Ticket Prices

MilkyJism

I eagerly await your next topic. How would the club make more money if the prices were dropped? You cant just make daft claims if you arent going to back it up.

There's a good suggestion from Juan in a different thread regarding season tickets.

To be honest, there isn't any way the club will drop prices for any real length of time unless other SPL clubs do the same, and unless they drop them for a decent amount of time, we'll see no real results.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's a good suggestion from Juan in a different thread regarding season tickets.

To be honest, there isn't any way the club will drop prices for any real length of time unless other SPL clubs do the same, and unless they drop them for a decent amount of time, we'll see no real results.

Was it Juan aye? Hes just half inched it from me in this thread :lol:

This old chestnut again - i don't how old some of you posters are and not that it really matters other than to justify my point, but I don't know where you think all these 'floating' fans have suddenly disappeared to. I have been following Motherwell for the best part of 45 years and with the occasional 'special' matches, our 'home' fan attendances have hovered pretty much around the 4 to 5,000 mark.

Where I think our club, probably more than 'city' clubs have lost out is in the travelling support. Those of a younger generation will no doubt look back at attendances in the late 60's early 70's with some envy, however clubs carried much healthier 'away' supports, which obviously artifically inflated the sense that MFC crowds were far better than now - not the case. I remember jealousy watching throughout the 80s at the success generated by Aberdeen and Dundee Utd and at that time wishing a similar degree of success for the 'well - surely with a team challenging we could draw 15,000 every week and the place would be rocking - well the next decade brought the first real modicum of success - cup win and a league challenge over 2 years - even splitting the OF, the result an average overall attendance of around 7,500 - this included 4 home OF fixtures.

Teams such as Rangers, Celtic, Hearts, Hibs, Aberdeen and Kilmarnock, used to bring huge away supports, they don't anymore, that is why our average is plumetting, what we are seeing now are gates, mainly based on our core support, which is nearly the same now as it has been throughout my years of attending Fir Park. Don't kid yourself that there is this huge 'latent' Motherwell support ready to rise at the first sign of a drop in prices or with success on the park - there isn't. Yes we can draw a crowd for the one-off big games, cup finals and the like, just not on a regular basis.

Don't kid yourself that there is this huge 'latent' Motherwell support ready to rise at the first sign of a drop in prices or with success on the park - there isn't. Yes we can draw a crowd for the one-off big games, cup finals and the like, just not on a regular basis.

Sadly .....this is the most accurate summing up on this subject. We could leave the exit gates open and we still wouldn't fill Fir Park. Lowering prices for a sustained period will only damage the club income. We have our hard core supporters who pay whatever it takes ......

Sadly .....this is the most accurate summing up on this subject. We could leave the exit gates open and we still wouldn't fill Fir Park.

Ironically, we'd probably have more chance of filling it if we charged a quid-- perceived value is an odd beast.

(Case in point: The company I work for used to give one of its software products away for free, but a lot of other companies didn't want to use it until we started charging for it...)

This old chestnut again - i don't how old some of you posters are and not that it really matters other than to justify my point, but I don't know where you think all these 'floating' fans have suddenly disappeared to. I have been following Motherwell for the best part of 45 years and with the occasional 'special' matches, our 'home' fan attendances have hovered pretty much around the 4 to 5,000 mark.

I think you are missing the point. The aim over the next few years is to keep the 'home' fans there as pretty soon it is going to drop below 4000 for an 'average' game if it hasn't done so already. But by trying to keep everyone here and perhaps entice a few old faces back we could easily attract a few 'floaters' into a game or two very easily as well.

Seeing that thread about Falkirk memories instantly reminded me of the game against Falkirk during our Scottish cup run in 1991.

It's amazing to think that we got over 10,000 fans for a 4th round cup game against a 1st division team back then.

What would we get for a 4th round cup game against Falkirk nowadays?

Seeing that thread about Falkirk memories instantly reminded me of the game against Falkirk during our Scottish cup run in 1991.

It's amazing to think that we got over 10,000 fans for a 4th round cup game against a 1st division team back then.

What would we get for a 4th round cup game against Falkirk nowadays?

That just backs up my previous argument 'We?' didn't have 10,000 against Falkirk, the ground did hold that attendance, but Falkirk brought somewhere around 3,500 to 4,000 that day. Happened regularly as I stated from the late 60's onwards - it was other teams away supports which inflated the gates at Fir Park not our fans.

That just backs up my previous argument 'We?' didn't have 10,000 against Falkirk, the ground did hold that attendance, but Falkirk brought somewhere around 3,500 to 4,000 that day.

Even if Falkirk did bring the amount of fans you say they did, we still got a crowd of 6,000-7,000 fans for a fourth round cup tie against a division 1 team, didn't we?

I seriously doubt we would get that now if we were drawn against someone like Dundee or Ross County.

Happened regularly as I stated from the late 60's onwards - it was other teams away supports which inflated the gates at Fir Park not our fans.

I'm assuming that when you say "clubs carried much healthier 'away' supports" that you're talking about Motherwell too?

