• Billy Davies
    • Eric Black
    • Terry Butcher
    • Maurice Malpas
    • Mark McGhee
    • Jim Gannon
    • Craig Brown
    • Stuart McCall

As I can only remember back to El Tel, I don't know an awful lot about the three before him. In his first season, Mark McGhee made us play some of the best attacking football in the league, the way he handled Phil O'Donnell's death should also be commended. Although Gannnon was a bit of a headcase, he did bring in some of great players ie Humphry, Coke, Ruddy, and I have to admit, before all of the stories about him came out , I liked him. Paw Broon got us out of a gutter when he came last December and we went on a 10 game unbeaten run, also under his tenure we produced the arguebly best comeback football has ever seen. Stuart McCall has taken us from strength to stregth since he has taken over. Top six finish, a convincing win over the mhankies and ofcourse our first Scottish Cup final for 20 years. So who has been your favourite of Boyle's appointments

McFadden came in under Eric Black, did he not?

Billy Davies gave him his debut, but it was under Black he really got his chance.

I'd say McGhee, brought in some quality players and enjoyed the 4-3-3 we played.

Mark McGhee for me, based on the fact he had us playing the best football I've ever seen Motherwell play in his first season and got 3rd spot. The way he left the team left a sour taste though, but Gannon came in and signed some good players.

Also, Harri Kampman was already Motherwell manager when Boyle bought the club as far as I remember. The Chapman regime appointed him I'm sure, so he should really be taken off the list. Bizarre that someone has voted for him.

Also, Harri Kampman was already Motherwell manager when Boyle bought the club as far as I remember. The Chapman regime appointed him I'm sure, so he should really be taken off the list. Bizarre that someone has voted for him.

Thanks for pointing that out, from what I heard he was never a good manager anyway

I hated doing this, due to his attitude in later times, but McGhee, at the time, had us playing fantastic football, got us third place, and in all honesty, set up the run that we've had going since, and is the only choice for me.

Terry Butcher should get an honourable mention for keeping the club alive, though, and I enjoyed having him as manager.

McGhee by a mile, some cracking football in that time on a disaster of a pitch. granted i think he was backed a fair bit cashwise by boyle how else did we afford hughes, porter and co.

Butcher in second place had a bit of sucess in getting to a cup final but the football wasn't the greatest to watch.

If we got Davies now and gave him the amount of money he got back then i am sure he would have been a success. problem was he had no contacts so he bought his family :wallbash:

Worst out the bunch is easy - Mo Malpas. obvious choice but never a manager.

• Like 1

McGhee by a mile, some cracking football in that time on a disaster of a pitch. granted i think he was backed a fair bit cashwise by boyle how else did we afford hughes, porter and co.

Butcher in second place had a bit of sucess in getting to a cup final but the football wasn't the greatest to watch.

If we got Davies now and gave him the amount of money he got back then i am sure he would have been a success. problem was he had no contacts so he bought his family :wallbash:

Worst out the bunch is easy - Mo Malpas. obvious choice but never a manager.

Don't think I've ever been as happy when a manager resigned as I was when I heard Malpas left

You should judge managers like players, over multiple seasons and on achievements.

McGhee did a good job but his really great spell amounted to no more than half a season. Obviously things came undone slightly with the death of Phil O'Donnell but it never came right again for McGhee at the club.

I don't remember any one pre McLean but our best manager after him was Terry Butcher. He worked marvels at the club. People will point to us escaping relegation on a technicality but even so there was some great football played, both the OF defeated and the destruction of Hearts was as good as anything played under McGhee.

Butcher, unlike McGhee, had literally no money to bring in name players and yet with his limited squad he managed a Scottish Cup semi final against Rangers were we played them off the pitch and some how lost and two League Cup semi finals, a heart breaking defeat to Celtic and the great victory over Hearts in what was and probably will always be the best 120th minute of a match ever.

Butcher also got us more Top Six finishes than any other manager in that time and it should be noted that he left before he was pushed when it was obvious he had taken us as far as he could, never did the dirty on us and is still a top guy.

For me he is by some distance the best of Boyles appointments.

• Like 2