Worst Motherwell Xi Of The Naughties...

Toxteth O'Grady

The "best XI" thread seems to have sparked a fair bit of debate, so here's my attempt at naming the worst 11 players to have worn the claret & amber in the last decade...

GK - Stevie Woods

RB - Ange Oueifo

CB - Karl Ready

CB - Daniel Sengewald

LB - Danny Murphy

MF - Shaun Fagan

MF - Roberto Martinez

MF - Brian Kerr

ST - Paul Keegan

ST - Trevor Molloy

ST - Abel Thermeus

Subs:

Colin Meldrum

Derek Adams

Franck Bernhard (remember him?)

Yaan Soloy

Alex Burns

Gary Bollan

Kevin McBride

Manager: Maurice Malpas

When Kevin McBride was on loan he was the second best midfielder in the league. Unfortunate with his injury. The mention of Brian Kerr is a lol.

-----------------Barry John Corr

Deloumeaux - Vaughn - Oueifio - Okoli

A. Smith - K.McDonald - Klimpl - McGarry

-----------------Keegan - Molloy

McGarry's inclusion is based on the fact he is never a midfielder despite 99.99% of his perfomances for us being there.

When Kevin McBride was on loan he was the second best midfielder in the league. Unfortunate with his injury. The mention of Brian Kerr is a lol.

-----------------Barry John Corr

Deloumeaux - Vaughn - Oueifio - Okoli

A. Smith - K.McDonald - Klimpl - McGarry

-----------------Keegan - Molloy

McGarry's inclusion is based on the fact he is never a midfielder despite 99.99% of his perfomances for us being there.

some good calls in there. i'd forgotten about andy smith, probably the single worst player of the decade. BJC was shite as well.

you must be looking for a reaction with klimpl though. it also seems a bit harsh on kevin mcdonald who looked decent at times but didn't get much of a chance. deloumeaux was a class act as well and had folk purring when he was playing for us.

corr

forrest ready malcolm bollan

a. smith j.davies fagan dow

keegan molloy

subs

iain russell

sengewald

vaughan

c.elliot

dair

meldrum

burns

I remember moaning every week about the likes of Paul Harvey, John "fuckin" Davies and Callum Elliot.

But have to agree Andy Smith was fuckin atrocious, to think he was there at the same time as McCormack on loan from Preston.

We played St. Mirren twice in that season I think, once in CIS and once in Scottish. I know we got pumped in Scottish, but not sure which of the games Smith played. All I remember was saying he was the worst pro-player I'd ever seen.

So whatever happened to these two legends, Smith and Davies? How many games did they play?

John Davies played far too many games. He only got a game because his brother - Billy Davies - was manager. It all came to a head for me one game against Queens Park at Hampden in the cup. It was the only time I have ever booed a player wearing a Motherwell strip. I was gutted with myself and have never done it since and now frown upon it. He was rotten though and I think it was the fact he was getting a game because of who he was I was booing.

No-one seems to have mentioned Richard Offiong when we had him on loan from Newcastle. A complete headless chicken with pace but sod all else! What about the big Aussie Steve McDonald that Butcher brought in? Nae good at all. Also, mind we had Neil Tarrant on loan in Davies's last few months as Well gaffer? A lazy lump if ever I saw one.

All,

I'm surprised no-one has mentioned Derek Townsley yet? He was absolute gash every time I saw him.

Also, Paul Harvey. I remember seeing him play for Stenhousemuir, last game of the season, one or two seasons after he left us. He was rubbish at that level; third division. 

I don't have enough names for eleven, though these two would be in my team for sure.

SD 

All,

I'm surprised no-one has mentioned Derek Townsley yet? He was absolute gash every time I saw him.

Also, Paul Harvey. I remember seeing him play for Stenhousemuir, last game of the season, one or two seasons after he left us. He was rubbish at that level; third division.

I don't have enough names for eleven, though these two would be in my team for sure.

SD

Both of them got on my bench :O

Apologies; I spotted Harvey, though not Townsley.

I'm amazed there are have been ten or so worse than Del-boy, though I do remember him scoring against us for Hibs.....

I was watching a few of my old DVDs the other night and it seems if Townsley scored every other week. I always remember his goal against Celtic when we beat them 3-2. However, that was Barnes' team so that says it all :O

Stevie Woods

Yassin Moutaouakil

Ange Oueifio

Greig Denham

Andy Dow

Kevin Twaddle

John Davies

Said Chiba

Gary Bollan

David Kelly

Paul Keegan

Subs: Francois Dubourdeaux(gk), Daniel Sengewald, Danny Murphy, Trevor Molloy, Gerry Britton, Derek Townsley, Richie Foran

Manager: Maurice Malpas, assisted by Paul Hegarty