Accies Season Tickets

carlukemurray

I was just reading in the Record that Accies season tickets are an amazing £130 and they come with two season tickets for under 10's.

Amazing value for money (well under a tenner a game), I know they have dropped a division so I don't know what they were previously.

Despite that I can't see them increasing their gates. You never know though.

I still think that Motherwell's season tickets are priced too high

They did, however, scrap the student ticket entirely.

I think all football is heinously overpriced, but relatively, Motherwell do a good job in terms of price.

Compare the number of home games, per pound, to the price of a cinema ticket every home game Saturday. They will come up very similar, and I would think, perhaps, that the season ticket at Fir Park is slightly cheaper for a day out. (East Stand, clearly)

I was just reading in the Record that Accies season tickets are an amazing £130 and they come with two season tickets for under 10's.

Amazing value for money (well under a tenner a game), I know they have dropped a division so I don't know what they were previously.

Despite that I can't see them increasing their gates. You never know though.

I still think that Motherwell's season tickets are priced too high

If someone paid me to go and watch the Accies play in the First Division i still wouldn't call it value for money.

Compare the number of home games, per pound, to the price of a cinema ticket every home game Saturday. They will come up very similar, and I would think, perhaps, that the season ticket at Fir Park is slightly cheaper for a day out. (East Stand, clearly)

I will do.

Cinema ticket: £7.50 (VUE Hamilton)

20 games (19 home games and 1 cup game) @ £280 for an East Stand season ticket: £14/game (a saving of, GASP, £4 on the door price)

And for around half the price you get facilities that appear to be from the year 3000 when compared to Fir Park. If you think your season ticket is good value then you need your head checked.

£9 a game gives £180 for a season. That's more reasonable for an SPL ticket.

However £7 a game for Accies is an excellent deal, and a fine reward for the loyal supporters who buy season tickets every season. I hope it proves that cheaper prices and not treating your supporters like cattle means more supporters going to games.

I get in for hee-haw at NDP and I can safely say that if I was an Accies fan I wouldnt have enjoyed a single match I went to last season. Quite looking forward to watching them in the 1st division next season when I cannae make the 'well game for whatever reason.

Aye. I reckon Accies will do pretty well next year. They appear to have another group of youngsters coming through now that Reid has given up on signing total diddies from down south. Probably not get promoted, but improve steadily hopefully.

I will do.

Cinema ticket: £7.50 (VUE Hamilton)

20 games (19 home games and 1 cup game) @ £280 for an East Stand season ticket: £14/game (a saving of, GASP, £4 on the door price)

And for around half the price you get facilities that appear to be from the year 3000 when compared to Fir Park. If you think your season ticket is good value then you need your head checked.

£9 a game gives £180 for a season. That's more reasonable for an SPL ticket.

However £7 a game for Accies is an excellent deal, and a fine reward for the loyal supporters who buy season tickets every season. I hope it proves that cheaper prices and not treating your supporters like cattle means more supporters going to games.

For me (East Stand = £270), with an under-17 (£70) and an under-13 (free), the 20 games work out at £17 per game, which will be something similar to getting the 3 of us into the Cineworld in Falkirk. I'd MUCH rather be at Fir Park though. And if you think the catering at FP is pricey, the cinema is on another planet !

Taking a slightly different look at the season ticket;

£300 for two kids and an adult for teh Cooper equates to £15 per match based on your 20games per season. Taking those same two kids to a Saturday mid-afternoon film would cost £5.55 per child and £7.50 for the adult resulting in a total price of £18.60 for your Saturday afternoon viewing, multiplied by 20 is £372 for your seaosn of entertainment.

If you are a father of 2 (actually 3 but the fitba' isnae a lassies game) the season ticket on offer this season is most definitely value for money, and thats before you factor in the possible savings to be had through the various discounts on offer in conjunction with the season ticket.

Accies are in a totally different situation to us, hence the ultra-low cost of the season book.

My mate in work is a Falkirk fan and is paying £320 for his book this season with no additionals on it, granted its a good seat but that is a rip off.

And if you think the catering at FP is pricey, the cinema is on another planet !

I've always taken stuff in with me, they never stop you (from my experiences anyway).

Prices at all grounds are ridiculous anyway. How much is a pie? £2? How much is one at your local (non-greggs) bakers? £1? Poor stuff.

Accies are in a totally different situation to us, hence the ultra-low cost of the season book.

