Jim Gannon V Craig Brown

well4eva

Given we have know played 10 games i thought it would be intresting to compare how the 2 fared in there first 10 SPl games of the season. I appreciate Jim Gannon left us in a mess but he did have a very capable squad in his hands with that in mind.

Jim Gannon: Craig Brown:

St Johnstone 2 2 Motherwell Kilmarnock 0 3 Motherwell

Motherwell 3 1 Kilmarnock Motherwell 2 0 St Mirren

Aberdeen 0 0 Motherwell Falkirk 0 0 Motherwell

Motherwell 0 0 Rangers Aberdeen 0 3 Motherwell

Dundee utd 0 1 Motherwell Motherwell 1 0 Hamilton

Motherwell 1 3 Hibs Motherwell 1 1 Rangers

Motherwell 1 0 Falkrik Hamilton 0 0 Motherwell

Celtic 0 0 Motherwell Motherwell 1 0 Hibernian

Motherwell 3 3 St Mirren Motherwell 1 0 Kilmarnock

Motherwell 1 0 Hearts St Johnstone 1 2 Motherwell

P W D L GS GA GD P W D L GS GA GD

10 4 5 1 12 9 +3 10 7 3 0 14 2 +12

Points=17 Points=24

This clearly shows that Craig Brown has done better than Gannon in his first 10 games but lets not forget Gannon signed:

Ruddy

Jutkiewicz

Jennings

Hatley

Coke

Humphrey

All these boys have been good signings while humphrey has missed a lot of games because of family issues when he has played he has been good.

My overall view of it is that Gannon built a team that could compete but then his youth policy and bad man managment meant relations felt apart and his postition became untenable but while Gannon does get shot down for the mess he left us in his actual results before November/December where ok.

But Craig Brown has shown that his superior experience and his willingness to learn means that he is a better manager but a far superior man manager.

This is after all just my opinion though.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gannon also signed Moutouakil as well so Craig Brown deserves extra kudos for punting him on his first day at the office.

Gannon's football was sometimes better. Brown gets us results. Give me results any day!

Or arriving as his contract expired.

Let me think....The national team's most successfull manager ever. Taking my team on a fab run from flirting with relegation to challenging for europe. Having everyone at Fir Park happy at their work and all round nice guy whose won 2 managers of the month awards. Whose to say it wont be 3? On the other side there's a baw heided whinger who said managing us was like juggling soot?? :thumbup: . Yes it a tough one!! :woop:

Gannon's football was sometimes better. Brown gets us results. Give me results any day!

:thumbup: All depends on what you're after in a football club. If results were everything I have to say I wouldn't still be a 'Well fan after all these years so give me good fitba' to watch first. If we win the game playing good fitba' so much the better but for me the team doesn't need to win for me to enjoy the game and vice versa.

So for your last remark I can't say I completely agree.

Really? Where was all this great football we played under Gannon? It must have been away from Fir Park cos I didn't see it.

A good second half against Kilmarnock and a battling display against Rangers (in which we created very few goal scoring chances) is all you could point to and say was better than average.

I was probably one of the earliest and most vociferous critics of Gannon but even I'd give credit to him for the signings he made, although I don't accept some peoples argument that he built us up from nothing. We already had a strong spine when Gannon arrived (Hammell, Lasley, Craigan, Reynolds, O'Brien, Sutton plus guys like Murphy, Fitzpatrick, McGarry and all the young players). We needed players to be brought in but we already had 6 or 7 players that would be automatic first choice players for most of the teams in the league so there was already a strong framework to build on.

Gannon brought in good player but in ever other regard I think the Gannon era was a failure and we have a far superior manager in place now.

Gannon's good start to the season also benefited from the team having competitive football pre-season (still can't believe we played six European ties before an SPL ball was kicked) He failed to build on that advantage and instead he ruined the good work done.

Hearts game aside.

Gannon’s last ten SPL games as Motherwell manager

P 10 W1 D5 L4 /Goals For 13/ against 22/ Points 8

Brown & Knox first ten SPL games as Motherwell manager

P 10 W7 D3 L0 /Goals for 14/ Goals Against 2/ Points 24

An unbelievable turnaround.

I think we wouldn't be where we are without Gannon or Brown. We needed both of them this season.

That's a great point.

Gannon is quite clearly being demonised - but the percentage of successful signings is way way up there. I also think the players were as much to blame as Gannon for the bad run.

Brown and Knox's motivational skills are there to be seen - however don't be fooled that there won't be a run of bad results at some point.

The run we are on at the moment is great and Brown is showing his motivational and man management strengths vs Gannon quite clearly.

Brown has the annual clear out / recruitment process to negotiate - if he's half as successful as Gannon was I'll be well pleased.

Really? Where was all this great football we played under Gannon? It must have been away from Fir Park cos I didn't see it.

I don't disagree that we have a better manager noo. In terms of good football but, I liked the ideas that Gannon tried to implement in our team... it's a pity we ain't Madrid but and didny have the players to make his ideas work.

Just an example of this is the way he never let Ruddy punt the ball. He insisted that his team needed to be able to play the ball from the back, draw the opposition out and then get in behind them. That's why he didny like Craggs.

We had some cracking games under him at the start and even some of the games like the draw at home to Utd people will easily forget because we couldny get the ball in the pokey.

Fair enough, aside from Flamarturi there weren't many big scorelines, but his fitba was much easier on the eye than that of Broon, Malpas and Butcher in recent years. The only manager that has done a better job of full on entertaining fitba in the last 10 years was McGee in his first season when we set out a 4-3-3 every week.

I really believe if he sorts his man management skills out, gets a job at a club with a decent budget and learns to shelve the passing game when his team are in front, he'll turn out to be a top top manager somewhere. Sadly I think he's proving to be far to arrogant at the Posh already to show any signs that he'll improve his man management.