In the end, it shows that fans were attending football regularly back then.

I can remember going to games in the mid 80's with my dad and my cousins almost every week.

That kind of thing simply can't happen anymore. It's way too expensive.

As many others have already said, if other entertainment companies can cut their cloth accordingly in this day & age, then so can football.

Even if Falkirk did bring the amount of fans you say they did, we still got a crowd of 6,000-7,000 fans for a fourth round cup tie against a division 1 team, didn't we?

I seriously doubt we would get that now if we were drawn against someone like Dundee or Ross County.

Bad comparison Scottish Cup ties, they do tend to draw a slightly larger attendance, even today. Not that long ago we had an attendance not far short of this for both Morton and QOS (though my mind might well be playing tricks).

You are right though people do not attend as regularly as the did perhaps a decade ago. And Juan you are correct in your assumption that the average is falling below even my quoted figure and worringly so. Attracting lost-souls back is futile in my opinion - football is habit-forming, these supporters have lost that habit and desire (in some cases) and I'm afraid the fare they watch on their TV sets is unlikely to entice them back (irrespective of price).

Attracting lost-souls back is futile in my opinion - football is habit-forming, these supporters have lost that habit and desire (in some cases) and I'm afraid the fare they watch on their TV sets is unlikely to entice them back (irrespective of price).

Forget the lost souls, we need to try and entice the 9 and 10 year olds of today to come to the ground and watch the club on a regular basis.

If the current trend continues, and football keeps getting uncercut by other forms of entertainment, what will be the result for clubs like Motherwell 10 or 20 years down the line?

We don't have the TV deals, shirt & merchandise sales or international appeal that a lot of other British clubs outwith the SPL have, do we?

If the punters who sit in the seats every week are the clubs bread & butter, then maybe they ought to start listening to what they have to say, and start trying to sort some of the problems that have arisen in the past 10-15 years or so.

I've already said that the feedback we've had from Leeanne is promising, and I hope a few cost-effective ideas can be tested in the coming few years.

I can't really understand why there are petty arguments & bickering going on over certain ideas.

Every idea should be welcomed at this stage, regardless of how viable it is. The very fact that people are willing to actually think about the matter is a positive sign.

Surely everyone who posts here should be wanting to see more seats filled on a Saturday at Fir Park?

NO argument from me - would love to see more through the turnstyles, more power to your pen and voice - though perhaps I might be allowed a little cynism, given that I've tried in vain for 40 years to persuade others to join the 'well rollercoaster, pity I won't be around in another 30 years to see whether you succumb to my apathy :D .

• 2 weeks later...

When I started going to the Ark in 1977, I'm pretty sure it was about 40p for kids to get in, unless your kind father/uncle/stranger lifted you over the turnstile. I'm sure adults were about 80p. Using the Bank of England inflation calculator, 80p in 1977 is the equivalent of about £4.73 now. The standard adult East Stand price is £18, so thats nearly 4 times more than if the gate prices rose in line with inflation.

I remember buying a Frys Turkish Delight for about 10p in 1977, so using the football gate calculator, it should in theory cost me about £2.25. :-) and if it was, I wouldnt pay that for a wee bar of chocolate. Yet, I will quite happily follow my team and pay for 3 season books for myself and my 2 boys. Why?? For the love of the club like many others.

Football is an expensive business, with average players getting good salaries and its the fans who are helping finance this with higher prices at the gates. Boyle has tried many initiatives over the years but doesnt draw in that much a higher attendance. Even when its a tenner for adults and free kids, we only get a small increase. There are too many other attractions for families, bowling, the pictures, games consoles etc that are a more attractive proposition for others.

I dont reckon Wark and Pettigrew would be anywhere near the equivalent salary that some of the 'Well players are on today, in a time when they were men and played on frozen pitches or even worse ploughed pitches that we have today. As a result, to even have a team that performs reasonably well, we need to pay more to keep a certain standard which results in income being sought from somewhere.

What you have to remember though is that the cost of running a football club, and the wages of a footballer, have risen way above the level of inflation as well, and unfortunately one has to cover the other.

It's not right, but one club can't change that. It needs an overhaul on a level way bigger than Motherwell Football Club. There are ways we could make a small difference to ourselves and our own fanbase (in fact not just our own fanbase...more the attendees of Fir Park, which include away fans), and indeed a few that personally I think would work very very well, but then im not risking anything...im looking at it from a perpective where it's impossible for me to lose any money, so it's much easier to think it will work.

Mate, im in the same camp as you. Ive previously been a season ticket holder and the last few years ive only been to the odd games.

This year ive been more often but i dont fork out for a season ticket.

No matter what anyone suggests on this forum it is constantly hit back with negativity.

I agree the club needs to get fans like us on seats for the season.

Personally i beleive the scheduling for SPL is poor. Too many games in winter, pitches poor conditoin. Start season early and have a winter break and resume again new year, games on Wednesdays and Saturday/Sundays in summer light will improve attendances.

I would happily pay £15 to get in the East, not £18-20.