Mfc Trivia : Facts & Figures, Odds And Ends

trafficlight

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

amazing to think that Stevie Hammell could quite conceivably become the motherwell player with the most ever appearances for the club (post war), especially considering his sabbatical with the shrimpers and the fact that we're in the day and age where that sort of length of service is considered extraordinary.

Cannae see that happening, but I reckon he'll make 3rd, which is still a tremendous achievement.

Would that make him a legend?

Don't see why not, he's not exactly over the hill, and it's quite conceivable that he could get another 150-200 appearances for the club, 35 appearances a season for the next 5 years would make him our highest appeared player ever. I don't think it's as crazy sounding as you think.

And yes, I kinda think that'd make him a legend by default.

Don't see why not, he's not exactly over the hill, and it's quite conceivable that he could get another 150-200 appearances for the club, 35 appearances a season for the next 5 years would make him our highest appeared player ever. I don't think it's as crazy sounding as you think.

And yes, I kinda think that'd make him a legend by default.

I don't think it's crazy, but I just don't expect it to happen. And I'd probably agree about the legend status by default if it did happen.

Not sure on that but I do know Crags wouldn't be getting one of we stuck to it.

we as a club don't get to decide who qualifies for a testimonial it's do with the inland revenue. i also think there are quite strict rules around how it has to be organised.

hopefully we'll get stevie signed up for another 3 or 4 years soon and keep on racking up the appearances. Frazzle - what sort of criteria would a player have to meet in your eyes to be considered a legend? what more can a player do than give a decade of solid service?

we as a club don't get to decide who qualifies for a testimonial it's do with the inland revenue. i also think there are quite strict rules around how it has to be organised.

hopefully we'll get stevie signed up for another 3 or 4 years soon and keep on racking up the appearances. Frazzle - what sort of criteria would a player have to meet in your eyes to be considered a legend? what more can a player do than give a decade of solid service?

Interesting. Didn't know the club don't really have a say in it etc. I know the player in question can't speak at events etc. but other than that don't know too much about the organisation of a testimonial. Would be quite interesting to be a part of a committee that arranges one I think.

That is a really good question, and one we've argued over in JDs for years. After much thought and discussion, my honest answer is... I don't really know!

Some people would say that anyone who played in any of our three winning Cup Finals would automatically qualify - I don't agree. I would say any of the players who played in both '52 and '55 would qualify by default, but what I would say of the 1991 Cup-Winning team (don't know a lot about the players from the fifties!) is that there was a few guys in there who are, to me, journeymen - including two of the goalscorers in the final! I mean no disrespect to these guys when I say that - I'd be delighted to buy any of them a pint should the opportunity present itself but, to me, legend is a word reserved only for the very best.

Dougie Arnott - cup-winner, played in the seasons we came 2nd and 3rd, scored loads of memorable goals against the Old Firm, length of service and one of our own. These things all go in his favour. To me, each of those things make up the criteria of a legend, and I think people can argue over how many of those things you need to be one. The fact that Dougie ticks all of those boxes is the reason he is my all-time favourite player. Guys like Martyn Corrigan only really get a tick in the length of service box and even then it was three years short of Arnotts spell. I think the Kaiser was absolutely magic and one of my favourites from recent years, but I'm afraid he doesn't deserve to be in the category of 'legend', and suggesting he does only cheapens the title for me.

However, that's just my opinion - it's very much open to interpretation!

do you not think that's maybe to do with your changing attitudes to players as you've got older more than anything else? add to that football fans seem to be harder to please these days i think due to so much football on tv and the 24/7 frenzy that the internet has created. i think the fact you can't sum up what you're looking for shows that it's probably something that doesn't exist.

in my eyes corrigan is a legend. we had eight years of total commitment from him taking in various highs and lows and lot of undoubted great performances. if the definition of a legend is someone who's going to remembered and talked about in years to come then corrigan fits the bill. when we're all old (or older) and the talk turns to the turn of the millenium the kaiser is going to be one of the first names to pop up.

corrigan, hammell, craigan, clarkson and lasley might not be the most exciting players but i think they all define what motherwell is (and should be) all about: commitment and hard work with the ability to throw in something special. they'll be the guys (along with faddy and phil) that will be remembered from this era at fir park.