I don't disagree that we have a better manager noo. In terms of good football but, I liked the ideas that Gannon tried to implement in our team... it's a pity we ain't Madrid but and didny have the players to make his ideas work.

Just an example of this is the way he never let Ruddy punt the ball. He insisted that his team needed to be able to play the ball from the back, draw the opposition out and then get in behind them. That's why he didny like Craggs.

We had some cracking games under him at the start and even some of the games like the draw at home to Utd people will easily forget because we couldny get the ball in the pokey.

Fair enough, aside from Flamarturi there weren't many big scorelines, but his fitba was much easier on the eye than that of Broon, Malpas and Butcher in recent years. The only manager that has done a better job of full on entertaining fitba in the last 10 years was McGee in his first season when we set out a 4-3-3 every week.

I really believe if he sorts his man management skills out, gets a job at a club with a decent budget and learns to shelve the passing game when his team are in front, he'll turn out to be a top top manager somewhere. Sadly I think he's proving to be far to arrogant at the Posh already to show any signs that he'll improve his man management.

Take Malpas out that list I really couldn't agree. Sure early euro games and first 5 maybe 6 weeks or so of the domestic season and we seemed to play some decent easy on the eye stuff, after that is was getting pretty turgid. As boring and ineffective to watch a team as I can remember, not even just running out of ideas in the final 3rd just plain pish.

Without being a slave to playing it short we are playing fitba the now that is getting results and fairly decent to watch, much better than last few months of Gannons time.

Even under Butcher in first season or two we weren't all route one, though we did seem to fall back on humping it for Skippy to chase more and more during that last season and frankly being awful to watch under Malpas.

Enjoy it while it good though as superb as Broon has been doing we'll be rebuilding in summer again no doubt. Fingers crossed we can make some cash and Brown can hopefully spot a player as well as he can seemingly motivate and organise them.

I think we wouldn't be where we are without Gannon or Brown. We needed both of them this season.

I agree with this all the way.Just think if Gannon wasn't here who would we have,who would he he have signed,how well would we have played and would we be in this position just now?

Great point, never thought of it like that before.

Just happy as I thought by this stage last year we'd be struggling for SPL survival after what was left in McGhee's wake, however look at the forum main page and you'll see a thread asking if its possible to secure 2nd place. Warms my cockles.

Do you think when the Posh ditch him we could employ him as a scout? No man management, only a notepad, pen and sookie sweeties.

Absolutely. Gannon may have had his massive personality flaws that ultimately were his undoing, but the players he sourced (apart from the full back from Charlton who's name I can't spell!) were by and large fantastic signings! Could anyone else have realistically re-built the shell that McGhee left us so well?

Brown and Knox however have been the ones that have got us playing though and hopefully they will be the men to persuade all of Gannons signings to re-sign.

Gannon signed a few of our best players this season, so fair play to him.

Gannon also didn't play our best players for most of the season which I feel has helped us when every other club is sticking with thier best 11 all season where as Craig Brown had the easy option of dropping players who were fading like Saunders, Moutouakil, Forbes etc and bring in our strongest team with Craigan, Lasley, Jennings, O'brien, Sutton etc all coming back in as fresh as thwey could be.

I reckon we would be in a better position if Gannon had played the likes of the above all season maybe. Seemed to get his subs all wrong most weeks

For example, the 4-2 defeat against celtic- Crying out for a physical player to come on and challenge the big defenders and he brings on a small. lightweight jamie pollock when Big suttons sitiing scratching his arse on the bench?

Browns subs like saturdays seem to be game changing and motherwell minded instead of being youth minded.

One craigy Broon!

Gannons a W@nk!!

Spot on - Brown is benefiting a lot from the hard work that Gannon put in. What happened was probably for the best as he clearly wasn't settled here but don't see the need to belittle Gannon at all, just as silly as the juvenile backward-looking potshots at McGhee.

I think Gannon will do very well at Posh next season, there is a gulf between Championship and League 1 and as shown by the number of teams that yo-yo up and down between those two leagues, Posh are a classic example of a club that spends enough to do very well in League 1 but not enough to hack it at the higher level.

too many Fickle fans on here, we all sing when we are winning.

Gannon done Well, unfortunately his Management skills and attitude was poor.

Brown on the other hand has the experience and is a results man.

Agree, Results over style.

Brazil are now the Results team and the fans hate it. Still i'd rather play solid and finish 3rd than play pretty football and finish 9th.

For me Browns results its clear has had the better results but cant compare the time of games played, winter into spring and as soon as a new manager comes in results generally come AKA Killie, Hearts.

For me we cant slag Gannon as he done a job, not great but still OK.

I confess I was right behind Gannon until the news broke about his man management skills. I thought he was a breth of fresh air with his devotion to youth development and passing football. The majority of his signings have proved to be good catches - especially Hately.

I now admit to being wrong - a quality Gannon appears to lack. I've already heard him say the Peterborough players and fans have been wrong but he was right. Shame. I suspect his career will consist of fleeting triumphs and numerous failures.

As I said, he'd make a very good scout which he could combined with a day release course on man management at a local further education establishment allowing him to re-enter management and fulfil his true potential.

Or he could go on hopping from various clubs in trouble, staying no longer than 18 months, noising up most who interact with him on a daily basis, punting for a big jobs unaware his behaviour and demeanour means he is slowly making that possibility more distant.

As I said, he'd make a very good scout which he could combined with a day release course on man management at a local further education establishment allowing him to re-enter management and fulfil his true potential.

:( But as a scout, he'd have to report to a manager - someone higher ranking with more knowledge and skills. In JG's eyes, does such a mere mortal exist?