Jim Obrien Article In Lennox Herald

numpty

http://www.lennoxherald.co.uk/dunbartonshi...14557-26186659/

Dumbarton footballer Jim O’Brien talks about his progress in SPL with Motherwell FC

Apr 9 2010 by Andy Galloway, Lennox Herald (main ed)

WEDNESDAY, June 10, 1998. Scotland are playing Brazil in the opening match of the World Cup finals in Paris.

As well as 80,000 fans in the Stade de France, millions throughout the world are paying attention to the match on TV.

Among the world wide audience watching Craig Brown’s Bravehearts take on the world champions is 10-year-old Dumbarton schoolboy Jim O’Brien.

Now, 12 years on, that youngster has grown up to be a high-ranking footballer himself, starring for Brown at Motherwell.

Jim has been a revelation this season, impressing many with his performances in attack for the Fir Park club, firstly under Jim Gannon and then Brown.

He said: “When you’re growing up, you don’t imagine you will be playing for the Scotland manager in years to come.

“For me personally, it’s been my best season to date. I’ve been playing probably the best I’ve ever played and I’ve been more consistent.”

Jim has been touted to star in the dark blue of Scotland himself after his performances for Motherwell this season.

He has played at youth level for the Republic of Ireland, but has never won a full cap, meaning he can still switch to Scotland.

But the 22-year-old wasn’t giving anything away in terms of his decision, although he has worked with national boss Craig Levein before.

He said: “It’s something that might be there for me, but it will be a hard decision. I haven’t really made up my mind yet – I will wait and see what happens.

“I played under Craig Levein at Dundee United, so I know what he can do as a manager.”

Having grown up in Brucehill, Jim has fond memories of his time playing the game in Dumbarton.

A former pupil of Our Lady and St Patrick’s High School, Jim turned out for Bellsmyre Boys’ Club and Dumbarton United before being snapped up by Celtic aged 12.

He was at Parkhead for nearly 10 years, a period which included loan spells at Dunfermline and Dundee United, before he signed permanently for Motherwell in 2008.

He was one of a number of local players who have now made it in senior football, including his cousin, Aberdeen defender Zander Diamond.

He continued: “It’s always good to play football with your friends at that age, and that was where my journey in the game began.

“I played alongside Ryan Conroy, who is on loan to Partick Thistle from Celtic. Zander is a bit older than me, along with Fergus Tiernan, but they were both part of the local football scene as well.

“I was 12 when Celtic came calling for me, and you don’t knock back that sort of opportunity. I jumped at the chance to join them.

“But it meant I wasn’t allowed to play for my school team, as you couldn’t do that if you played for a professional club. It was one of many things I had to give up.

“I moved to Motherwell just after I signed for them. I like to just roll out of bed in the morning and go to training!

“But my mum and dad, Patricia and Jim, still live in the town, and obviously I visit them there a lot.”

Jim hasn’t been the only midfielder with Dumbarton connections to win rave reviews at Fir Park this season.

Ross Forbes, who was an integral part of Sons’ third division title success last season, has also achieved great things with the Steelmen.

Jim added: “Ross has been playing brilliantly for Motherwell. When Jim Gannon started as manager, he held a practice match on his first day, and Ross stood out.

“He’s never really looked back from there, and has stepped up really well and scored some great goals.”

But it hasn’t just been Jim’s football talent that has been noticed this season.

He was featured on BBC Radio Scotland’s ‘Off the Ball’ show, playing his guitar and singing a song he wrote himself, called ‘Sadie Bird’.

Jim admits it’s something he’d like to do more of at some point in the future, as well as continuing his progress in football.

He said: “I learned the basics of playing the guitar at school, but I’ve never been in a band or anything like that. I’d definitely like to take it further at some point and maybe write more stuff.

“The song is about my ex-fiancee and was really written for a laugh. I was just messing about writing stuff, but she said she quite liked it.

“People thought I’d written it after we split up as it’s about an argument, but it was initially just for a laugh.”

His form has dipped of late, obviously not helped by pitch.

Am I the only one who has noticed that his reaction to people fouling him recently have been way over the top....is it because he has a contract elsewhere already in the bag and is worried about injury???

I wonder what sort of reaction he'll get when he signs for Aberdeen lets hope its another Derek Adams/Steven Craig scenario where after they leave its all downhill

I hope I'm wrong I think he is one of our better players

His form has dipped of late, obviously not helped by pitch.

Am I the only one who has noticed that his reaction to people fouling him recently have been way over the top....is it because he has a contract elsewhere already in the bag and is worried about injury???

I wonder what sort of reaction he'll get when he signs for Aberdeen lets hope its another Derek Adams/Steven Craig scenario where after they leave its all downhill

I hope I'm wrong I think he is one of our better players

Maybe just fed up of folk knocking lumps out of him? :rolleyes: