Fair Play League

el-pidge

As it stands I believe we are top of the spl fair play league again and as I remember, the national fair play results were first displayed around this time last year. (26th Jan by my reckoning)

Any ideas about what Scotland's chances are of securing the berth? Any interest in a few more small time European games? Could it once again be something to save whats turning out to be another fairly mediocre season.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i think its to do with the fair play of the national team + domestic clubs in europe. not the spl

Aye, the fair play of national team + domestic clubs in Europe decides which three countries get the extra European place. It's then up to each country to decide which team gets the place (which is usually determined by that country's domestic fair play league-- certainly was in our case.)

I really don't think there's much point in getting excited about our fair play position just now. Admittedly I don't have the facts to hand, but I can't recall Scotland winning a fair play place very often. I think Kilmarnock got a place in the UEFA Cup 10 years or so ago through it, but that's the only one I can remember aside from us last year.

Getting another place this year is a long shot, so best not get excited, cause you're just setting yourself up for a massive disappointment; a bit like following us in the Scottish Cup.

most people around me thought that dargo dived.

it inadvertantly led to our first goal anyway so all's well that ends well

Yes that may be the case, however arguing with the ref and he was in the refs face and out of line deserved a yellow card but he went OTT. So yes silly bookings will cost us. If we were hit on the break and needed to get all 3 points and a blatent foul to preserve the win then aye. But not for that nonsense.

• 1 month later...

Current table, for what it's worth, from ESPN........

Rank Team Yellow Red Points

1Motherwell 29 1 31

2Kilmarnock 37 1 39

3Hamilton Academical 38 1 40

4St Johnstone 41 1 43

5Celtic 36 4 44

6Falkirk 46 0 46

7St Mirren 41 4 49

8Rangers 44 4 52

9Hibernian 46 4 54

10Dundee United 45 6 57

11Aberdeen 49 7 63

12Heart of Midlothian 54 8 70

Why is it every year Hearts are bottom of the Fair Play league? I think an idea would be in the week before the split take points off in relation to where you are in that league. i.e 1st in Fair Play league you lose a point, 2nd you lose 2 points etc. Means thugs like Hearts would get 12 points taken off them & miss out in the top 6 which is fair enough coz they have obviously kicked their way there. I realise it seems a bit harsh but maybe it would encourage teams to clean up their act knowing that winning games by kicking teams off the park won't help their eventual league position.

How many times have you seen your team a goal down & your stirker going through on goal just to be cynically chopped down by a defender. The chance is gone the game is lost & all that happens is that the defender picked up a yellow card for the benefit of his team. :P