Pre-Season 2013/14 Thread

Toxteth O'Grady

Aye but the Daily Record published an article with the headline "GREGGS IN TALKS WITH SPL OVER PLANS TO TAKE CONTROL OF HALF-TIME PIE MARKET"

and then finished the same article with "A Greggs spokeswoman said : "we have no plans to supply the Scottish Premier League"

It's not the clubs job to sweep up after that shite.

• Like 1

It's not the clubs job to sweep up after that shite.

No, but it would be nice. Seems daft not to let folk know. The issue seems to be whether or not Donnys pitch will be ready as the game has been agreed in principle, but it would be a shame for fans to miss out because it ends up being announced at short notice.

Just curious...why is everyone so keen for this friendly with Doncaster?

Is there some link between the clubs I'm unaware of or something?

Seems to be a lot of interest for a friendly with a bottom end championship team.

Just curious...why is everyone so keen for this friendly with Doncaster?

Is there some link between the clubs I'm unaware of or something?

Seems to be a lot of interest for a friendly with a bottom end championship team.

fatcalf has, I recall from posts on here and articles in One Step Beyond, a long time friendship with a Doncaster fan but links beyond that not as far as I'm aware.

But as for the desire for such a game? It could be Doncaster, York, Carlisle or PNE etc . For most it doesn't really matter. A pre-season game at any northern English team is one to whet the appetite for the merriment it can deliver.

There have been some cracking trips to places such as Carlisle, Hartlepool, Darlington, Ashington and Spennymoor/Durham to name but a few over the years. Think along the lines of Llanelli down in Wales and you'll get the idea. Almost always well received (Carlisle has been known to be slightly different on occasion), great days out, friendships made, good swally and a chance to see your team play somewhere the chances are you'll never be back at.

Possibly the worst game ever. Right up there with the IFK Gotenburg friendly at Fir Park.

Ashington wis a'right, who goes to watch the game anyway :evilgrin::whistling:

Highlight wis their right back taking one in the chookies and Big Horse sauntering over from the terracing to offer him a drink of his pint, which was duly accepted and player went back to his game refreshed. :thumbup:

fatcalf has, I recall from posts on here and articles in One Step Beyond, a long time friendship with a Doncaster fan but links beyond that not as far as I'm aware.

But as for the desire for such a game? It could be Doncaster, York, Carlisle or PNE etc . For most it doesn't really matter. A pre-season game at any northern English team is one to whet the appetite for the merriment it can deliver.

There have been some cracking trips to places such as Carlisle, Hartlepool, Darlington, Ashington and Spennymoor/Durham to name but a few over the years. Think along the lines of Llanelli down in Wales and you'll get the idea. Almost always well received (Carlisle has been known to be slightly different on occasion), great days out, friendships made, good swally and a chance to see your team play somewhere the chances are you'll never be back at.

Pretty much spot on Andy although there are a few more friendships between Donny and Well fans I believe. Frazzles crowd through big Gav as well as some of my mates who joined me on many trips to see them in the 80s. Some of them have been on the phone wanting to travel if this went ahead to renew old acquaintances. Used to be a good few Donny lads travel up here for our last game every season until the SPL started fucking that up with their daft split then moving final game to Sundays. That said there were many more English clubs represented on the last day as well, 1994 saw groups of lads from Donny, Aldershot, Northampton, West Brom, Leeds and possibly more I can't remember all with their Well contact in amongst them at different spots on the terracing behind the goal. Good days them

Ashington wis a'right, who goes to watch the game anyway :evilgrin::whistling:

Highlight wis their right back taking one in the chookies and Big Horse sauntering over from the terracing to offer him a drink of his pint, which was duly accepted and player went back to his game refreshed. :thumbup:

Was a great day out ------ plenty cheap drink in their Social Club then asking the barman how to get to the turnstyles. He came out from behind the bar, wondered over to a wall and pulled open a sliding door ----- low and behold we're at the back of their covered terrace and he let us take our pints in and kept serving us the whole game.

250 a side game at half-time was quite a spectacle.

Great Day Out ---------------- games like that were our Europe back then. Hartlepool was another great trip, as was Sheffield United aka WWIII

:whistling:

Cheers, for the clarification, its the fans fault that there is little value left in Scottish football :thumbup:

yip I laughed and sighed, forgot the tears smillie :cheers:

surprised concessions are being asked to pay the full price,

some will say its a premiership team so what else do you expect to pay?,

some will say they go to watch Motherwell, not a Newcastle XI , who are cold off a summer break and with international players who have only reported back a couple of days earlier,

some will say friendlies should never be more than £10 or £12, total non events as football matches

some will say friendlies at Fir Park, are the dogs danglies, well maybe not...

I'll just be glad when competitive football is back we'll hopefully have a squad by then, hell if there is a couple of moderate value friendlies I might even join in with them