M.f.c. Defence

LadywellToi

OK, Lukas' strike is finally sinking in, I have the use of my fingers again. I'm concerned considering our last visit to Greyskull that in 100 minutes of football (from McGeady's goal to Hibs 6th) we conceded 10 goals, 1 every 10 minutes, shocking.

This was pretty much the same defence in terms of personnel and positioning (minus Hateley) that frugally let in one goal in 11 games earlier this season.

WTF has happened?

Tonight, I really don't care. :D

But since I'm here anyway... can't speak for the Rangers game but thought we missed Jennings and Lasley tonight. They do a great job of making attacks difficult for the opposition, we looked seriously exposed in front of the back four.

Don't wanna dwell on it too much though, it's no every day we see a game like that and I'm gonnay enjoy it. Back to the beeers.

Steven Sauinders

same old song but, whit?

saturday hammell sold the first. second was unlucky and after that didn't matter.

tonight saunders struggled but craigan and hateley were worse. the biggest factor was missing jenno.

saunders has had a superb season.

i don't think ruddy had his best game tonight but he was still decent. he could have done better with one or two of nish's goals but that wasn't the problem.

hughes dismantled gannon the first time by pushing 4 players right up against our back 4 and did it again . that totally fucked us and we only came back into the game when riordan went off tonight.

we paid the price for having a weak squad tonight. when you're switching between murphy and sutton at left mid because you have no you trust to play their you'll pay the price.

John Sutton played left mid untill we went 4-2 down.

Weak squad my arse. We're missing an out and out left winger, that doesn't mean we have a weak squad. We had 2 first teamers out tonight and the subs did well enough when they came on.

i don't mean weak as in poor. i just mean we've got far, far less experience than hearts, hibs and dundee united.

hibs have 8 or 9 full internationals in their squad.

hearts have a £10m wage bill

united have twice as many over 21 players in their squad as us.

a quick swatch about the squad lists gives me this amount of players in each squad over 21 (playing min 270 mins)

us - 12

hibs - 17

du - 17

hearts - 18

we've clearly got the thinnest squad and more than likely the smallest wage bill.

a quick swatch about the squad lists gives me this amount of players in each squad over 21 (playing min 270 mins)

us - 12

hibs - 17

du - 17

hearts - 18

we've clearly got the thinnest squad and more than likely the smallest wage bill.

Means fuck all.

21 is just an age.

Also, fuck all to do with the defence which was your first point.

I just can't fathom why assured rock tight defensive performances have turned into something resembling a Saturday morning Boys Brigade game on an ash park. I was chuckling to myself tonight in disbelief at first, now upon reflection, I'm pissed off with how amateur we are looking.

I've been one of Craigan's biggest fans since Gannon's departure, I feel he acted like a true professional and stepped up to the plate. Tonight, after watching the Sky highlights, I'm thinking he looked completely out his depth and inept.

However it isn't just directed at him, it covers the whole lot of them, Hammell was woeful too and culpable for a few tonight and against the unwashed on Saturday.

Reynolds showed glimpses of ability and composure, but they were fleeting.

Saunders was the best of a bad bunch on Saturday, almost gave it a null vote on the MotM thread, however tonight at times he was terrorised.

again. we've played them 3 times on a playable park, each time they've played four guys right up top and we haven't been able to handle it at all. we got absolute chasings the first two times we played them.

if we had lasley and jennings available we might have been able to deal with them but we didn't.

First of all recently we've been playing good teams. The Dundee United side is pretty good and going to Celtic Park is never going to be easy. For all Hibs poor form they have some terrific forward players - Riordan and Stokes in particular are a cut above most of the players in this league. You'd probably have them both in an SPL XI.

Secondly, if you are being honest Ruddy hasn't been anywhere near as good in the second half of the season than he was in the first. Even during the good run he didn't have a lot to do because the players in front of him were talking care of business. He's conceded poor goals in the last two games and then there was the terrible mistake up at Dundee Utd.

Thirdly, I keep saying this over and over but defending does not start at the 18 yard line. Recently we've been missing Lasley and/or Jennings and that has probably been the single biggest factor. Without them our defence is much more exposed than it is with them in the team. Hateley, who for 90% of the season has been brilliant for us has been absolutely garbage in midfield. I can honestly say his performance last night was one of the very worst I've ever seen at Fir Park.

Fourthly, Saunders is a young player learning his trade and he is very up and down. Sometimes he is great and sometimes he's far from great. I can't remember him making any sort of important tackle of clearance last night and Riordan raped him. In fact probably the biggest factor in us getting a draw last night was the substitution of Riordan because they would have gone on and scored 7 or 8 if he'd still been on the pitch.

I actually thought our worst defender last night was Reynolds. Maybe he was thinking it was his last appearance at Fir Park and the occasion got to him....however if any scouts were watching him last night he won't be going anywhere.