Out Of Contract?

rab_mackinnon

Although another good season and he really does need to move on for the sake of his own career.

I don't see there being a great demand for McCall as a manager down south. His record in England was mediocre and once you have 'failed' down there you don't often get a second chance as what ever you do in the rest of your career you are considered 'not good enough for England'.

If McCall moves on I think it will be to a bigger Scottish club - Aberdeen, Hearts or perhaps even Rangers.

I don't see there being a great demand for McCall as a manager down south. His record in England was mediocre and once you have 'failed' down there you don't often get a second chance as what ever you do in the rest of your career you are considered 'not good enough for England'.

If McCall moves on I think it will be to a bigger Scottish club - Aberdeen, Hearts or perhaps even Rangers.

I dunno like, Paul Jewell is still drawing a wage.. :lol:

I think you're right on the Rangers shout though. I'd be very surprised if they aren't at least considering it, McCoist is absolutely brutal.

AVB.

There is always a second chance at most levels. Remember Malpas got a managerial job after Motherwell and McGhee landed a new role at Bristol after his garbage tenure in Aberdeen.

The main point is a Cup Final, a sixth place finish, a third place finish, experience in Europa League and Champions League and currently top of the league.....and McCall doesn't deserve a chance at say a League 1 or Championship Club? Course he does.

Derek McInnes. I'll say no more.

The main point is a Cup Final, a sixth place finish, a third place finish, experience in Europa League and Champions League and currently top of the league.....and McCall doesn't deserve a chance at say a League 1 or Championship Club? Course he does.

Derek McInnes. I'll say no more.

Exactly. Billy Reid almost became Swansea manager.

Billy Reid.

I think we should keep hold of all the players and if they don't want to extend their contracts let their contracts run down. If we can manage to finish second (because we all now know who is going to win the league !) we can attract a better standard of replacement than if we sell in January and slip down the table.

I thought this aswell, but more to do with the paper running this type of story rather than what McCall has said. Top of the league and this is the best/only story they can come up with about us?

First thing I thought of, well seeing we're 4 points clear of ra Shellic with a game coming up against them.

Murphy, hateley, humphrey, law and randolph are all certs to leave for free. There is no chance of any of them signing a new deal. The club will be desperate to sell hutchy as well.

The only positive is that we will have a decent amount of room in our budget to bring in players. All those guys are on a good wage so its an opportunity to mix quality and depth. Hopefully mccall and the board are making plans already.

Ah well might as well chuck the towel in now then eh?

I mean if they are certs to leave then we're fucked, presumably they have indicated this and there are quotes somewhere to substantiate this!

don't panic.jpg

:dash2:" class="bbc_emoticon">

I think we should keep hold of all the players and if they don't want to extend their contracts let their contracts run down. If we can manage to finish second (because we all now know who is going to win the league !) we can attract a better standard of replacement than if we sell in January and slip down the table.

Agree with this! Until the SPL 11 sort out the distribution of tv money, there is a massive pot available for finishing second. If the clubs don't look to rail road Celtic, and there is a chance we could nab that second spot, then there is no sense in selling the crown jewels in January for knock down prices.

Ah well might as well chuck the towel in now then eh?

not at all. it's an opportunity to bring in some fresh faces, we'll be in a strong position next summer when it comes to the free agent market.

there haven't been any quotes about players leaving but common sense says they will. when was the last time we extended the contract of anyone who had decent options down south? more money and a new challenge will be too big a temptation.

Said it before but, for a selling club that openly admits we have to sell a player a year, our transfer 'policy' is an absolute shambles

We are an awful selling club. When money is flying left and right for the last 20 years we have managed to sell two players for over a million.

What about Alan Pardew?

I think Murphy, Randolph and Law will all be goners. Randolph is a top class goalkeeper and as McCall said it's amazing there have been no concrete bids yet. I reckon Law could cut it at Championship level easily and for Murphy, personally I think he's a good Motherwell player but I think this is his probably his level, but there will be plenty of teams willing to take a punt on him if it's for free or for a nominal fee of compensation.

