Motherwell V Rangers

garymurdoch

This may be controversial but do you think there is a chance that Dougie McDonald might just be emerging as our best referee ? I've seen him officiate at a number of Old Firm matches and he has handled them very well and already this season he has got two major decisions (against the Old Firm, no less) absolutely spot on despite just about every person thinking the decision was wrong at first look. Just wondering.......

Yes,I found myself thinking something similar after Saturday. He must be nearing the end of his refereeing career and as such,maybe he's not too bothered about upsetting the OF or impressing the bosses to get some juicy European matches. Sending off McGeady and Bougherra,late penalities and the like. He'll need to watch his windows mind.

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

what about all the decisions he got incorrect?

throw ins, ach who knows I'll just give it to Rangers, Corners claims, ach I'm not sure I'll just give it to Rangers??

JG was furious with him in the first half, he was even counting up each incorrect call and intimating this to the Ref.

yes he gave us a penalty and his second half performance was competent but I'm not ready to be singing his praises just yet.

I've said in another thread at one point I muttered he's having a good game,e.g allowing advantage to us then bringing it back after a scything tackle on Murph, but then he bollocksed it all by error after error only then make a few good decisions later in the game.

Edit: but aye the east stand linesman, should never be allowed near a game until intensive surgery to remove his big team bias

what about all the decisions he got incorrect?

throw ins, ach who knows I'll just give it to Rangers, Corners claims, ach I'm not sure I'll just give it to Rangers??

JG was furious with him in the first half, he was even counting up each incorrect call and intimating this to the Ref.

yes he gave us a penalty and his second half performance was competent but I'm not ready to be singing his praises just yet

Throw-ins are usually awarded by assistant refs. I'm not sure what incidents you're refering to as regards corners.Thinking back,he should have booked Papac(?) for deliberate handball in the first half.

Of course Gannon was annoyed at him. Most folk with an emotional attachment to the outcome usually are. I booed McDonald at half-time,it's more a habit than anything else.

Competent displays by refs against the OF will do me every time.

there was 2 times he looked at his linesman (main stand) in the 1st half for help and when none came awarded Rangers the decision when it was clearly Well ball. Wasnt his worst game but he is still a dodgy ref. Reading that Rancid report , cannot believe Weir got motm, joke that is!!!!

Hahahaha. Thanks -I thought you'd made that up,it's a belter. Against my better judgement I clicked on their website and it's there in black and white. The old guy that sits in front of me in the Main predicted he'd get a nine so he was only slightly out,still he got MoTM.

5 out of 10 for McDonald? He had a fine game I thought. Only shocker that I can recall was free-kick against Coke in the 1st half. He was occasionly let down by his linesmen.

Did you read the match report?

The opening paragraphs are something else:

HE was earning his first pay packets when most of this Motherwell side were still being toilet trained.

But on Saturday the miraculous Davie Weirs trode into the middle of Fir Park's play pen and stopped Jim Gannon's tearaways from flushing Rangers' slender SPL lead down the pan.

He may be slowly Stannah stairlifting his way towards birthday No.40. He may have been limping his way through his third game in eight days. And for one awful first-half moment, when he let out a blood-curdling scream then lay crumpled on Motherwell's immaculate new playing surface with his left leg bent at an improbable angle, it seemed as if the end was coming quicker than anyone would wish.

But the man who lifted last season's league trophy is not about to let go of it that easily.

Weir, before our very eyes, is becoming a phenomenon.