Motherwell 6 (3) - 2 (2) Hibernian

Arnott 10 Crawford 4

Weir 23 Laverty 8

Garcin 43

McCulloch 81

Coyne 88

McCulloch 89

on 31-01-1998

Motherwell: Woods, Christie, Ian Ross, Newman, Martin (Philliben, 45 ) , Falconer, Weir, Garcin (McSkimming, 72 ) , Coyne, Arnott (McCulloch, 78 ) , Coyle

Hibernian: Reid, Miller, Boco, Jackson ( Dow, 77 ) , Dennis, Welsh(sent off 43), Harper, Larusson ( McCaffrey, 87 ) , Crawford, Lavety, McGinlay

Subs not used: Walker,

Bookings: Falconer (Motherwell) Dennis , Jackson , Welsh (Hibernian)

Attendance: 6169

on 31-01-1998

No danger, I cannae believe I was 12 at that game! It surely wasn't that long ago!? Okay, I blatantly know it was late-90s - but still!

To be fair, Eric Garcin's free-kick was a belter!

Aye, what was more amazing was Lee McCulloch scored twice! I remember the one at Easter Road, no-one who was there could get round the fact Hendry actually managed to score once never mind a second......

Did the legend that is John Hendry not actually score 1 or 2 in this game? And didn't this one send the Hibees down or get a manager sacked or something?

It was Jim Duffy, I think it was, who was in charge at the time and that basically sealed his fate. I think we got another week out of McLeish then he was off the Hibees.

just watched the highlights tonight, saw my 14 year old self sitting down the front row of the east stand.

garcin's free kick was as good as i remember it but tommy coyne m'lord's finish in the second half was absolute class.

i made the mistake of watching the 2-2 each h*n cup tie after it, woods passing the ball to durie still makes me want to greet. :thumbup:

Was a funny game that. I recall thinking at 0-2 after just 8 minutes there's no way we are goint to lose to this bunch. We strolled to 3-2, they missed a couple of great opportunities, then flattened them on the break during the last 10. Then McLeish decided to jump ship not long afterwards to go to relegation-bound Hibs.

The reception he got when we went to Easter Road soon after was good.....

just watched the highlights tonight, saw my 14 year old self sitting down the front row of the east stand.

garcin's free kick was as good as i remember it but tommy coyne m'lord's finish in the second half was absolute class.

i made the mistake of watching the 2-2 each h*n cup tie after it, woods passing the ball to durie still makes me want to greet. :thumbup:

Your worst nightmare. Well intotal control of the game and cruising, then big numpty has a brainstorm.

How he is employed escapes me!!

There's no way we should have lost to them anyway - they were pure pish. As I recall, McCulloch only came on for the last ten minutes and bagged a brace.

He did indeed, on 78 minutes for Doogs. Always remember Welsh getting sent off just before half-time (for the foul which gave Garcin his free-kick goal) and how we laughed as the mop-haird clown went.

Eric Garcin :lol:

Remember this game well, even though I was only 11 at the time. Was in the Main Stand that day with my Dad.

Tried to copy Garcin's free-kick in the back garden for weeks!

Am I right in saying that those were Lee McCulloch's first goals for Motherwell?

Was a funny game that. I recall thinking at 0-2 after just 8 minutes there's no way we are goint to lose to this bunch. We strolled to 3-2, they missed a couple of great opportunities, then flattened them on the break during the last 10. Then McLeish decided to jump ship not long afterwards to go to relegation-bound Hibs.

The reception he got when we went to Easter Road soon after was good.....

I also recall the year Hibs bought their way back into the SPL there first game of the season was a home tie against then Well. There was a big demand for tickets and quite few hibbiesfound their way into away end. It was a close game and hibs were leading with seconds to go then right at the death we equalised and I'll never forget the glum face of the poor hibbie who was sitting next to me as underboyleheating and I went mental!