They aren't really. They will be paying some players near-SPL wages. Its clearly a gamble to see if it will make or lose money over the season. Good luck to them.

My mate in work is a Falkirk fan and is paying £320 for his book this season with no additionals on it, granted its a good seat but that is a rip off.

Theres supporting your team and stupidity. Thats stupidity. £320 for a season of 1st division football? :blink:

Perhaps a wider question to ST holders. Why do you do it? I stopped when I had to pay adult (as opposed to student) ST prices because I'd rather pick and choose games over a season rather than shell out £300+. Plus half a dozen are on the TV anyway.

Maybe its just me, I can't see the financial sense to go to SPL games anymore. £22 plus other costs (booze etc.) is simply too much. Guaranteed I'm not alone in thinking it.

And anyone who brings out the "oh but I pure support ma team cuz ahm better than you" or "well we dont need James Hunts like you anyway" answers can go sit on a cactus.

Summary: why do you go the football anymore when its so expensive? "Characters" trying to be hilarious need not apply.

• Like 1

Perhaps a wider question to ST holders. Why do you do it? I stopped when I had to pay adult (as opposed to student) ST prices because I'd rather pick and choose games over a season rather than shell out £300+. Plus half a dozen are on the TV anyway.

Maybe its just me, I can't see the financial sense to go to SPL games anymore. £22 plus other costs (booze etc.) is simply too much. Guaranteed I'm not alone in thinking it.

And anyone who brings out the "oh but I pure support ma team cuz ahm better than you" or "well we dont need James Hunts like you anyway" answers can go sit on a cactus.

I can only agree with this. Granted, I'm in a bit of a different situation because I live in Dundee, but I couldn't see myself getting a season ticket. For the saving you get, it just doesn't seem worthwhile to me. I've not got weans, so a discount on their tickets means nothing to me, I've just stopped being a student and currently earn marginally more than I would if I signed on. Theres just no incentive for me to get one at all, even if I was back in Lanarkshire, I'd still be picking and choosing games. Miss two or three shite games and I get my money back from the savings I'd get from a season book.

Thanks for all the replies to this post.

I still go to football because I love it; playing 5's and 7's, watching it on TV and trips to Fir Park and elsewhere. When there is good game, or a special moment in a game (skill, tackle, goal, passing move) I get a buzz.

I enjoy going to Fir Park with my mates but we don't have season tickets for various reasons, the two main ones being;

1. They are simply too expensive for the football on offer

2. Other commitments - kids, work (one mate is a self-employed gardener so has to take work when he gets it and when the weather allows), mortgages, rising costs in food etc etc - so we can't commit to going to every home game

There is absolutely no problem in getting a ticket for any Motherwell game i want to go to - home or away. Last season I probably went to 10 games; 8 at home and two away including the cup final.

If I could get a season ticket for £200 I would go for it, even if I'm not going to go for every game. It is affordable and I think it would represent value for money at Fir Park.

As it is, it is closer to £300. That initial splash is just too much in my opinion.

Motherwell probably have the prices just about right for their current loyal fanbase. They know what they will get away with.

However in terms of attracting new season ticket holders, I don't know how many they will get.

If I was an Accies fan, I'd be going for the £130 option. Simply because it is value for money even if you go to around 505 of the games.

Summary: why do you go the football anymore when its so expensive? "Characters" trying to be hilarious need not apply.

I'll respond to the highlighted line first as its a great point Albi and one I've mentioned before. The leap from an juvenile season ticket to a full price one is absolutely huge, particularly if you don't have the relative cushion of the student ticket for a couple of years in between the juvi and adult tickets.

I think that has to be something we look at as a club. There's clearly a lot of work going on to boost the juvenile numbers but it would be something of a waste if in a few years time they may be lost if they are suddenly faced with paying a couple of hundred pounds extra on what is a good value juvenile ticket.

As for the rest of question the simple answer is that the home games are ring-fenced for me and therefore a season ticket makes most sense. Over the last 10-15 years the home and away attendance that was once just taken for granted has long gone, the weekly sessions in the pub pre-and post game have become a very occasional exception, programmes purchased home and away are no more but as long as I can afford it I'll aim to get my season ticket to ensure going to the home games is that little bit easier.

I possibly miss one or two home games a season which might reduce the overall value to the point that I might not save much if anything but I buy with the intention that I'll be there if I can so I get my season ticket so I've got my seat next to friends and acquaintances built up over the years, don't have to worry about trawling up to FP to get tickets for bog-standard OF games and have a bit more reassurance when it comes to the odd Cup Final.

I'll respond to the highlighted line first as its a great point Albi and one I've mentioned before. The leap from an juvenile season ticket to a full price one is absolutely huge, particularly if you don't have the relative cushion of the student ticket for a couple of years in between the juvi and adult tickets.

I think that has to be something we look at as a club. There's clearly a lot of work going on to boost the juvenile numbers but it would be something of a waste if in a few years time they may be lost if they are suddenly faced with paying a couple of hundred pounds extra on what is a good value juvenile ticket.

As for the rest of question the simple answer is that the home games are ring-fenced for me and therefore a season ticket makes most sense. Over the last 10-15 years the home and away attendance that was once just taken for granted has long gone, the weekly sessions in the pub pre-and post game have become a very occasional exception, programmes purchased home and away are no more but as long as I can afford it I'll aim to get my season ticket to ensure going to the home games is that little bit easier.

I possibly miss one or two home games a season which might reduce the overall value to the point that I might not save much if anything but I buy with the intention that I'll be there if I can so I get my season ticket so I've got my seat next to friends and acquaintances built up over the years, don't have to worry about trawling up to FP to get tickets for bog-standard OF games and have a bit more reassurance when it comes to the odd Cup Final.

This is a great post Andy, raises plenty of good points and is full of common sense

because being a motherwell fan is a 52 weeks a year thing for me and i don't think paying less than 6 quid a week is a lot when i consider the enjoyment i get out of supporting mfc.

it's makes perfect sense to me that if i want a club to support then i have to put my hand in my pocket.

because being a motherwell fan is a 52 weeks a year thing for me and i don't think paying less than 6 quid a week is a lot when i consider the enjoyment i get out of supporting mfc.

it's makes perfect sense to me that if i want a club to support then i have to put my hand in my pocket.

Terrible reason. You can support a team without spending money. Stop trying to appear holier than thou by proxy.

The gulf in pricing between juveniles and adults is where a significant chunk of the support is lost. Particularly when you are at an age when there far more ways to spend a Saturday than go to Fir Park.

And because chances are going from youth/student to adult means you are just starting to work (or not working at all) and you arent exactly flush with cash at that point therefore it becomes a luxury and you get out of the habit. Simples.

Terrible reason. You can support a team without spending money. Stop trying to appear holier than thou by proxy.

And because chances are going from youth/student to adult means you are just starting to work (or not working at all) and you arent exactly flush with cash at that point therefore it becomes a luxury and you get out of the habit. Simples.

Forby the lack of cash, with most jobs, Saturday becomes a rather more difficult proposition.

some people have to spend money or we wouldn't have a club. simples.

Of course people need to spend money to generate a club.

I think what a lot of people are trying to highlight here are there are many supporters that could be season ticket holders, but there are also many reasons why they are not.

Finding the reasons why they are not and suggesting solutions that might turn more people into season ticket holders is something we are interested in. I imagine the club would be too.

Looking at it from the clubs perspective; they know to within a certain number, how many season tickets they will sell every season at the current prices. If they dropped prices, they would need to ensure they reached the same level of income (minimum) than they currently do just now. Or it just wouldn't be worth it.

I suspect this will be a debate that the club are extremely interested in over the next couple of seasons as they make the progression to a community owned club.

The fairest point raised so far is the jump in price from juvenile to adult.

The club need to look at supporter retention and development, at all levels.

some people have to spend money or we wouldn't have a club. simples.

Going back to my original point, why do you spend your money on it? If its because you enjoy it then at what point would you decide to stop?

That probably brings up a bigger point. As more and more clubs start to bring out the lame "buisness argument" excuse to justify raising prices and other things like moving season ticket holders for big games then shouldn't clubs start to act like buisnesses towards their customers (i.e. the supporter)?

Any buisness that relies on loyalty to continue as a going concern is doomed to failure. Football clubs need to start acting like buisnesses to survive and that means advertising your product, making sure the customer (supporter) has an enjoyable experience and pricing it competitively. And just saying, "oh if you come along we will have more money to invest in players and the team will get better", is utter stupidity.

Would you accept it if your local cinema offered you sub-standard facilities but said "if you keep coming it will get better eventually"? No, of course not.

