Jg In Today's Rancid

jammyget

And it's that attitude that has kept Scottish teams uncompetitive in Europe and at international level in recent times. Once you step up to a decent level, basic technique wins out over grinding most of the time.

Give me JG's team over Malpas' team any day of the week.

Indeed when you go out with the mindset of win at all costs and try and stifle the game then it is the death of football. As a fan if the game turns out dire I'm not going to complain if we win the game 1-0 through a sclaffed shout that bounces of Suttons backside and in. That isn't likely to go your way week in week out though.

Where as is if you are brave enough to go out and play a style that is entertaining at least when things do go against you might at least have had some entertainment out of it. People are more likely to want to come back.

Saturdays game there for instance, if we play like we did in the first half we'll all be trooping in through the gates with apathy at another afternoon of flat uninspiring footbal. That definately includes Frazzle, I stand close enough to you most weeks to see what you were like under Malpas and McGhee at times last season. Fun sooked right out of it.

Where as if we play more like the 2nd half display, win lose or draw you'll be back with a bit of hope and expectation looking forward to the games. We're always happy to take awin however it comes but how you at least try to go about it makes the world of difference.

I take your point, but a manager of a football team has a responsibilty to win the game, not to sell the brand that is football.

Football to me is about passion and desire, and that's why I'd rather watch my team win 1-0 in a dire encounter in the pissing rain than watch Barca-Real play out a breathtaking 4-4 draw in a sun-soaked Nou Camp.

Maybe that's where the difference lies - I'm in a minority who, while I appreciate good football, am not gripped by watching the Champions League/World Cup/etc unless my team is in it.

Out of curiosity, would you feel the same about JG's team if the average age was closer to 30 rather than 20?
I don't care what the age is. I care how they approach the game. I like to see passing and movement. Lumping long balls and hardworking headless chickens are not for me.

I take your point, but a manager of a football team has a responsibilty to win the game, not to sell the brand that is football.

Football to me is about passion and desire, and that's why I'd rather watch my team win 1-0 in a dire encounter in the pissing rain than watch Barca-Real play out a breathtaking 4-4 draw in a sun-soaked Nou Camp.

Maybe that's where the difference lies - I'm in a minority who, while I appreciate good football, am not gripped by watching the Champions League/World Cup/etc unless my team is in it.

I know what you mean. I'll enjoy that 4-4 thriller but it won't mean a whole lot to me. Where as a the Motherwell 1-0 will.

But I think everyone involved in football has a certain responsibility to make it worth watching. Some more so than others, but it skill and goals and so on that get us excited. So much more so when it in a claret and amber jersey. You might be able to live on bread and water but it doesn't make for a great dinner. And for the 15th meal in a row you start thinking that not eating isn't such a bad thing.

I'd not be happy if Motherwell played easy on the eye football and went down. I'd even more unhappy if we were diabolical to watch and still went down.

If we are grim to watch and win something I'll be delighted but I'd take so much more joy in it if we are good to watch and do so. None of these ends are results we can pick anyway but we have to strive for better than mediocrity or what is the point?

Yes i enjoyed the game on saturday but our next 4 games home to Killie and Rangers away to Dundee Utd and Aberdeen?? are on paper tough games. It's great to play good football but surely a decent centre half to help our defence is URGENT! We'll have to grow up pretty quickly in this league.

I would imagine the fans who just simply want Motherwell to win, no matter how dire the game itself is, go to Fir Park regularly. The hardcore, if you like. If we won ugly, they'd be there next week. If we lost ugly, they'd be there next week.

However, there are another group, who still support Motherwell and should still be classed equally as fans, who want to see exciting, flowing football. With the quality of football, conditions and extortionate prices, they don't want to pay £20+ to watch a boring game of football in the freezing rain for two hours.

If teams did try to entertain, more of these fans may be interested in returning more regularly. Scottish football is in real financial difficulties. Maybe these are the types of fans the 12 clubs of the SPL need to be trying to attract...

If teams did try to entertain, more of these fans may be interested in returning more regularly. Scottish football is in real financial difficulties. Maybe these are the types of fans the 12 clubs of the SPL need to be trying to attract...

we were playing some of the best fitba ever seen at fir park two years ago and it made almost no impact on attendances.

I couldn't agree more. I find now that I can't watch Spanish football as it infuriates me how little urgency they have. Most nations you'll find if they are a goal down with ten to go, they'll throw on another striker, or make some plan to get back in the game, but every time you see this in a Spanish game, they just as ever, pussyfoot around, playing tippy tappy 5 yard passes.

I was having a heating discussion last week about Stoke City to someone. I grew very fond of them last season, the person I was arguing with claimed Rory Delap's long shies "weren't football" and that was how Stoke scored all their goals. But for me, watching a team grind out results, with all their fans behind them, happy that they have a team to support- that's football for me.

I couldn't agree more. I find now that I can't watch Spanish football as it infuriates me how little urgency they have. Most nations you'll find if they are a goal down with ten to go, they'll throw on another striker, or make some plan to get back in the game, but every time you see this in a Spanish game, they just as ever, pussyfoot around, playing tippy tappy 5 yard passes.

I was having a heating discussion last week about Stoke City to someone. I grew very fond of them last season, the person I was arguing with claimed Rory Delap's long shies "weren't football" and that was how Stoke scored all their goals. But for me, watching a team grind out results, with all their fans behind them, happy that they have a team to support- that's football for me.

I agree with your point about Stoke,I warmed to them last season as well but surely there should be room for all styles of play. A big part of Stoke's attraction was watching them encounter the likes of Arsenal at home and the resultant contrast of philosophies.

I know it was a different era but I followed the," ANCELL BABES" , home and away, all through the Fifties and early Sixties.

They didn't win any cups or leagues got to a few semi finals though.

Bobby Ancell was advocating summer football, short pasing, keeping the ball on the deck etc. long before anyone else.

I and many others followed them because their style of football was outstanding as I said on the last site buses came from all over Scotland to watch them.

I remember packed terracing and even sways, like in pictures of the old Kop.

Football was a working class game. Saturday was for the Fitba' not shopping with the wife at Ikea or playing golf or any other middle class pursuits.

There is no hard core working class any more everyone is aspiring to become upper middle class. No steelworks, no fitters, no large boilmaker plants, only one or two shipyards there was very few cars, now we have 2 and 3 car families.

I could rant away for the rest of the morning but as has been mentioned before Thatcher,the Tories and greed changed the face of Britain.

The SPL was formed through greed especially the Bigot Brothers but the wee teams followed along at their a**e.

We need an 18 team first divivsion not an elitist premier league if they want more TV coverage then build up the League Cup. Every player must sign a 3 year contract, that way there might be more stability.

Anyway rant over. I'm away for a drink :cheers::cheers: