Just To Remind You All

LadywellToi

Just to remind everyone where we were after Gannon's initial run of good form.

P Team Pld W D L GF GA GD Pts

1 Celtic 10 7 2 1 20 8 +12 23

2 Hibernian 10 6 2 2 16 8 +8 20

3 Rangers 9 5 4 0 15 6 +9 19

4 Motherwell 10 4 5 1 12 9 +3 17

5 D Utd 9 4 4 1 12 7 +5 16

6 St. Mirren 10 3 3 4 12 14 −2 12

7 Aberdeen 10 2 5 3 7 9 −2 11

8 Hearts 10 2 3 5 9 13 −4 9

9 Killie 10 2 3 5 8 12 −4 9

10 St. John 10 2 3 5 16 21 −5 9

11 Accies 10 2 2 6 8 17 −9 8

12 Falkirk 10 0 4 6 5 16 −11 4

Also after the the Hearts game at Tynecastle (technically Jack and Vic were in charge but I don't count it as their first games as they probably didn't know anyone's name and Youngy picked the team).

P Team Pld W D L GF GA GD Pts

1 Rangers 18 13 4 1 46 12 +34 43

2 Celtic 17 11 3 3 36 18 +18 36

3 Hibernian 17 9 5 3 25 14 +11 32

4 Dun Utd 17 7 7 3 22 22 0 28

5 Hearts 18 6 5 7 16 19 −3 23

6 Motherwell 18 4 8 6 21 29 −8 20

7 St. John 17 5 4 8 25 30 −5 19

8 Aberdeen 16 4 6 6 12 18 −6 18

9 Accies 16 4 4 8 15 26 −11 16

10 St. Mirren 16 3 5 8 18 25 −7 14

11 Killie 17 3 5 9 12 22 −10 14

12 Falkirk 17 2 6 9 14 27 −13 12

Considering we haven't dropped below 6th and the way the squad was over the summer this has been a remarkable season. Also a 17 point swing to Rangers at the top.

The first away game I went to was vs Celtic at Parkhead in 1990/91 I think, we won 2-0 Dougie Arnott scored at least one and it was the old terracing and jungle. During that game I didn't fear them in the slightest. I felt the same watching us hump Van Hooijdonk at Hampden singing "There's only one Tommy Coyne". I think the same can be said at our next meeting, based on his recent form Keane needs man marked though, However Mowbray is probably thinking the same of Jennings.

A really useful tip I learned today for anyone inclined or bothered who doesn't know already, if you use wikipedia and click the history tab you can select any date of revision for review, allowing easy access to stats at specific periods.

Also after the the Hearts game at Tynecastle (technically Jack and Vic were in charge but I don't count it as their first games as they probably didn't know anyone's name and Youngy picked the team).

And because it makes your point a little less valid. Hibs have 2 games in hand, they win one of them and we're back down to 5th, where Gannon left us.

Stat tampering ftw.

We were 7th for one week, ironically after the start of Brown's good run with 2 wins and a draw. However by that stage most of the teams had caught up with us to to the poor run of Gannon's latter days.

The stat that matters is that Brown has won 8 out of 12, Gannon won 4 out of 17.

And because it makes your point a little less valid. Hibs have 2 games in hand, they win one of them and we're back down to 5th, where Gannon left us.

Stat tampering ftw.

Not if they win against Dundee United we're not - which is one of their games in hand.... Now if Hibs and Dundee United both win a game in hand that they have then we'll be back to 5th, a position one above where Gannon left us.

Getting facts wrong FTW

Simply cannot argue with that.

You can really!

I'm delighted with the run that we're on - and it's obviously brilliant to see the team winning.

But the two men regardless of what you think of either have / had different aims and objectives for the way ahead which have been argued to death elsewhere, but meant that they used very different starting XIs.

Not getting into it again - but we're not comparing apples with apples - and the two men clearly explained to us very different philosophies on the way they were trying to take Motherwell forward we need to recognise that.

Stat tampering ftw.

I wasn't trying to prove any points, I started this thread to highlight 2 things, not score kudos.

The first of these is the history option in Wikipedia that allows you to access league tables on almost any date throughout the season. I picked tables I thought were significant.

The second was to comment on the low, high, low, high, hopefully high we've all experienced in the past season. Even at our worst league position (7th)so far, how many would have taken a 7th place finish in June 2009?

Last summer, with a decimated squad, no manager, money tight, wondering if any of the U16's could play first team, we were in a sorry state and many (myself included even after putting the best possible spin on things) thought this year would be very tough. A relegation battle at best, alone at the foot of the table by a long way at worst.

I found the appointment of Gannon after researching his background an inspired decision by JB. Initial worries were put to bed with our start to the season and by mid October I thought, despite everything we might achieve top 6 (I knew we'd have a lull with the experience levels and consistency). The first table I posted showed the initial high, the second showed that in the following 2 months (8 games) we achieved 3 further points, the second low.

We all know where we are now and what we are challenging for to make season 2009-10 a success. Quite a rollercoaster ride we've been on and definitely not where many thought we would be. Who would have thought 9 months ago they'd be threads about finishing second (granted a little tongue in cheek), European qualification for the second year running (on performance opposed to our crime count), etc.

I just think its been remarkable and this wasn't designed to highlight Gannon vs Brown, Nethertonwellfan eloquently pointed out that we needed both of them this season in another thread. Gannon has been among the best scouts we've ever had (French right backs aside) and Brown has showed experience does temper fresh ideas and initiates on occasion.