So why do football clubs get away with it?

(This isn't a pop at just Motherwell, it's a pop at just about every club in the UK to be honest)

Going back to my original point, why do you spend your money on it? If its because you enjoy it then at what point would you decide to stop?

That probably brings up a bigger point. As more and more clubs start to bring out the lame "buisness argument" excuse to justify raising prices and other things like moving season ticket holders for big games then shouldn't clubs start to act like buisnesses towards their customers (i.e. the supporter)?

Any buisness that relies on loyalty to continue as a going concern is doomed to failure. Football clubs need to start acting like buisnesses to survive and that means advertising your product, making sure the customer (supporter) has an enjoyable experience and pricing it competitively. And just saying, "oh if you come along we will have more money to invest in players and the team will get better", is utter stupidity.

Would you accept it if your local cinema offered you sub-standard facilities but said "if you keep coming it will get better eventually"? No, of course not.

So why do football clubs get away with it?

(This isn't a pop at just Motherwell, it's a pop at just about every club in the UK to be honest)

you can only expect clubs to act like proper businesses if fans begin to act like proper consumers.

i might choose to see a movie at the imax rather than the vue in hamilton because it has better facilities. i'm not going to choose to go and watch rangers or celtic because they have better facilities and players.

the club only have a limited amount of money would anyone really prefer they focussed on match day experience rather than spending as much as possible on youth development and putting a competitive team on the park?

you can only expect clubs to act like proper businesses if fans begin to act like proper consumers.

i might choose to see a movie at the imax rather than the vue in hamilton because it has better facilities. i'm not going to choose to go and watch rangers or celtic because they have better facilities and players.

the club only have a limited amount of money would anyone really prefer they focussed on match day experience rather than spending as much as possible on youth development and putting a competitive team on the park?

I see your point, but I think clubs are businesses when it suits.

Only at football clubs would people put up with the poor product, and at times shocking facilities and conditions, yet still consistently pay top prices.

If their was pish running down the stairs in the cinema, and there were only mediocre films, with mediocre actors, would people pay to go?

It's not Motherwells fault or problem, it's football, particularly in Scotland (and England to an extent).

There's so many reasons not to go, and only a handful that keep us going.

I want to keep on going to Motherwell games, because I do enjoy it, often the game itself is pish, but I still enjoy things about it, and then there's the great moments you wouldn't want to miss!

I do sometimes find myself questioning paying £20 to go and watch some of the less glamorous games, in bad weather when there's nothing at stake.

So many issues, the sfa, spl, clubs need to think of the fans! There's definitely a case for summer football, prices should be lower, tv can't dictate scheduling....

I see your point, but I think clubs are businesses when it suits.

Only at football clubs would people put up with the poor product, and at times shocking facilities and conditions, yet still consistently pay top prices.

If their was pish running down the stairs in the cinema, and there were only mediocre films, with mediocre actors, would people pay to go?

It's not Motherwells fault or problem, it's football, particularly in Scotland (and England to an extent).

There's so many reasons not to go, and only a handful that keep us going.

I want to keep on going to Motherwell games, because I do enjoy it, often the game itself is pish, but I still enjoy things about it, and then there's the great moments you wouldn't want to miss!

I do sometimes find myself questioning paying £20 to go and watch some of the less glamorous games, in bad weather when there's nothing at stake.

So many issues, the sfa, spl, clubs need to think of the fans! There's definitely a case for summer football, prices should be lower, tv can't dictate scheduling....

Football has lost its attraction nowadays the product on display is nothing short of woeful and the atmosphere is non existant. Even the scottish cup final failed to generate an atmosphere in the current climate £20 is better spent elsewhere.

Why pay $20 to watch a game v the old firm when it is on television and u can go to the pub with said £20 and enjoy a few beers instead, you cant even say that its better being at the game because frankly it is most definetly not.

My ticket for POD has gone up to £370 for this season from £333 last season (£10 discount this year versus 10% discount last year). I think the £37 increase was way way too high (no doubt to help pay for the free kids tickets for the Wellevate scheme) and the price is too steep for the SPL but I choose to sit in the POD stand for the better view and if it costs me more then so be it, I can't grumble as I know that if I want a cheaper ticket I only have to change where I choose to sit.

The real value of our tickets probably won't be known until May 2012 when we see how the season has panned out....