Mccall

Squirrelhumper

He played in England though, so who knows what contacts he has from that time....

I don't see how anyone can definitively state that he has no knowledge of the English leagues, the same way that it's impossible to state that he has a wealth of knowledge of them!

• Like 1

he has had no reason professionally to study it. alloa are almost exclusively part time scottish players with a few young scottish loans thrown in.

considering the amount of effort that is put into managing a part time club i have my doubts whether he was spending much time identifying players he is never going to sign or line up against.

It's not always to do with though is it?

Management is also about having contacts and trust in contacts that a player is decent (Brown trusting Dailly on Randolph). Hartley has played in England and has also played for Celtic and Scotland and is bound to have an array of contacts down south. Now I admit it is not an exact science and there is a huge element of luck involved also but the assumption that he knows little about the English leagues may well be wide of the mark. It's a reason that football clubs hold interviews so that they can find these things out and I am sure that it will be one of the things we will be looking for and if he does know very little then he will not get the job.

If McCall goes then I will have full trust in the board to find an able replacement because they do have a pretty decent track record.

He played in England though, so who knows what contacts he has from that time....

I don't see how anyone can definitively state that he has no knowledge of the English leagues, the same way that it's impossible to state that he has a wealth of knowledge of them!

unless he can be in two places at once he's not been down watching english games whilst alloa have been playing on saturdays or playing/training on midweek nights.

it would be odd if as well as running alloa, scouting their opposition and keeping an eye on potential signings he has also been keeping close tabs on leagues which have no relevance to his current job. it would also be odd if agents were in regular contact with him considering that he has no money to sign full time players.

McCall gets around £150k pa as Well manager. There was an article in the paper when Brown left us showing what we paid, what Aberdeen paid a manager (£200k - £250k) and Hearts were paying for Sergio (£250k +)

My hope is that McCall being on the shortlist at Brammall Lane is not exclusively because of his success at Fir Park but that clubs know that considering a relatively popular former player often goes down well with a support.

I'm hoping that ultimately they share the arrogance of some of their supporters and deem his success in the SPL to be too wee and insignificant to warrant a shot at their "big" club.

As for McCall I did have some reservations that he would extend his contract. With the exception of winning a trophy he is pretty much at the ceiling of what most managers would hope to achieve at a non-Old Firm club. And with a budget cut to come, several of his players looking to move on for greater rewards or a fresh challenge, really, if he was going to go out with his reputation at its peak then this close season is surely going to be that optimum time.

But he signed the new contract, he says he's happy so fingers crossed that between the new package he has signed up to allied to the environment he clearly enjoys working in, that will be enough to persuade him to hang around a while longer.

If it comes to it I wouldn't dismiss the likes of Johnston at QOtS, Hartley or even perhaps Colin Cameron. Clearly managers have to start somewhere and there is plenty evidence of guys who have cut their teeth in the Scottish lower divisions who have gone on to make a decent fist of it in management. Our own Tommy McLean for example had a season at Morton before taking over at Fir Park, albeit we were in the First Division ourselves at that point.

There is a concern that neither of Johnston or Hartley have as yet had their managerial skills tested in any period of adversity but then I suppose neither had McLean at the point he came to Motherwell.

But that's perhaps a debate for another day. Just now I'm hoping that Sheffield Utd make an appointment, that isn't McCall, as quickly as possible so that we can get on with our preparations for next season without fretting about who is going to be in charge.

If it comes to it I wouldn't dismiss the likes of Johnston at QOtS, Hartley or even perhaps Colin Cameron. Clearly managers have to start somewhere and there is plenty evidence of guys who have cut their teeth in the Scottish lower divisions who have gone on to make a decent fist of it in management. Our own Tommy McLean for example had a season at Morton before taking over at Fir Park, albeit we were in the First Division ourselves at that point.

any examples in the past 25 years?

sfl play offs to europa league is definitely an unprecedented jump but i'm struggling to think of anyone going from part time football to a top six team without any experience coaching full time players.

sfl play offs to europa league is definitely an unprecedented jump but i'm struggling to think of anyone going from part time football to a top six team without any experience coaching full time players.

bear in mind QOS are full time, although personally I think it would be a big risk giving Johnstone the gig after one season with the only full time team in the 2nd division, so you would expect them to skoosh it.

premiership managers dont earn the same as the top paid players so why would SPL managers?

4. Sir Alex Ferguson – Manchester United (£7.6m)

5. Arsene Wenger – Arsenal (£7.5m, pictured right)

13. Andre Villas-Boas – Tottenham (£3.6m)

14. Harry Redknapp – QPR (£3.2m)

16. David Moyes – Everton (£2.9m)

29. Martin O’Neill – Sunderland (£2m)

30. Roy Hodgson – England (£2m)

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2239727/Top-30-best-paid-football-managers-world--Sir-Alex-Ferguson-England-boss-Roy-Hodgson-Jose-Mourinho-tops-list.html#ixzz2U1fDCcc9

Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

i think on the whole they do. there might be a couple of stars at each club making more than the manager but i don't think it's common.

I've got a feeling that you would find something to moan about whoever we appoint as manager (if the vacancy arises) and whoever we sign this season.

• Like 1

i think on the whole they do. there might be a couple of stars at each club making more than the manager but i don't think it's common.

so when you said top paid players you actually meant the average paid players? there are plenty players in the EPL outwith the top 4 earning more than 100 grand a week

Craig Levein? Cowden --> Hearts is a similar jump as from Alloa to us I'd guess...

just seen the bbcs saying he's cutting short his holiday to have talks with them... changed his tune, sure he said a few weeks ago they'd have to either talk to him before he goes or wait till he came back :ph34r:

That suits me. Would rather it was sorted sooner rather than later...

I understand the reasons why McCall would leave, however it’s a pity as I genuinely believe another SPL team could potentially challenge Celtic for next seasons title. With Celtic likely to be involved in another heavy euro schedule and Rangers out of the equation, I firmly believe the title could go to the wire. This would require a team to stay injury and suspension free for most of the season, however given a bit of luck along the way a team could emulate the great 80s Dundee United team and lift the title.

How good would that look on a managers CV?

I understand the reasons why McCall would leave, however it's a pity as I genuinely believe another SPL team could potentially challenge Celtic for next seasons title. With Celtic likely to be involved in another heavy euro schedule and Rangers out of the equation, I firmly believe the title could go to the wire. This would require a team to stay injury and suspension free for most of the season, however given a bit of luck along the way a team could emulate the great 80s Dundee United team and lift the title.

How good would that look on a managers CV?

That would only be remotely possible if he could kep the current team together and add another couple of quality players. Considering his team is about to broken up and the budget cut he may feel as if he has taken us as far as he can.

Aye, thoughts of us challenging Celtic next season is nothing but fantasy. In the way it was this year. Anyone who thinks Celtic would have become so casual away from home after Christmas if they weren't miles ahead is on cloud cuckoo land.

However I am grateful to Sheffield Utd to waiting until the end of the season before doing this and letting us concentrate on finishing 2nd. I would now like them to do whatever they are going to do rapid so we can get on with what we need to do before getting ready for next season. We have an early start next season so we need to get cracking.

Heard a rumour that we've sounded out Alan Irvine as a possible replacement should McCall get the Sheffield Utd job.

Don't know if there's anything in it but certainly a name I hadn't thought of...

Thats not a name that I think many would've came up with on here but matches the profile of someone who we'd likely go for.