2016/17 Ins & Outs

David

Note the club announcement of the squad numbers today - can you see McDonald's name anywhere?

No?

That's because he's a free agent - by dint, automatically freed, because the club reneged on the second year of his deal.

The club didn't "renege" on any part of his deal. They had an option, not a commitment. If they decided not to exercise that option, no promises were broken.

The option with McDonald was the players choice not the club. Why do people find this so difficult to understand?

Because it literally makes no sense.

Every eligible player has the option to sign for us if we ask them.

Or are you saying he has a contract where he can force us to sign him even if we don't want him?

Rather than a 1 year deal with the option of a years extension, think of it as a committed 2 year deal from our side, with a clause whereby he can walk away after one should he wish.

Like Steelboy I was also led to believe this was the case.

• Like 1

Did that Dunfermline beach soccer player (or whatever he was) sign for an English team?

nah, he's still kicking about. Dundee were rumoured to be interested but they've just signed Michael Duffy on loan from Celtic (another that we were randomly linked with ages ago)

Edit: Kenny Millar now reporting McDonald's move to Hibs is now OFF.

Hopefully the Skippy situation can be concluded this week, Unless Hibs are offering substantially more money, which I doubt, I struggle why he opt to step down to the Championship. Particularly at a time when the Premier League is boosting its profile with the arrival of some decent players.

Regarding the Dunfermline boy, an offer is on the table and he is considering his options.

Hopefully the Skippy situation can be concluded this week, Unless Hibs are offering substantially more money, which I doubt, I struggle why he opt to step down to the Championship. Particularly at a time when the Premier League is boosting its profile with the arrival of some decent players.

Regarding the Dunfermline boy, an offer is on the table and he is considering his options.

It will be one or other surely as we don't need 5 first team strikers. El Bakhtaoui looks a decent prospect but I'd rather have last seasons player of the year and one of the best players to wear the shirt in the last 30 seasons.

• Like 2

It will be one or other surely as we don't need 5 first team strikers. El Bakhtaoui looks a decent prospect but I'd rather have last seasons player of the year and one of the best players to wear the shirt in the last 30 seasons.

I'd agree. Far to much risk attached to El Bakhtaoui to consider him as a replacement for McDonald. I'd consider him to be a more appropriate replacement for Ainsworth, should he move on.

• Like 1

Moore and Blyth are in the same bracket as Moore, Clarkson and Fletcher last year. It's possible that they will contribute nothing.

Or are you saying he has a contract where he can force us to sign him even if we don't want him?

Last July he signed a deal for season 2015/16. The deal also gives him the option to sign for season 2016/17 on the same terms if he chooses to do so.

Moore and Blyth are in the same bracket as Moore, Clarkson and Fletcher last year. It's possible that they will contribute nothing.

Wouldn't say Blyth is, he has been giving a two year deal with another year option. And he is very promising and I'd like to think he'd get a good chance

McDonald was brought in when the club had considerably more funds and we also, if anyone remembers, had another five strikers on the books. Very different times.

Blyth perhaps came here to establish himself and then win a move to a championship club, something Hibs, Hearts, Celtic and most definitely Dundee United have achieved with selling players on, both in Scotland and to English leagues.

On McDonald's contractual situation...

It is essentially to secure the services of a player if their first year works out, so we get first refusal.

We offered the same sort of deal to Fletcher at the beginning of last season, but chose to release him.

Contractually, we need to honour the deal outlined when the player first signed, so in the case of McDonald if the club are offering reduced terms, the option is not binding and the player is free to pursue other options.

Speculating, McDonald maybe looking for a two year deal on similar wages to what he was being paid last season, something which Hibs or another club might be in a better position to offer.

• Like 1

Robbie Leitch showed a good amount of promise the times I saw him - which was quite a few. But he wouldn't be near the first team as yet and very much in the 'decent prospect' category. Shame to lose a promising youth but no huge deal from my point of view.