David Clarkson

Juan Kerse

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Haha aye mate it was a classic night! I fucking hate beer tae. Enjoy yerself?

:thumbup: I mind you saying that every time you opened a Stella!! I was mortal. We left at 4 to get a taxi to swansea then two trains and a bus to cardiff airport to get a flight at 7 to Edinburgh for T in the park!! Nonsense. Cannae mind being on a plane!!

:lol::lol: We went back to ours and carried on the party, I was fucked and ended up falling asleep outside. Thank god I drove on the way doon and no the way back.

Was nice meeting you mate, cheers for the stellas!

No problem!! Did that other boy go back with you and carry on his sing song of 'I hope you die in your sleep (insert random old footballer here) !! Was insane patter!! :lol:

Clarkson will get found out in the championship. It would not surprise me if he scores less than 5 goals and ends up being sold back to somewhere in Scotland for a small fee or a loan spell.

I agree with that, I don't think he'll be able to cut it in the Championship :blush:

Agree with Maxi and GazzyB here. The Championship is lightyears ahead of the SPL in terms of quality and as good as Clarky faired with us, I still can't see him being able to cut it down there.CH
Championship defences leak goals. Wolves won the title concdeing 52 goals, Burnley conceded 60 in 5th place and Preston 54. Watford, comfortably in mid-table managed to concede an impressive 72! Compare that to the top teams in the EPL (Man U conceded 24, Liverpool 27, Chelsea 24) and you can see why the promoted teams often struggle.

If you are a striker in that league, you are going to get plenty of chances.

Clarkson will get found out in the championship. It would not surprise me if he scores less than 5 goals and ends up being sold back to somewhere in Scotland for a small fee or a loan spell.

Aye, you are right. Some like Clarkson from the SPL proved will no doubt be rubbish. Ross McCormack proved that at Cardiff :blush:

You really are clueless.

Aye, you are right. Some like Clarkson from the SPL proved will no doubt be rubbish. Ross McCormack proved that at Cardiff :blush:

You really are clueless.

Big difference here though mate. Rossco cut the mustard down south because he is versatile in the fact that he can play either out wide or up front. With Clarky he's only effective up top imo. So no, he's not clueless at all because if Clarky is played at left mid for Bristol City then he won't be a success down there.

Aye, you are right. Some like Clarkson from the SPL proved will no doubt be rubbish. Ross McCormack proved that at Cardiff :lol:

You really are clueless.

I'm going to get pelters for this but Ross McCormack is alot better than the player Clarkson will ever become. Clarkson can score a tap in and has work ethic but with that he also has a first touch like a donkey, dives and is persistently offside and cannot deal with defenders with a big stature which is what most defences are in the championship.

McCormack is a more talented player and will probably end up in the Preimership either with Cardiff or with a lower half side. Clarkson,I think, will be fine in the Championship. Probably not a stand out but works hard enough and has enough about him to be OK.

I'm going to get pelters for this but Ross McCormack is alot better than the player Clarkson will ever become. Clarkson can score a tap in and has work ethic but with that he also has a first touch like a donkey, dives and is persistently offside and cannot deal with defenders with a big stature which is what most defences are in the championship.

Totally agree with this mate. A lot of folk have this David Clarkson love in. I read people telling Bristol fans that he was skillful etc. I have to disagree. He has technique at times, but in general his touch isn't good enough. I think physically he is really going to struggle. I remember reading something by a guy who was at Reading when Tommy Burns was manager. He said that technically all the scots guys that were brought down were as good if not better than all the english guys. But none of them cut it - simply due to a lack of physique or ability to put themselves about properly. The guys round about me at Fir Park all agree that Clarkson's lack of upper body strength is what will stop him ever hacking it a higher level. I know some folk with say Clarkson can put himself about, but he ends up on the ground more often than getting in about the big defenders.

I hope though, that he does well down south and I've got nothing but respect for the guy as a person.

BTW the championship season is 8 games longer, so there are always going to be more goals conceded. I'm not disagreeing with the previous point about it being less tight than the premiership, but the numbers aren't always what they seem at a glance.

Clarkson scores goals, and works hard. They say genius is 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration. While Clarky will never have the natural talent of a Rosco, to finish top scorer outside the OF in a team that ended up 7th in the league, means the guy has something to offer.

People also tend to forget how young he is. Conventional wisdom is that strikers don't peak until they are around 28. That gives the boy another few years of improvement.

Clarkson scores goals, and works hard. They say genius is 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration. While Clarky will never have the natural talent of a Rosco, to finish top scorer outside the OF in a team that ended up 7th in the league, means the guy has something to offer.

People also tend to forget how young he is. Conventional wisdom is that strikers don't peak until they are around 28. That gives the boy another few years of improvement.

C'mon weeyin, he's 23 for fuck sakes, it's a younger mans game nowadays....Rooney's 23 and he's been at Man Utd for 5 years or so after a 27 million transfer, Del Piero got his first cap for Italy when he was 18, Benzema's just went to Real Madrid for 30 odd million and he's 21.......the age thing disnae cut it nowadays.

I'm not for one trying to compare Clarkson to any of the above, but using his age to defend his progress / potential (or lack of), for me just disnae cut it.

What lack of progress? The guy has harnessed what talent he has to be the top non-OF scorer last season, get into the international squad and swing a move to the Championship. Considering the pelters he took for half of his Motherwell career, that's not too bad.