Joe Wark

Psycho1991

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like many, my growing up years of watching the Well in the late 60s through the 70s allowed us to watch some truly fantastic players, of which Joe was one.

He was a sensational left back, and has often been said, had he played for either of the Squirm, he'd have raked in a load of caps for his country.

Best wishes Joe, for you and the family.

MON RA DOSSERS

am i the only person who thinks people's medical details shouldn't be posted without their permission?

all the best to joe and his family but as someone who has seen close hand what alzheimer's does to a person i don't think "getting better" is very likely.

If they were a Motherwell player then the fans deserve to know whether a player is ill or not!

Anyway permission was given before this was posted! I have known about this for a year so I didn't just blab because I was choking to !

Why do people have to bring negatives in to a what should be a positive thread ? :lol:

When I got the chance a few years ago to have meal and a drink before the game I spoke to the great man, I can't even remember who we played because all I could tell anybody who would listen was I had met the legend that is Joe Wark.

My thoughts are with you and your family Joe all the very best from me and mine :lol:

Like many, my growing up years of watching the Well in the late 60s through the 70s allowed us to watch some truly fantastic players, of which Joe was one.

He was a sensational left back, and has often been said, had he played for either of the Squirm, he'd have raked in a load of caps for his country.

Best wishes Joe, for you and the family.

MON RA DOSSERS

He was unlucky to be playing at the sametime as Danny McGrain, thats why he never won caps he should have.

Also how many players can spend so much time with one club that they qualify for 2 testimonial matches??

All the best Joe. As previously said a man worthy of being labled a "Legend"

Very sad news indeed.

He is my all time hero.

When I first went to Well games I used to stand down at the wall to see Joe close up, he was the best tackler I have ever seen with his telescopic left leg.

To this day, my favourite number is 3 because of Joe

He was brilliant in every game I saw him in and I never saw him get booked. (He got booked late on in his career but I wasn't there so never saw it).

When he was at his best in the 70's he didn't get Scotland caps only because of Old Firm bias. Sandy Jardine and Danny McGrain were right backs but they played McGrain at left back rather than give Joe the cap he deserved.

After the CIS Cup Final in 2005 we came back from Hampden and were heading to the Fir Park Club and Joe was standing outside. He accepted my very drunk invitation to come in for a drink and was the perfect gentleman as he sat and listened to me talking rubbish.

In all my time in watching Motherwell, Joe Wark will always be a true Legend.

Loyal, Consistent, Professional and a cracking guy as well.

My thoughts are with you and your family, Joe

Exactly my point sir! :notworthy:

Why didn't you just say you had asked permission first rather than go off on one.

He is and always will be my Motherwell Legend. I remember him being brought back about 3 years after retiring and being the man of the match.

Best wishes Joe.

He was unlucky to be playing at the sametime as Danny McGrain, thats why he never won caps he should have.

Danny McGrain played at right back, but was capped at left-back on umpteen occasions because Sandy Jardine had the right back berth. Fine player though Sandy was, he couldn't touch McGrain as a right back. Neither of them were as good as Wark at left back. It was just a case of picking the Old Firm player before anyone else.

You don't have to be, but it's kind of traditional. How many statues of living people can you think of?

Numpty in OZ a retired sports legend who is still alive has a statue outside Suncorp Stadium in Brisbane.

Anyway it was just a thought as Joe is still alive, should be a fitting gesture to a great club servant.