Who Should Have Been Capped?

Well Up For It!

Steven Pearson - Should have been capped while at Motherwell. Exciting talent back then.

Pearson was capped while at Motherwell.

Brian Martin should have won more caps. At big Buffs peak Dave McPherson was regularly picked for Scotland!

Phil O'Donnell only won 1 cap which hardly reflected his ability.

Exactly the 2 and I was thinking Danny McGrain when I made the post but always thought of him as a right back but you have explained it.

In the 70s, and up until wing-backs (90s maybe?), having a full back who kicked with the 'other foot' was an advantage, as a lot of the job description was to kick the ball out of the park. I cannot remember seeing McGrain play for Celtic-.....wasn't allowed to go to OF games at the time...., but for Scotland, McGrain was excellent.

When I opened this thread up, I thought McKinnon hadn't been capped. And if the opposition was the international equivalent of the OF, then, wee Doogie should certainly have been capped.....

Cheers

SD

I'd imagine Danny McGrain and Sandy Jardine featured. I can't remember others but I do recall Scotland being so well off for right backs that Danny McGrain played left back. I might be wrong on that one though...

Danny McGrain was played at left back to accommodate Sandy Jardine. A fucking travesty in my opinion but it kept both halves of the bigot divide happy. McGrain was a better right back than Jardine and Wark was a better left back than either of them. Just another example of how the OF have fucked up this country.

I believe that a lot of the refusal to cap Joe Wark was because he played for Motherwell, umpteen Scotland bosses systematically ignored players at Fir Park. Erich Schaedler and John Brownlie of Hibs were both capped at full back at a time when Wark was at his peak.

In a strange twist to the usual, if he'd played with the OF he'd have been capped, moan, I'm sure I remember reading that Tommy McLean won all his caps with Kilmarnock and never got another cap after he joined Rangers.

Allan Wyllie

Keith MacRae

Stewart Rennie

Charlie Aitken

Joe Wark

Vic Davidson

Bobby Roberts

Pat Delaney

MacRae was on the brink of a full cap when he got injured playing for the Scottish League, broke his wrist after diving at the feet of the striker after Jardine and McGrain had fucked up if memory serves. When he came back he was out of the picture and his career at Maine Road took a nosedive shortly after that.

Stewart Rennie would just have been another Scottish goalkeeper for the English to laugh at, I still have nightmares about that semi-final agaunst Airdrie.

Dixie Deans

Vic Davidson

Bobby Graham

I have never understood why Dixie won so few caps, I thought when he signed fo Celtic his cap career would take off, but eh only won two and they were at the tail end of his Celtic career. He seemed to perform even better on the big stage, two hat tricks in separate Cup Finals is an astonishing record at any level.

I think Davidson and Graham both suffered through the fact that Scotland in the mid 1970's had a surfeit of good midfielders. Souness, Rioch, Gemmill, Hutchison, Hartford, to name a few. Plus if any of them dropped out the tendency was to nip along to Ibrox and Parkhead for replacements. Hence the solitary caps for Alex MacDonald and Ronnie Glavin.