Reynolds

Frazzie

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

a mod changed the title of the match thread can the title of this not be changed to ""reynolds, opinions" or something as it seems to be only the OP that thinks this and it's unfair that idiots get to set the tone of the site.

It's my thread - I'll set the tone however I like. Keep your eyes peeled for:

"steelboy - What a c**t.

Discuss."

So it should go to HOTD because you don't agree with what he's saying? Aye, very good. I thought these forums were all about opinions.

FWIW, I don't agree with Frazzle's assessment that Reynolds is "murder". However, I do think he is overrated and the "golden boy" of an elemnent of the Motherwell support.

IMO, without his pace, he'd be about as effective as Wullie Kinniburgh. I mean he is poor in the tackle, his distribution is as poor as Craigan's was/is, and his positional awareness is shite (his pace gets him out of this though). The only area in which he has improved in the last couple of years is his aerial abilty.

I know in the summer he'll be in the last 12 months of his deal, so if we can get £500k-£600k for him, i'll thank him for his service and i'll even drive him there myself.

I tend to agree with your opinions Frazzle but for soemtime, i think you have been well wide of teh mark with your views of Reynolds. Fair do's though, you are entitled to your opinion which i respect and there is probably sufficient evidence to back up your criticism.

I think he is a fine defender though, blessed with pace and a great reading of the game. His aerial ability has improved and he is half decent at bringing the ball out of defence. For me, he isn't far off the Scotland squad.

Last night though, he had a howling lapse in concentration. No one will be sicker than him today and I'm sure he strive to make up for his mistake in the coming weeks.

He's a solid SPL defender, but is prone to lapses such as last night and as I said to folk at the game, it's moments like that which will prevent him going on to the bigger leagues like the Premiership.

Because Premiership defenders don't have lapses of concentration? The amount of School Boy defending in the Premiership is not much lower than that in the SPL.

Yes, but the majority of them are already established in the league therefore its harder to replace them. For someone to break into the league they need to be something special and Reynolds just isn't that unfortunately.

Reynolds was as good as many other players last night, yet a moment of madness cost us. To say he is murder is way off the mark. In the past couple of months I actually think Reynolds has been one of our better players.

I wouldn't let a, albeit awful, split-second decision cloud our judgment that he is a very good defender. If he's not up to it... what are we expecting in a Motherwell defender. Standards maybe a bit high?

Yes, but the majority of them are already established in the league therefore its harder to replace them. For someone to break into the league they need to be something special and Reynolds just isn't that unfortunately.

You have a point but all he needs to do is get into a Championship side and get promoted. For example, if Steven Caldwell can play in the Premiership - so can Reynolds ;)

Also, Chris has a point. We're Motherwell FC, we're never going to have the complete Defender.

Terry Butcher and Colin Hendry - 2 former international captains - felt that Reynolds had a solid game apart from his mistake.

Granted that mistake cost us 2 points, but he was responsible for a lot more good than bad last night, and indeed over the course of his time at the club.

I'll value the opinion of 2 former international defenders over someone who can only see the incidents that he wants to see in order to justify his opinion.

He cost us two points last night. He can't mark, has no positional awareness, can't tackle, not great in the air. If he didn't have pace and was right-footed he'd be playing for FirParkCorner. One of the most over-rated players I have ever seen in a Motherwell jersey, which is made all the worse by the fact that Craigan, who is a far superior centre-half, gets pelters from the support because he's not as quick, but he can do everything else.

It angers me that Craigans OG in Bucharest got pages of pelters on this site, and Reynolds' mistake last night, which was every bit as bad and arguably more important, is merely a hushed after-thought because he's the golden boy.

Get him tae fuck, Broony. Take the money!

You are clearly insane.

He is not fucking murder. Overrated; i agree.

I thought he has improved since last saeson but still lacks the strength and the commitment/aggression that he needs to add to his game. His pace is an excellent attribute and it saved us more than once against Falkirk 2 weeks ago. His presence in the team that led to nearly 10 hours without conceding an SPL goal has got to be applauded.

I'm not Reynolds' biggest fan, but I do think he is probably worthy of a first team place while Hutchison is out injured.

My main gripe, and Frazzle has mentioned it, is how quickly people jump on Craigans back after he makes a mistake similar to the Reynolds (or Ruddy) one last night but there is never the same outcry when Reynolds does it.

People will say it is because of the amount of times Craigan has made mistakes, but he has been around longer and thats bound to happen but I bet if there was a ratio of 'games played/mistakes made 'for both Reynolds and Craigan, they would probably be neck and neck.

As I said, I'm not his biggest fan so I'm probably being a bit harsh on him, but I,personally, would definetly feel more comfortable with a Hutchison/Cragain CB pairing than the one we have just now.

To be fair, I think his aerial ability has improved, and he's always looked comfortable with the ball at his feet. I don't hate the guy - I just don't rate him. I did say in a conversation with someone at the start of the season that maybe playing in the gap in front of the defense where he was for one of the European games might suit his attributes better. I just find myself constantly terrified when the ball goes anywhere near him at centre-half as he's too easily turned and does make bad decisions. I also don't think he reads the game at all well, which doesn't suit his position, especially if he's up against a pacy striker. I don't think he'll have a long career, as I think as he starts to slow down, he'll be shown up unless he improves other aspects of his game.