Post Split Fixtures

Iain7_mfc

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

THe clubs cannot afford to swallow a loss of revenue to that degree. And there is not a single league I've seen where you only play 30 games.

How about 30 games then playoffs for another 6 points by teams beside each other in the table.

So ASSUMING Rangers and Celtic finish 1st and second with say Rangers 4 points ahead the last two games are Rangers V Celtic for 3 points/ 1 point each draw as normal and then Celtic v Rangers for 3 points/1 point each as normal. The Old Firm get their games against each other and the TV companies would LOVE the showcase style of the games.

Then you go down the table - 3rd v 4th home/away for points to battle who gets into Europe and all the way down to 16th v 15th for 6 points to battle relegation.

This way everyone gets 15 home and 15 away to everyone and Rivals for league places get one home and one away for an end of season 'playoff' which at certain areas in the table could provide seriously interesting games!

I am making this up as I go along and have honestly just thought of it but fuck me I think it is the dugs danglies!

Thoughts?

How about 30 games then playoffs for another 6 points by teams beside each other in the table.

So ASSUMING Rangers and Celtic finish 1st and second with say Rangers 4 points ahead the last two games are Rangers V Celtic for 3 points/ 1 point each draw as normal and then Celtic v Rangers for 3 points/1 point each as normal. The Old Firm get their games against each other and the TV companies would LOVE the showcase style of the games.

Then you go down the table - 3rd v 4th home/away for points to battle who gets into Europe and all the way down to 16th v 15th for 6 points to battle relegation.

This way everyone gets 15 home and 15 away to everyone and Rivals for league places get one home and one away for an end of season 'playoff' which at certain areas in the table could provide seriously interesting games!

I am making this up as I go along and have honestly just thought of it but fuck me I think it is the dugs danglies!

Thoughts?

Quality idea, however, you are just a humble fan! Why should anyone listen top you? You are not only a humble fan but you are a fan of a diddy club! So your idea will not happen!!!

Sorry to burst your bubble mate :mad: but that is the way things happen in our game!

Some teams that could be added to the mix if the spl got bigger...

Inverness, Dundee, Dunfermline, Partick thistle.

Teams probably could compete with the bottom half of the table and have fairly decent stadiums.

We'll probably have to include Celtic too, no matter how pish they are... :mad:

Rangers are moaning = something will now get done....

boo-hoo

All fair and valid points, made when they have not been the worst hit adding a certain integrity to the argument, and one of the few clubs I recall highlighting the inbalance year in year out.

the cynic in me would consider them to try and gain an advantage with whatever structure is considered going forward

BUT

they are lending considerable weight to the drive for change, Don't knock it

Maybe not, but neither will ever face 20 away games in a season and just 18 at home. That's my point. Don't matter if you have to go to a single venue three times, it's still only going to be 19 away, 19 home for both of them.

Correct. Never ever ever will the SPL do that to them. Every one else but not the OF - imagine the radio phone ins if Celtic got one less home game than Rangers? imagine the cires of agenda and even religious accusations?- what they fail to realise is that they are just two clubs like Motherwell getting less home games than Aberdeen - do we assume the SPL have some sort of pro-Aberdeen/mutton agenda? No and that really is absurd as what WOULD happen should the SPL be 'unfair' to one Old Firm team. Idiots.

So Dundee Uniteds manager Peter Houston has came out in Support of the Split

that'll be Dundee United who will have had the almost perfect home-away-home-away fixture list this season the only blip being a third home match against Rangers. B-)

It sure is the Self Preservation League,

Look after yirselfs and damn the sporting integrity of the competition

In response to Juan Kerse's idea, there's not a chance in hell that league deciders between Rangers and Celtic will be allowed to happen any time in the near future - let alone having them in the form of a double header!

That's part of the reason why the fixtures are in a mess as it is - the SPL go out of their way to avoid the trophy being won in an Old Firm game. If that means messing up the 'diddy' teams' fixtures, apparently that's fine.

THe clubs cannot afford to swallow a loss of revenue to that degree. And there is not a single league I've seen where you only play 30 games.

The Portuguese play only 30 games.

Scottish football has never adequately solved the problem of having 2 clubs who are massively bigger than the rest.

At first I thought a 30 game season was ridiculous but its not all that uncommon, russia, portugal, sweden and ukraine all have it, most of which are better leauges than our own.

In sweden its 2 up, 2 down with a play off between 3rd bottom and 3rd top of the division below. That means probably 5 or 6 teams would be involved in the 'relegation battle'. ALso, this season in the SPL the top 7 clubs are all pretty close to one another so thats a huge proportion of the teams with something to play for. Kinda disproves the theory that there would be too many 'meaningless games'. PLus play-offs are always exciting :unsure:

Not sure if they still do it but at the end of the swedish season there was once a kind of scandinavian mini-tournament, top 4 teams from Sweden, Denmark and Norway all take part in a knock-out competition. NOt sure if something similar could be done here, along the lines of that celtic cup. or going back to the glory days of the texaco cup!

Also, in the Ukraine, they have a break after the first fifteen games, then a break from December to March i think. Would shut up all the people complaining about winter football even if just on a one-off trial basis. I'm not a fan of a winter shutdown myself but no harm in giving something new a try. The split was good but it has caused too many problems and the leauge needs a shake-up.

One concern however. If we did expand to 16 teams it would probably mean four of Inverness CT, Dundee, Dunfermline, Ross County, Queen of the South, Partick coming up. That doesnt leave much quality in the leagues below to be promoted in following seasons. Mind you, the teams left below would probably strengthen and turn in to half decent sides just as the ones that are at the top of the current first division have.

Say Caley,Ross County,Dundee + Dunfermline come up.

Ok the 1st Division wont be THAT great but it will still have the likes of Partick,QOTS,Morton, Raith,Ayr,Livingston at the top once the bottom leagues are re jigged! Not bad really, ALL could do a job on most SPL teams on any given day.

Say Caley,Ross County,Dundee + Dunfermline come up.

Ok the 1st Division wont be THAT great but it will still have the likes of Partick,QOTS,Morton, Raith,Ayr,Livingston at the top once the bottom leagues are re jigged! Not bad really, ALL could do a job on most SPL teams on any given day.

Don't you mean all could do a job on Motherwell in any cup tie :unsure:

Boyle seeking some from of compensation mechanism to be put in place.

Story from the Beeb

Interesting that he says: "The problem is that this has had catastrophic effects on Motherwell's finances. We made a loss last year; this year, we were heading towards a small but decent profit and that's been completely blown out the window because, obviously, you budget for a Celtic or a Rangers game and, hopefully, if it's an important one, it can be a big money-spinner."

I thought we budgeted for a 11th place finish and early cup-exits. This suggest we now expect to be a top six side. Granted the league is full of utter rubbish like Killie etc. but still, ity could lead to nervous times, especially if we get player/manager recruitment wrong at some stage.