Dundee Utd Field Weaken Team

WilliePettigrew

Today's game meant nothing to Utd and they have the Cup Final next week-end. They had every right to leave out players that they want to save for the Final. Dundee United's "duty" is to Dundee United and their fans.

I'd expect Motherwell to rest/ safe-guard players under the same circumstances.

It will depend on whether they can prove the players they left out had injuries or not. Its a tricky one cos if we were in their position we'd do the same. However, imagine United played a weakened line-up if both bigots were battling for the title, there would be an inquiry then for sure.

A manager should be entitled to put out whatever team he wants, regardless of any other team's situtation. If Dundee United, who have easily secured 3rd place, wish to rest players ahead of the Scottish Cup Final then so be it. Tough titties.

Lets remember the seven changes included the return of their no 1 goalkeeper and also the resting of Webster who has a knock. Houston and United have earned the right to play whoever the hell they like and when you think we missed out by two points and all the ones we threw down the toilet to go and blame United now is petty. Entirely our own fault (if thats the right word) we came 5th and not 4th.

Today's game meant nothing to Utd and they have the Cup Final next week-end. They had every right to leave out players that they want to save for the Final. Dundee United's "duty" is to Dundee United and their fans.

Did they field a weakened team in mid-week when they had nothing to play for then!

eh, no

:doh: Get a grip. There was no complaints last week when the Timms fielded a weakended side against us. Can only blame ourselves for not taking 9 points in our last 8 matches.

Hardly a weakened side... Boruc, Hinkel, Braafheid, Thompson, O'Dea, Brown, Zhi, McGeady, Samaras, Fortune, Rasmussen, Keane, Kamara.....

Think it would smack a bit of sour grapes for us to pursue that angle with the SPL. Fourth place has been in our own hands for weeks and we passed up the opportunity, simple as. Just need to dust ourselves down and try harder next season!

Dundee United did their main job, they won the diddy league and won it with games to spare. They had nothing else to play for in the league, so fair play to them keeping players fit for the final.

All the mock outrage on here counts for fuck all. If we were in the same position, we'd be expecting Craig and Archie to do the same thing.

Dundee United and their fans are delusional c***s, but IMO they absoutley did nothing wrong here!

Pretty much agree this.

I agree that it was within their rights to field a weakened team. But it is also within our rights to bitch about it. I was fairly certain that a point would be enough at Ibrox on the basis that DDee Utd would not lose at home to Hibs. The fact they did was almost certainly down to the fact that they played a B team today.

I hope I am wrong but I have a strange feeling they may be taking the cup for granted on Saturday with Houston talking about how they may get back to tannadice next Staurday with a full house after the game. Knowing our luck it would not surprise me if Ross Co win next week by the odd goal.

Let's be honest and say that were the shoe on the other foot, their fans would be having a go at Motherwell for doing the same thing.

A bit of reality here... DUFC were entitled to field any players, they wanted to today. It's a shame that clearly Yogi's fuds were up for it more than them. Houston and his team owe us nothing and owe it to their fans to win the cup next week, so whilst I fully understand folk being pissed off, we'd have been quite happy to watch our under 19's having a run around if the shoe were on the other foot! Just hope the inbred feckers win next week :doh:

No we shouldn't complain.

But the footballing charter does state that teams should field their "Best available teams" - Although Dundee Utd could easily just say that all 7 had wee niggles... who's to prove otherwise?

Didn't Wolves or someone get done for something similar?

But then, the bigger teams get away with it... obviously...

EDIT: Aye Wolves got a suspended fine for ten changes against Man Utd.

Is this the best we can come up with?

We're 5th because we performed 5th best over 36 games, not because Utd fielded an under strength team.

No doubt every team in the league can point to a situation where they should have got points but didn't. Too many draws and a wee blip under Broon have cost us.

In a word NO we shouldn't complain. They're quite entitled to rest players for next week and we'd've secured 4th spot if we hadn't defended like schoolweans against Hibs :doh:

It was the Falkirk game that did us. They came to our place won 1-0 and got relegated a month later.

Having said that match was really the only 'bad' result we had in the whole second half of the season so really we ought to congratulate Brown and the team for being in that position in the last day.

Just a wee stat for you,

Brown got an average of 1.83 points per game over 18 matches. If we'd managed that over the whole season we would have finished 7 points clear of Dundee Utd in 3rd place.

Gannon managed 1.17 points per game over 17 matches which over a season would have had us finish in 8th place.

Utd & Hibs are the teams that finished ahead of us in the race for Europe. Both these teams had a much longer close season than 'Well. I honestly think that had our squad not been so jaded & had the same close season break as these teams we would have blown Hibs out the water & gave Utd a real fight for third. So we were unlucky to finish fifth but it's done now & Utd done the sensible thing by resting players & if we complain about that then we are just Celtic with different coloured strips.

I dont blame united. If anything, I blame the shocking decision to chalk off that goal against rangers at fir park. It was said at the time that it would be a decision to come back and bite us in the arse and that is exactly what has happened. The points we were denied there would see us in 4th.

However I'm not bitter. Im too pleased with our season to be. You win some you lose some.