playing. It's been ever since the Inverness game i've lost my confidence in the team and we have been relatively poor since then compared to the first half dozen games of the season.

On paper they have a far better squad and i'm sure them and Hibs will be up fighting for third spot, if not better, come the end of the season. 1 defeat in 12 for us is an incredible start to the season but we're falling short of converting 1 point into 3 which we should of done on at least 3 occassions this season.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I expect them to beat us quite comfortably on Saturday by 2 or 3 goals. They are a far better team than what we are and don't have many weaknesses.

When comparing individual players in each position, there are few if any that they actually can beat us in for quality.

This perhaps with a slightly biased opinion:

GK - Weaver or Ruddy - Both are arguably the best 'keepers in the league bar perhaps the OF two. Weaver may shade it with experience, but shot stopping there is little between the two.

RB - Kovacevic/Dillon or Moutouakil - Due to the differing opinion on here about Yassin, then perhaps United will shade it. Kovacevic seems decent defensively but hopeless attacking, whereas Dillon seems the opposite. Possible Utd's weakest position and little better than Yassin if at all.

CB - Dods/Wilkie/Webster or Saunders/Hutchinson/Craigan/Reynolds - With Webster/Wilkie both extremely injury prone. The three of them are all bit brute's, that are there to clear the ball with very little skill involved, whereas we have the finesse of Reynolds/Hutch/Saunders and combined with the experience of Craigan. We all know how good our 3 young defenders can be, and high-end Championship/low Premiership awaits if their development is continued, same can't be said for United's.

LB - Dixon or Hammell - Both provide a good set piece and there forte is there crossing ability. Both of which are very comparable, and defensively there is little to choose from the pair of them.

MF - Swanson/Gomis/Buaben/Conway/Myrie-Williams or Forbes/Hateley/Coke/Jennings/O'Brien - Most of United's trio picked up from the SFL and contribute very little on the whole to United's goals column, whereas Forbes is almost approaching double figures for the season. And we have seen how excellent Hateley has been for us this season. And Myrie-Williams runs around like a headless chicken, whereas his opponent in O'Brien has contributed far greater with his penalties that he has won and free kicks etc (obviously still debateable about his final ball) but can safely say he has been far superior to Myrie-Williams/Swanson.

ST - Daly or Sutton - Sutton has proved himself in the SPL (mainly with Dundee & St Midden), Daly has done very little bar being injury prone for United. Both, big guys and I'd much rather Sutton in my team than Daly.

ST - Cadamarteri or Jutkiewicz - Totally different types of strikers, but Cadamarteri hasn't kicked a ball in nearly a decade since first breaking through at Everton, whereas far more recently Everton thought enough to pay a mill for Lukas. And well bar hitting a double on his debut, hasn't really kicked a ball for Utd either. Jutkiewicz with a far better goal return this season.

AMC/ST - Goodwillie or Murphy - Very similar types of players, albeit Murphy has to do a more unaccustomed role in playing wide right or behind the strikers, whereas Goodwillie can play right up top in his natural position. Both, with good pace, both in the U21 set-up (where Murphy has outscored Goodwillie) and both good with the ball at there feet. Very little between the two.

So, I struggle to see where United are "overwhelmingly" better than us, in ANY position?

Murphy is about a hundred times better than Goodwillie.

Kovacevic is fine with high balls but suspect defensively, I'm not sure how he gets a game ahead of Dillon, who rarely makes mistakes.

Daly is dreadful.

Myrie-Williams comes and goes far too easily and is very, very lazy. He'll struggle tracking either of our fullbacks or wingers.

When comparing individual players in each position, there are few if any that they actually can beat us in for quality.

This perhaps with a slightly biased opinion:

GK - <snip>

See I just couldnae be bothered going into all that detail but FWIW I tend to agree we're better than them individually. Hopefully Saturday shows that.

tom hateley has been good but gomis, bauben and robertson have been impresive for a good while and are the players that worry me in the united team. coke and forbes both have questions marks next to them giles about his concentration/consistency and forbes whether or not he can handle the physical demands of the spl.

my team for saturday

ruddy

yass saunders reynolds hammell

coke jennings hateley o'brien

murphy lukas

o'brien has terrorised kovacevic and dillon this year so i'd have him back in. jennings if fit can add the bite in midfield we missed when aberdeen came back into the game on saturday, if he's not lasley. sutton's not scoring and the big united defenders would rather see him than murphy so get jamie up against the big diddys

Dillon is a total diddy. I think the 30 seconds of play leading to our penalty at Tannadice is all the evidence you need. DC'd is bang on about there not being much between our first elevens however as I've said before United will beat us over the season because they have more experience and a bit more depth.

Dixon is a bit guilty of over attacking so however is playing right mid for us on Saturday will have a role to play in getting the ball in. Thats over or round the man Yass!

It should be a game for the quicker players we have to get through the middle because their centre halves are carthorses and attacking them with any speed is liable to have them standing off or conceding a penalty. Really looking forward to this one.

Dillon is a total diddy. I think the 30 seconds of play leading to our penalty at Tannadice is all the evidence you need.

Bit unfair I think, a predominantly right footed right back asked to go and play on the left against a tricky winger intent on turning him inside out..?

I'd take Dillon.

We have a good recent record against Dundee United and Levein's teams are notoriously up and down.

Dundee United are better than us on paper and have a strong squad but if we play to our potential we can win this game.

We'll need our midfield to up their game though on recent performances and hopefully we approach the game in a positive frame of mind. Have a funny feeling Sutton might drop out for this one, I hope that's not the case.

Sorry if this has been mentioned previously but the game is on TV tomorrow aye?

Anyways this has to be the only game of the season that I dont expect us to take any points from. I may be proved wrong but it all depends on the team that show up tomorrow.

Moan ra dossers!

2-1 unitit

I was reading the pre match injury report on the bb website and craig leveins comments said it was going to be a tough game because it was being broadcast live?

Is this bad reporting or is it on sky sports, espn or bb alba i've checked the listing and can't see a thing !!!

thats where I had taken the broadcasting info from. Ah doubt BBC Alba would effect a players or a teams performance. Though it wouldn't surprise me.

According to the offishel SPL site, Sky is Aberdeen v Rangers. VT Vision is Celtic v Saint Mirrne, and BBC Alba is Hibs v Falkirk. Can't find any mention of our game anywhere.

There's no Gaelic word for Hibernian, though the one for Falkirk looks a tad strange....

Hibernian v An Eaglais Bhreac

I was reading the pre match injury report on the bb website and craig leveins comments said it was going to be a tough game because it was being broadcast live?

Is this bad reporting or is it on sky sports, espn or bb alba i've checked the listing and can't see a thing !!!

Although it is badly worded what Levein is saying is how his team plays against us when the game is not live on tv after having the game v celtic which was live

Motherwell: Ruddy, Moutaouakil, Hammell, Reynolds, Coke, Jutkiewicz, Sutton, Murphy, Hateley, Forbes, Saunders. Subs: Fraser, Craigan, Lasley, O'Brien, Archdeacon, Page, McHugh.

Dundee United: Weaver, Webster, Dods, Conway, Myre-Williams, Cadamateri, Buaben, Gomis, Kovacevic, Casalinuovo, Dixon. Subs: Banks, Daly, Robertson, Swanson, Shala, Goodwillie, Hill.

Referee: Alan Muir

Are we starting to see Gannons first choice team, with the exception of a couple of the injured players, less chopping and changing each week.

BBC radio online coverage here