Next Youngster(s) To Step Up?

superwell99

With us losing Slane I was just wondering who you think will be the next lads to come through our youth system into the first team maybe next season?

McHugh is making an impression but outwith that. Lads 18 and younger?

Good to see a youngster coming through. I think Murphy will fetch us a decent bit of money and move to the championship or lower EPL in a couple of years.

I was in the year above steven meechan at school..unbelievable player! Just needs to sort out the drinking and he'll be a great player for the 'well (hopfully).

Dezz

Sort out the drinking?! You serious? Meechan is hardly out at all anymore, what a daft thing to post on an internet messageboard.

It seems a tendancy with young guys that they burst onto the scene then have a quieter patch. We've seen it with Reynolds and Clarkson and to an extent Forbes. Arfield who we saw last night is another one.

Murphy as a striker concerns me. I don't doubt he can finish and he is a decent player but he's not especially powerful and he isn't as quick as his build suggests. If he could improve on one of those aspects he would improve a hell of a lot as a player. When he was left up top alone last night he looked like a boy lost.

McHugh has good things about him and I think long term he could be a better prospect than Murphy. Clearly a couple of years behind him in development but from what I have seen I like.

Hutchinson has been excellent but a bit injury prone so there is a bit of fitness work required there, sort that out and we could have a star on our hands in him.

Saunders has a good leap and could put his head on most things but to be blunt whilst he has had good games I don't really rate him or see much prospect there. Though I'd love to be wrong as I certainly don't doubt his effort or workrate.

Forbes is a showstopper but he isn't a worker. He is good at deadball and long range shooting but his passing is too often astray and crossing inconsistent. His tackling can be lazy. And he isn't fit enough either. He has potential to be a good player but I think his run of goals at the start has maybe over exposed him to the media and hindering his development at the moment. A wee break could be order of the day for him.

Meechan held his own against Celtic so hope for him but only seen him once.

Heard lots of good things about Pollock, but apart from a ridiculous cameo against Celtic when he is clearly a couple of years from SPL level, I haven't seen him.

Did Hutchison have many injuries before this season? If not, then the injury prone tag is a bit harsh.

I like Murphy, and I think he looks more of a threat as a striker than as a midfielder. He also seems to think this. He's had a couple of good games up front alongside Sutton, and I think he benefits from having a contrasting style to Sutton and Juke.

Was Pollock not one of the kids that Celtic tried to nab as well?

Sort out the drinking?! You serious? Meechan is hardly out at all anymore, what a daft thing to post on an internet messageboard.

To be fair Bop, I havn't seen him out for quite a while now which I suppose has coincided with his progression to becoming involved in the first team and I did see him on a number of occasions during the summer out running to keep his fitness levels up, so fair play to him, he seems to be much more determined now.

Surely big Hutchie when he ever gets fit will be a good un. I like the look of mcHugh who seems to be a potential Scott Mac. The thing with these younger players is confidence and proper coaching. I believe now with J and V in charge these young players can fullfill their potential. Same goes for Forbes who seem to have lost his way a wee bit. :lol: