Paul Mcgrillen

Guest 'Flow

Total shock, yet again!! What a great guy he was, one of life's gentlemen.

Thoughts are with Paul's family and friends at this time.

Wilson Humphries and his wife also taught me so sad to hear Mrs Humphries has also passed away today.

PAUL, RIP

Really saddened to hear the news, and even more disturbing if the rumoured way of passing proves to be correct.

My memories of Mowgli are of a genuine talent who got slightly lost along the way and never quite fully showed his full potential albeit carving out a long and very successful senior (and junior) career.

But he was always a player I really really liked.

I was lucky enough that my old man took me to a pile of reserve and youth games and he was outstanding at that level as a youngster at the time. He was head and shoulders above most in that youth cup team and as we reminisced in the reserve game thread recently, he scored 4 against Rangers in one game which brought him into the thinking of McLean for his 1991 Cup Final Squad.

His early introduction into the first team brought some success, particularly that purple patch at the start of the 1993'94 season where he put away something like half a dozen goals before September was out.

But he seemed to lose his form slightly at the worst possible time with the Cobra soon to arrive on the scene and he never quite seemed to be rated by Alex McLeish unfortunately.

Like others have said on the two occasions I had the pleasure to bump into him while we was a Motherwell player, he was happy enough to speak away to me and spoke positively about the club.

Really sorry to hear the news and my thoughts are with his family today.

I've been thinking about which of his goals I remember most - and it wasn't for us !

It was Paul's goal which he scored for Falkirk in the 1997 Scottish Cup semi final replay against Celtic which took the Bairns to the final. I remember celebrating that goal and result as though it was a Motherwell game - was delighted for him.

Circumstances were similar to ours in 1991 - drew the first game with Celtic, and according to "experts" you don't get a second chance against the Old Firm ........oh really !

Stuart.

Another one taken from the world far too early, with a young family.

One of my friends worked with him and was good friends with him and his family. She's absolutely gutted. Very sad news :cheers:

RIP

I remember a home games versus Hearts early in the 93/94 season when we "hammered" Hearts 2-0 and McGrillen and O'Donnell got the goals. Unbelievable that both guys are now gone. Was McGrillen not also the sub that Tommy McLean subbed for not doing what he was told...? :cheers:

Sad news...

was that not the 12th Sept? O`Donnells goal was a drive from 18 yards? I remember that game if im thinking bout the right one, was my birthday and i was going nuts in the main stand. McGrillen was one of my favs when I was wee (well younger anyway lol)

Sad Sad news,

RIP Mowgli

thoughts with the family