2011/12 Ins & Outs Thread

LadywellToi

I'm pretty sure that McCall did mention a few weeks ago that there was budget to buy another player and bring in one or two loans.

Wasn't it Derek Weir?

It was Derek Weir.

Here

Law signing proves we got it right with Stuart McCall – Derek Weir

Jul 6 2011 by Andrew Weston, Wishaw Press

nicky-law-105326651.jpg MOTHERWELL vice-chairman Derek Weir says the ability to lure hot prospects like Nicky Law north of the border shows the club were right to target Stuart McCall as manager.

Law signed a two-year-deal last week after his contract at English League Two side Rotherham United expired.

The midfielder rejected advances from a number of clubs down south to join up at Motherwell and when he signed his contract it was the first time he had set foot in Scotland.

Despite many assuming McCall was not first choice to replace previous boss Craig Brown in January, Weir insists the former Rangers star was their top man and has been delighted how things have worked out over the past six months.

He said: “When we were doing the interviews there were a lot of people interested in becoming manager.

“One of the things that we did focus on were their connections in the lower leagues in England.

“Jim Gannon did that and Craig Brown had a lot of contacts as well.

“We spoke to a lot of people and were delighted with the applications we got and contrary to what was said in some quarters Stuart was our first choice.

“With the way the weather was at the time the application process proved more complicated logistically but he was our preferred candidate.

“The way last season finished, getting in the top six and reaching the cup final, we are delighted how things turned out.”

He continued: “There is a lot of evidence that players tend to go to a club where they are very comfortable and familiar with the management team and the set-up.

“Nicky (Law) and Stuart are well known to each other and he will know how Stuart likes to play his football and I am also sure he will realise that Motherwell were a successful club last season.

“In terms of signings players that we can develop and bring on, the lower leagues are where we focus and that is where Stuart comes into his own.”

With Steve Jennings also signed up for another year, Weir feels there will be room for one more new signing before they start to go down the route of securing loan deals, a tactic which has worked successfully at the club over the past couple of years.

However the former Head of Barclays Corporate in Scotland and Ireland believes offers could come in for one of Motherwell’s ‘marquee’ players, including Jamie Murphy who has this week been linked with Premiership cracks Bolton and QPR.

He said: “There is the possibility that someone will come in with an offer to buy one of our players and that potentially frees up money.

“But there have been no offers made although it’s still early, especially for the teams down in England.

“There were plenty of scouts who came here last season and we know there are plenty of players who attract interest.

“However we have got a lot of good players under longer contracts which is important.

I know Stuart would like one more player and is speaking to players of a similar calibre to Nicky Law.

“In terms of our full-time squad that would probably be it until we look at loans.”

and those comments came before Saunders was injured.

I'd take him back in a heartbeat. Wouldnt be an instant starter and would provide competition for Humphrey on the right while also in certain games we could move Law into a slightly more central role where I think he looks very effective.

• Like 1

I'd take him back in a heartbeat. Wouldnt be an instant starter and would provide competition for Humphrey on the right while also in certain games we could move Law into a slightly more central role where I think he looks very effective.

I don't think for a minute it's a starter - but agree with that Bop. Would even give the option of Law on the right and JoB on the left. in short I think the key word is options

Would take some of the heat of Higdon, Humphrey & Forbes

• Like 1

Would be delighted to see O'Brien back. Stick him on the left and move Law inside... might mean Lasley getting benched right enough.

Can't see it happening though since it feels like he's the 20th ex-player to be mentioned on this thread and none of them have had any substance so far.

Oh aye...I'm sure if there was anything in it, he'd talk about it on Twitter. All those Barnsley fans that pay good money to go see their club would love that kind of committed chat from their players.

Oh aye...I'm sure if there was anything in it, he'd talk about it on Twitter. All those Barnsley fans that pay good money to go see their club would love that kind of committed chat from their players.

Yeah but he didn't have to mention it in the 1st place...if there was truth to it he'd be silent

The Barnsley fans have probably sussed that he is fucking gash, and couldnt care less what he 'tweets' or where he is going on loan.