Then I'd say Hateley, Humphrey and Higdon are debatable. If Higdon continues his current form I'm sure there will be plenty of pursuers but part of me thinks we have an outside chance of keeping him. Humphrey's raw pace gets him far, but you wonder if visiting scouts would be put off by other flaws in his game. Hateley will probably be a goner too, but part of me thinks we have an outside chance of keeping him.

Ramsden is one who is still up for debate. It's obviously too early to form an impression of him, but he was released by a League Two side last season, so there may not be a bigger clubs sniffing unless his form is tremendous. Then the rest - Saunders, McHugh, Daley and Page- I reckon it's whether we want to offer them new deals or not. If Daley is offered a new deal, there's definitely a bit of "jobs for the boys" going on.

all these guys have had some relative success early in their careers in england

I dunno like, Paul Jewell is still drawing a wage..

pauyl jewell got bradford into the epl and kept them up and took wigan from league one to the epl, kept them up for two years and reached a cup final.

AVB.

seriously?

McLeish.

had plenty of success before things went tits during his last 15 months in brum.

Ian Holloway.

Gary Megson. :doh:

holloway got a promotion with qpr and megson got wba to the epl twice.

What about Alan Pardew?

promotions with reading and west ham and an fa cup final.

mccall's record in england is terrible compared to these guys. bradford were massive faves for promotion and ended up mid table in league 2.

You know, when you think about it, having as many out of contract players may turn out to be a master stroke by the club.

We all know that the TV deal seems to be settled for this season, although the money has not come through yet. There are stories out there about X amount being available in the future if Rangers get back in, and Y amount if they are still stuck playing low level stuff.

If reorganisation does not happen, and if it turns out that TV deals really are under threat without the great unwashed, having half the team out of contract will not be the worst thing in the world. Sure, we won't be able to get value for them, but we also won't be left with £28k of wages per week when we only get x% of that in the door.

TV deals are all scare stories, and so far the shit has not hit the fan. Long may it continue. A softly softly approach however may see us through.

Express claims we're on the case re extending McCall's contract… distinct lack of direct quotes, mind you.

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/347092

MOTHERWELL are set to open contract talks with Stuart McCall in a bid to keep their table-topping boss at Fir Park beyond the end of the season.

McCall, above, has worked wonders in the last year-and-a-half with the Steelmen, taking them to the top of the SPL and also into the Champions League, and his current deal is due to expire in the summer.

Fir Park chief executive Leeann Dempster plans to hold talks with McCall when she returns from holiday.

The Well board are keen to tie up the former Scotland international, who is sure to be in demand with clubs on both sides of the border if he lets his contract expire.

The Lanarkshire outfit also believe that securing McCall on a new deal could be vital in keeping their current squad together.

The likes of Darren Randolph, Jamie Murphy, Tom Hateley, Michael Higdon and Nicky Law are thought to be more likely to extend their own deals if they know McCall is remaining at the club.

McCall, meanwhile, hasn’t closed the door on bringing James McFadden back to the club.

The former Scotland star is training with Sunderland but if he isn’t offered a deal by Martin O’Neill then the Fir Park option would remain open.

McFadden trained with Motherwell over the summer and turned down an offer from his former club but would prefer to re-sign for the Steelmen than move to Aberdeen.

Dons boss Craig Brown has declared his interest in the player but won’t be given any more money by his board as he has already overspent this summer.

Express claims we're on the case re extending McCall's contract… distinct lack of direct quotes, mind you.

http://www.express.c...sts/view/347092

Well I have heard something rather different today. The SFA have unofficially asked McCall if he would be interested in the Scotland job. Apparently Leveins been told thats if he doesn't win in Wales hes gone one way or another.

I'm not tellin this as fact, although it has came from a pretty reliable source.