Harri Ylonen

Haggischomper

Can't remember how this turned out - I presume we must have been in the right. Anyone know/remember?

Byline: PETER JARDINE

A FINNISH agent is threatening to take Motherwell to FIFA after claiming the club gave a free transfer to Harri Ylonen after previously promising him a lucrative three-year contract at Fir Park

The Finnish international sweeper's representative, Juha Wallenlind, told Sportsmailhe received a fax last week from Motherwell chairman John Boyle freeing Ylonen without, as yet, any offer of compensation.

write_ads(2,1)Wallenlind insists he has a pre-contract agreement for the FC Haka defender, signed by former manager Harri Kampman last summer, which invited him to join the Lanarkshire club in November after the end of the Finnish season.

Now Ylonen has been left in limbo after terminating accomodation arrangements at home in readiness for a move to Scotland.

But Boyle argues he has done the decent thing by telling Ylonen he is free to find another club while Motherwell have the paperwork studied by lawyers.

'Mr Boyle has faxed me to say Motherwell are giving Harri Ylonen a free transfer and will not bring him to Fir Park,' said Wallenlind.

'Motherwell say the pre-contract agreement I have signed by Harri Kampman is not valid because it was not signed by anyone else on their board. But I have an original SFA contract which was given to me by the Motherwell general manager Alan Dick and then the pre-contract which was signed by Kampman.

'I will be speaking to Mr Boyle because Harri is naturally very disappointed and if Motherwell are not going to take him then there must be some kind of compensation. If it comes to it, then I might have to take the issue to FIFA.

'It is a lot harder to find a player a club in Europe in midseason than it was in the summer yet Harri Kampman actually got Ylonen ahead of interest from Sweden, Belgium and Norway. And the player also has a problem with his flat here because he assumed he was coming to Scotland.' But Boyle said: 'Rather than keep the player hanging on, I felt it right to inform him that we have no requirement for him here, which is for certain.

'I am having the validity of the contract examined legally. It is in Finnish rather than English so I don't know if it is a home game or an away game. Nor do I know yet how we stand with the SFA, UEFA

'After I've had these aspects assessed hopefully we can resolve the issue.'

Remember this well, always wondered if we dodged a bullet or missed out on a gem.

A quick look on wikipaedia seems inconclusive, 46 caps for Finald suggest he can't have been to bad but spent most of his career in the Finnish league bar a couple of seasons in Norway and a brief spell in a regional league team in germany late in his career.