U20 Fixtures

well_army

• 2 weeks later...

Missed the 1st 15-20 mins of match tonight, Well were down 0-2 by this time and struggled badly for rest of half. 2or 3 boys debuting from the u/17's and imho the team took time to gel.

1-3 at h/t, Well goal from Asghar.

2nd half much better and steadier performance. Saunders came on for 1st run in a while and scored a good consolation 2nd goal at the death. Higgins also came on for his 1st appearance after a long injury as well.

Young striker Dale Shirkie suffered what appeared a bad injury after he really clattered into the advertising boards chasing the ball.

Taken to hospital by ambulance with head, neck and side/ back injuries.

Best wishes to him and fingers crossed not as serious as looked.

One positive from it was Stephen Saunders getting 35 mins in the second half (and the 2nd goal).

A big negative was a serious head injury to the young Motherwell No 9 who collided head first with a hoarding behind the goals at the Cooper end. Medics worked on him for about 15mins before they could get him onto a stretcher and into an ambulance. Looked serious and I hope the young lad is ok.

3-0 down we pulled a goal back before half time. Second half we dominated but could only score with a minute to go through Saunders and too late to snatch a draw. VERY young team plus Omar Daley. Saunders shored up the defence when he came on and hopefully its a step to his full recovery

Young striker Dale Shirkie suffered what appeared a bad injury after he really clattered into the advertising boards chasing the ball.

Taken to hospital by ambulance with head, neck and side/ back injuries.

Best wishes to him and fingers crossed not as serious as looked.

Lad himself has just tweeted along lines that: he'll be fine although very sore

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

4 of us went through last night. Newtongrange have a cracking wee setup...but i'm just biased by the fact ye could walk to the social club at half time for a quick half instead of standing in the freezing cauld!

Hibs had plenty chances but couldn't find the net. McHugh took his three goals well and Watt's was a total fluke but a cracker none-the-less! Saunders had a decent enough 90, Devlin was okay but didn't get forward enough to support Watt/McCafferty who were switching wings every so often. Angol was reasonable enough although from what i've seen he's a better winger than a full back. Leitch had a good few paces and Ashgar was okay, although compared to the Hibs midfield they were very weak. Wasn't really impressed with the boy Shirkie and Erwin came on and had a couple good touches but his decision making was poor.

Still a good win though for the Young Motherwell!

Does anyone know when the next U20s home game will be? Had a look at the fixtures there. I see we were meant to be playing St Mirren yesterday. Obviously that didn't happen, any idea of when it'll be rescheduled for?

Next home game is V ICT on 3/3/13 with a 1pm ko @ Fir Park. (Game might be at new Broomfield)

Next game is V Killie away on 28/2/13 7pm ko should be at Rugby Park TBC.

St Mirren game re-arranged for 28/3/13 with 7pm ko @ Fir Park (Game might be at new Broomfield)

U/20's lost 4-2 away to Kilmarnock tonight.

Have to apologise for 2nd hand report as I couldn't make game but was given a quick run down of the match from a mate.

Fairly even 1st half with couple of good saves by Stewart and the pairing of Saunders & Murray coping quite comfortably with Kris Boyd.

Just on H/T Saunders red carded for denying goal scoring opportunity.

H/ T 0-0

Killie scored early on in 2nd half before Erwin and Watt put Well ahead.

The defence and midfield then had a poor 20-25 mins that saw Killie score 3.

My source tells me Ross Stewart and Paul MCafferty were Well's best players on the night.

• 3 weeks later...

Fairly lucky 0-0 draw with DAFC at Fir PArk tonight.

Put simply M'well youngsters insisted on giving the ball away far too easily and allowing an ordinary Pars team to control most of the game.

Several players were poor and it appears the pressure of being in a team that struggles week in week out is affecting their performance.

Some good defending and a couple of good saves by Stewart, aided by some poor finishing ensured the game finished goalless.

In an attacking sense 'Well offered very little, as the ball very rarely arrived at the strikers and deliveries from set pieces were poor.

Sorry to sound negative but it's been a long season for all concerned !

What's yer thoughts on JJ, Noah? Seems like a struggle since he arrived.

Think that's putting it mildly.

He was appointed after the boys started back so a wee bit of leeway was rightly given to him.

However there does seem to be an overall lack of direction with the U/20's.

I think the main problem is he is just too nice a guy and as a result maybe lacks a wee bit of respect from the boys.

Having said that Kenny Black is more often than not in the dugout as well, and he does most of the shouting.

From what I see and hear the younger boys have had a far easier introduction to pro football under JJ than previous squads

under C McCart or G Young.