2016/17 Ins & Outs

David

Swings and roundabouts. We get low ball offers, so we make low ball offers to other clubs. We are in the same shit as most others.

Every club is shedding costs, reducing wage bills and player numbers . Consequently, the pool of available players will grow, driving down wages. A situation we can take advantage of.

Long term this isn't beneficial for anyone , but short term it may bridge the gap until we hopefully finally reap rewards from the sale of homegrown talent

Murphy was clearly the best player at the club but McCall gave Ojaama and Law chances playing off the striker while sticking Murphy out wide where he spent a lot of time defending.

The hype about Goodwillie was largely down the BBC but as Joeboy said United went all out to market him. We didn't do that with Murphy but unless McCall is building the team around him it's hard to promote him as a seven figure player.

The situation we're in, selling a player for 200-300k each season would be a big help. If could have a 1 million quid transfer that would be great business, but even 200k represents a significant % of our turnover.

We did well with Ojamaa and Anier, but then we seemed to stop being interested in selling anyone.

Much of the transfer value is determined by how much the player has left in their contract, what they are getting paid, and the cost of development, i.e. Compensation. The value can be driven up if the player is in demand, so clubs have to bid against each other. Selling guys with a year left on their deal to the only club that wants them isn't going to generate millions.

Other clubs aren't out there to do us a favour, if they are low-balling us we can always reject it, but there's more to it than that. Also, clubs dont just rely the well society q&a on periscope or quotes in the sun to know our situation, clubs do their homework.

I'll be honest and say that I think the Anier deal was one of the best we have done in years. Sign a guy on loan who does well, get him permanently on a free, then punt him for a decent profit in the summer when his form had ran out.

If there was one winner out of Henri Anier's career, it was Motherwell!

Murphy was clearly the best player at the club but McCall gave Ojaama and Law chances playing off the striker while sticking Murphy out wide where he spent a lot of time defending.

The hype about Goodwillie was largely down the BBC but as Joeboy said United went all out to market him. We didn't do that with Murphy but unless McCall is building the team around him it's hard to promote him as a seven figure player.

I was a big fan of Jamie Murphy but I think you'd have to say that David Goodwillie came into the Dundee Utd team as a more fully developed player. He made an impact almost straight away while It took Murphy quite a number of seasons to build up his confidence. He was also physically frailer and there was always a degree of confusion as to what his best position was - was he a forward, a winger, a midfielder? He settled into the wing left position but again it took a while for that to happen, there was no such confusion with David Goodwillie.

Two more things, David Goodwillie was a full international as a Dundee Utd player, Murphy still doesn't have a cap and that effects your market value, secondly Dundee Utd got a great price for him because there will multiple big money clubs all interested in him and his signature turned into an auction. Again, that didn't happen with Murphy.

I don't agree that Goodwillie was definitely a better player. Murphy was played ahead of him for the U21s. Murphy would have matched Goodwillie's goals if he had played up front all the time.

Dundee United were extremely lucky that Levein was Scotland manager and that two idiots of the calibre of McCoist and Steve Kean were in position to bid against each other.

I think Goodwillie did look a more physically complete player back then, not necessarily technically better than Murphy, but I do concede he was worth more. However, nowhere near 2 million more...

I can recall Murphy and Bannan being a step above for the u21s while Goodwillie and Griffiths sat on the reason.

For whatever reason, we couldn't generate the interest in Murphy, Hutchinson and Randolph that there quality deserved. All water under the bridge now though.

As far as I know there were no other clubs represented at the meeting last night. What he says in private is not what he'll say to other clubs. Jim McMahon won't be pushed around as easily as you think.

think we will take whatever cash we can dave as were skint

we are not playing any away friendly's as we have no spare cash

David Goodwillie's attitude was that he was absolutely brilliant, and United's public attitude was that they were lucky to have him.

Jamie Murphy's attitude was that he was happy to be here, and the club's public attitude was that we were happy to have him.

The media picked up on both of those.

That's your difference in price-bracket right there...ability had relatively little to do with it, and wouldn't have unless one was spectacularly good or spectacularly bad which wasn't the case, they were much-of-a-muchness.

Two people punting the exact same item on ebay: Someone who is an ebay machine will sell it for 2/3/4 times the price of some ordinary punter who's just clearing space in a cupboard.

• Like 1

Glad to have them signed up again though! Thought Ferguson played well in the Youth Cup final and is certainly someone who could grow into that center back role. If Ben Hall goes elsewhere, i'd like to see him get a run to prove himself! Craig Moore is someone who knows where the net is and will be brilliant cover for McDonald and Moult. Sampson, proven keeper in this league! Positive signings that i don't imagine would break the bank!

Edited by proudtobeawellfan